R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"no ceramic heater"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "no ceramic heater"
    Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:31pm
Hi all
This probably isn't really worth posting but had me curious. I just ordered a heater for my new 178. Why waste the propane when hooked up at the power pedestal right. I ordered a ceramic heater, and ended up ordering one on the expensive side. I wanted one that wasn't too large dimension wise, had the tip over safety feature, could be adjusted to both 1500w and a lesser amount for watt management while camping etc. The heater that I ended up with that met all the criteria was one of the pricier ones...oh well. 

Then this morning (the day after my order) I happen to be reading the Forest River "Travel Trailer Owner's Manual" that came with my R-Pod. This is Forest River's generic manual that covers all the trailers. While reading I came to the "Condensation and Humidity" section where it gives you common sense advice  where to try and keep the humidity level, buy a cheap monitor, consider a small dehumidifier, use vent, open windows when showering..etc...etc. then I came across the last paragraph/suggestion

"Do not use a ceramic heater as it provides no air movement, which will not aid in ridding the RV of condensation."

I basically decided not to pay any attention to this, but thought it was kind of odd that FR would go out of their way to state this. Maybe it won't help condensation, but it can't hurt...can it?

John

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:26pm
If the electric ceramic heater has a fan (and all the ones I have seen do have one), then it does provide air movement. The only electric heaters I have seen which do not provide for air movement are ones like the parabolic bowl radiant heaters which do not have a fan. In that case, simply running a fan will help with air circulation.

What will cause problems is a propane powered heater like the Mr. Heater Portable. It burns propane, thus generating moisture. It also lacks a fan. If one is using one of these, then running a fan will provide the air circulation. One also needs to provide for ventilation as per the instructions. One does not want to run the propane heater in a sealed environment. That would be inviting Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 3:49pm
+1 to SH. I have a ceramic heater in my Pod, during the winter, I crack the bathroom vent, I also have a vent cover that protects the vent from weather. I have never had a condensation issue. I keep the Pod at 55-60 degrees and use the Pod as my man cave in the winter. I recently spent 8 weeks in the Pod (improved campground) due to a work issue, never once used any propane to heat. The ceramic heater consistently kept the interior at 70+ and never kicked a circuit bkr. I tried an experiment with two heaters on low and the circuit breaker consistently kicked. Appears all outlets in my 178 are on the same ckt bkr - the same one as reefer. I shut the reefer off and ckt bkr still kicked. I use the bathroom vent all year long, it freshens the Pod up, two people and an 80 lb dog:). In the summer I replace the ceramic heater with a fan, so I don't have to run the noisy AC at night.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:08pm
+2 with SH and mcarter
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:41pm
6th winter, all with a small ceramic heater with an even smaller fan.. no issues.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:03pm
I have never seen a ceramic heater that doesn't move air using a fan. Maybe they were thinking of catalytic heaters?
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:11pm
Agree with all the above.  We had problems with the circuit breaker tripping when we used the 1500w setting with our ceramic heater.  However, using the lower setting of 1000w has been the ticket for us; no problems, pod stays warm, and very little condensation, providing we open a window and ceiling vent for air circulation.  Since we don't have A/C we open that particular ceiling vent about 1/2" with one or two windows open about the same, depending on weather conditions.  It is nice when we aren't boondocking to use the ceramic heater, much quieter than using the furnace - that often wakes me up when it first turns on.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:18pm
The key is to always keep a window and the vent cracked open even in winter.  2 people perspire and exhale something like a liter of water overnight.  BTW the Buddy heater (at least the larger one) does have a fan although I never use the one on mine.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply