R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYamaha 2400/ Towing 2 Cents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha 2400/ Towing 2 Cents
    Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:21pm
I had that Yamaha and it didn't have a problem.  However you lose power the higher you go and the hotter it is, so you can lose up to 1/3 of your power at altitude on a hot day.  Plus the A/C is harder to start the hotter it is.  So it might work fine in your driveway but not work right when you need it the most.  Use synthetic oil and test it on the hottest day of the year.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Farrier2112 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 9:25am
Thanks for the info.  Why Synthetic oil?  What weight and brand should I buy?  I've been using ethanol free gas in all my small engines.  I foresee a problem if I need to buy more gas in different states.  Thanks again for your help,
Blue Highways View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 10:12am
Wow, GREAT intelligent discussions. I would say R-Pod owners here are 'smarter than the average bear'. 

Stephen, I could have appreciated you as a valued math & physics tutor back in school for sure....

Sometimes, I will rack up a little extra momentum on a highway that's dipping across a valley, in order to get past a cluster of Semi trucks that are really going to bog down on the next incline.

I really got Our Pod's message about the increased energy (21%) in a crash based on the factor of elevated speed. 

Maybe I will reconsider, and "tow slow, amigo

( I mean, what's the hurry, the campsite's reserved. )

Thanks all,

--B
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Blue Highways

Wow, GREAT intelligent discussions. I would say R-Pod owners here are 'smarter than the average bear'. 

Stephen, I could have appreciated you as a valued math & physics tutor back in school for sure....

Sometimes, I will rack up a little extra momentum on a highway that's dipping across a valley, in order to get past a cluster of Semi trucks that are really going to bog down on the next incline.

I really got Our Pod's message about the increased energy (21%) in a crash based on the factor of elevated speed. 

Maybe I will reconsider, and "tow slow, amigo

( I mean, what's the hurry, the campsite's reserved. )

Thanks all,

--B

I think you mean Our Pod for the physics tutor. He is the one that gave the formula. I was just using it to generate some examples. I also got the message.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by StephenH

An increase from 60 to 75 mph yields an increase of 56%.

This thing I learned today. After 65MPH my mileage plummets, now I understand why. 

Thanks! John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:47am
i drove from chicago to key west and back on mostly interstates at 60 mph with 178 rpod and passed only 2 vehicles (not counting mountain areas). Every single semi passed me and there was a lot of them. By the way I experienced sway (with a sway bar) from some semis after they passed not during or before they passed. and only some semis not most of them. Weird huh?

2016 Grand Caravan was TV
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:04am
Not all semis are set up he same. Some have the panels for directing airflow at the bottom. It may be those that send more of a surge of air your way and cause more sway. I noticed it as well, but I did not note which ones were the ones which caused more sway. I'll have to try to figure that out next time we are out. Also the speed at which the semis are traveling relative to you probably play a factor in it as well.

Of course, if one is in front of you and traveling at the same relative speed, it is nice to drop in behind and take advantage of some drafting help. I don't like to follow close enough to take full advantage though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12