Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrpods for travel sports teams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rpods for travel sports teams
    Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 1:37am
Hey folks.  I am looking into a camper of some sort for my son's traveling lacrosse team.  We are new to the travel lacrosse scene, but looking around and talking to some of the other folks, it seems that a camper of some sort is the way to go.

It would just be me and him on the trips, as the wife has to work.  A buddy of mine told me about the rpods and I thought I would get the skinny straight from the owners.

So, as far as this type of scenario goes, what are your thoughts?  For lacrosse, you  have a gear bag about the size of a large bat bag, some clothes and thats about it for a weekend trip.

I am interested to hear what you all have to say.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 6:51am
It should work out pretty well for you.  There is a storage compartment that goes all the way across the back that should hold your equipment. 

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
laxchatter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 8:23am
What about options, like TV, grills, etc.  I saw another rpod'ish type pull behind that had a slide out grill and the back end sort of opened up to make like a party area.

Like I said, I am pretty new to this.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 12:35pm
Your best be is to go to the Forest River web site and see what they have.  They do have a nice screen room that attaches to the side.  They call it the R-Dome.  It can be closed all around, open on the sides or open on the front.  Or any of the combinations.  A picnic table will fit under it also.  It is wired for a sat. TV and comes with a digital TV antenna.  Check out the options.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 8:59pm

Welcome laxchatter.  I have seen an after-market grill that attaches to a hitch receiver, popular with the tailgating crowd.  The r-pod has a receiver on the back (where the spare tire is attached) so you could buy one of these grills and use it with the 'pod (with an adapter).  I just did a search and here are 2 examples:  http:// www.barretire.com/LA%20Parts/freedomgrill.htm

You would have plenty of room for 2, my family has 4 and we are fine.  The only time we are all inside is to sleep and then in the morning for breakfast and showers.  If you use an external shelter like an EZ-up (great on the field, too) or the r-pod's shelter there is plenty of room to hang out outside if its raining.  The 'pod has 2 inches of insulation all the way around so if you travel over the winter you'll stay warm.  Many other travel trailers have less insulation (and popups have none)  Many poders have found they need to keep the bathroom vent open an inch or so and a window cracked open to keep condensation down - its sealed and insulated so well your own breath is an issue.  Also no problem with storage.  On weekend trips we only use about half of the 'pod's storage and the minivan is only about half-full with chairs, EZ-up, firewood and bikes.

Our daughters cheerlead.  Last year my older daughter was on a travel team over the winter.  I wish we had used our popup camper for the longer trips, it would have been cheaper than the hotels even with the propane to keep it warm.  However, with the freezing temps using the water system would have been impossible, so showers and toilet use would have been necessary at the bathhouse.  You'll have the same problem with a 'pod and most other small trailers, the underbelly isn't enclosed so you can't use the water system below freezing.  Many campgrounds are closed during the winter for this reason and the ones that are open may not allow you to hook up to water (its probably off).

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 12:51am
Check out the 172 with the 2 bunks.  The lower bunk has lots of storage under it.  Check out the mods too.  We have the 172 and modified it to suit our needs.  The pods will keep you warm and toasty on cool nights, but like teckntreck mentions in his posts, not a good idea for the really cold nights. 

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Post Reply Post Reply