R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cover
    Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 5:50pm
Any ideas on what the best cover for a 179 would be? Thank you.
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:56pm
We bought the Classic Accessories OverDrive PermaPRO Deluxe R-Pod Cover (80-257-171001-00) from Amazon for $199.60.  There is also a PolyPRO model for $42.00 less, but we thought this ripstop model might last longer.  It fits our 2017 RP-179 perfectly.  We put the cover on in November and, so far, it has survived a very cold and snowy December and January.  We used a foam swim noodle cut with slits and wrapped pieces around the television antenna and placed pieces on the slide-out drain extensions to protect the cover at these wear points.  We used short bungee cords to hold the noodle pieces on the antenna.  I should be able to give you a better idea about wear in the spring.  The cover for the RP-178 should fit, as well, but the door opening will be in the wrong place for the 179.  You can check out all the specs and get reviews on the Amazon site.  

You will probably need a ladder to put the cover on, and it really helps to have two people manage the cover to avoid potential tears.  The cover itself is pretty light, but there is a lot of material to handle and obstacles, like the TV antenna and air conditioner, try to hang things up as you pull the cover on.  

Hope to see you on the road some day. 
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:35am
We bought the same type cover for our 180. So far I have been very pleased.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 2:11pm
+1
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
layne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:07pm
Thanks Podwa for your answer and description of how you protected the antenna.  The pictures for the RV cover do not appear to show an AC unit on top of the R-Pod. Will the cover shield all the tires from the sun though there is an antenna and an AC on top of the 179 R-Pod?  

We live at a high altitude where the sun (UV rays) breaks down everything.  If we are going to the trouble of covering the R-Pod we would like the tires covered as well.     

Thanks 
Layne 
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:45pm
Jbeck and Layne,
We purchased the CA permapro deluxe cover for our early 2017 HR 179.  It fits perfectly with the AC unit and antenna on top of our pod.  The door lines up and has some straps to roll the door section up over the door to get in and out if needed.  It however does not cover the entire tire.  I'd say it covers the top 1/3 of the wheel.  Living up in the mountains of Idaho (5,400) I know what your saying.  I believe we're lower than your location (7,000+/-?), so I'd recommend some tire covers.  Luckily right now I have plenty of snow covering the tires and the wheels/pod doesn't really get any direct sunlight this time of year. 

I can also comment that we have had record snow in Idaho this winter.  On several occasions I've cleared 10-16 inches of snow off of the top of our pod.  At first I used a long handled snow brush.  After last weeks dump of close to 2 feet, I moved up to a silicone snow pusher from Home Depot.  The cover has held up very well.  It clears off snow easily.   I'd recommend slightly tilting the trailer back to let and melting snow to run off the back of the pod.  I've had some ice dams on the rooftop edge in the middle of the rear spoiler where the water gets trapped against the tall lip.  I should say, on the outside of the cover.  Been watching the inside very closely with no issues to report.  Reminds me of StephenH's mod where he removed the spoiler and re-caulked the holes.  Think happy thoughts... 

I don't know what the rating is on the pod roof, but one more decent snow dump and I'll be shoveling my house roof built to a code of 100lbs per sq ft.
Hope this helps.
Thanks  
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
layne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:10pm
Thanks Smiths.  
I ordered a cover for our pod.  

Layne
early 2017, 179 Rpod

PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 8:25pm
I agree with Wood River Pod.  The cover fits the pod with AC and antenna...no problem.  My cover comes just to the top of the center hub on the wheel.  I plan to get tire covers in the spring.  We live near Spokane, WA, and have plenty of snow here, too.  We are at about 2,650' elevation here.  I have not removed snow from the roof, but didn't think about the possibility of a dam at the rear spoiler.  I may have to rethink my position on that. 

I think you will like you new cover, Layne. 

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 11:00pm
JBECK 

I bought the Classic accessories #80-197-171001-00 polypropylene for our 2016 180 on ebay for $139 w/ free shipping, 

Fits perfect, Same # for the 179. Door opening lines up nice and has ties to hold it up, need ladder to tie them up.
Doesn't cover the tires all the way, Maybe 1/2 way.  
I use the spare tire cover for the sunny side.
Could not get it on with the spare in place out back, added a BAL undermout spare carrier, Problem solved.
It takes two people and a ladder to put it on, I have done it by myself ,  but... 
Yes, it hangs up on roof mount stuff and will rip if pulled hard, ( I'm not a smart man)
And the awning rail ends are sharp and will grab the cover.
All 4 lower corners of the pod are pretty sharp and want to rip the cover so i put small rounded plastic pallet corners on them and they seem to do the job.
Have had much rain and it seems to dry out fast, the top is a breathable fabric that also drys fast.
Overall 10/10 would buy again.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Jbeck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:54am
Thanks all for the info,  I ended up buying the perma pro deluxe from Amazon that should be here today. And will be picking up the pod this Saturday. 
 Post Reply Post Reply