R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpropane tank quick connect couplings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: propane tank quick connect couplings
    Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 12:36am
Howdy folks, bought a used 2016 rpod 178 last summer and learned everything from this forum (no dealer to help us).  Thank you - you're awesome!  Took it out last September through the national parks and had a blast (and learned a lot - haha).

We want to head out later this month, and bought a Stomberg Carlson Trailer Tray from etrailer.com to mount on the front of the rpod.  The purpose of this is to hold a dual fuel generator from Home Depot (weight about 100 pounds).  I hope to use this with propane from our regular 20 pound propane tank

We did have a new trailer hitch with stabilizer bar installed last summer, and hopefully the tongue weight is ok.

Here's my questions:
1.  We only have one propane tank.  I want to put quick connect couplings on the tank and hoses for the rpod and gennie, so we can switch between the two.  But would I get the low pressure adapters like the 

Camco 59853 Propane Quick Connect Kit or the high pressure kits (max 250 psi) like the Mr. Heater Propane Gas Quick Connect Coupling Adapter Kit?  I ask because the low pressure ones seems to be made for RVs, but perhaps for the interior connections?

2.  I thought about getting a propane tank Y-splitter from Amazon, but it didn't seem like we'd get enough pressure to both the pod and the gennie.  Agree?

3.  Ultimately we want to get a second propane tank.  Can you school me in how to calculate tongue weight so I make sure we don't have problems there?

4.  Has anyone installed the Stomberg Carlson Trailer Tray?  Any suggestions?

5.  Has anyone found replacement soft covers for a single propane tank?  Ours blew away and I'm having trouble finding a replacement.  The hard cover won't work with the tray.

Phew - lots of questions!  Thanks a lot and happy podding!

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 10:11am
You are not going to go thru the propane that fast - one tank will last several days.  It is not that hard to just disconnect the empty one and hook up the full one.  I found a 30 lb tank on sale and it fits in the single spot.  If you want to carry an extra, it will fit in one of those milk crates and stow in the back of your truck.  I don't think you will run the generator that much, but then I am coming from 50 yrs of tent camping and the rPod is like staying at The Ritz.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:19am
What are you using as a tow vehicle? That will, in large part, determine whether you'll have tongue weight issues. Be aware though that tongue weight also adds to axle/tire weight,.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:03pm
I steer people away from propane for camping generators.  LP is great for home backup because it never goes bad and you have the room to store a lot.  But LP has less energy-density than gasoline and you only have so much room to carry extra propane.  A 20 pound tank has about 4.5 gallons of LP, which converts to about 3.5 gallons equivalent of gasoline.  So it would run a 3000 watt (peak) inverter-generator for ~22 hours and a non-inverter type for a few hours at most.

Then you need to remove the tank and find a gas station, Uhaul or hardware store that sells propane by the bulk (don't exchange the tank - that's another discussion).  Not many do. 

Also since propane has less energy the generator will produce less peak and less constant power than a gasoline generator.  You might find it starts your A/C on gasoline but it won't on propane.  A generator that has been converted to LP post-manufacturer can have an even bigger power hit since you are forcing a gasoline carburetor to mix LP instead.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:31pm
I agree with tech. I just recently purchased a generator and i was considering a duel fuel, gas/propane bi-fuel unit. I found out that a full 20 lb.tank didnt run as long as a 4.4 gallon tank of gas, nor did it produce the power output of gas. I was surprised about that. I got a gas powered 3500 watt continuous unit, and on gas it says it will run about 11 hours at 50 load. Propane was much less. I really wanted the propane cause it seemed cleaner (no spills) and easier to not have to fill the tank, but with every convenience comes a trade off.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:51pm
I have the travel tray installed, use it to carry genset. I had to add holes to front support to get it high enough to make removing propane tank easier. I added two tie down loops to it so I can ratchet strap the gen set and I cover in with a storage bin that is held on by rubber straps. The generator is gas, runs longer than on propane.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:09pm
Outland makes a table top propane cover - 740 I believe sells on Amazon.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Experiencebliss View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:43am
thanks for the reply.  We are towing with a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:47am
Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback.  Much appreciated.  After reading your posts, I think we'll use the generator with gas.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:07am
Thanks for this great info.  One more question - is it safe to travel with gas in the gennie if it's mounted on the exterior?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>