Topic ClosedTOMBSTONE AZ and beyond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOMBSTONE AZ and beyond
    Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:47am
  All roads lead to Rome but all roads leaving an RV park should lead to an adventure.

And so it is with the Tombstone RV Park just outside of "the town too tough to die".  The park is owned by Rick and Janice they're a real hoot and provide a park with all the amenities full hookups, pool, rec room, laundry and even gave my better half a bottle of Arizona wine for New Years Eve.  Since the park is just outside of Tombstone they provide shuttle service so you checkout the town, places like the infamous Bird Cage Theater reputed to be "one of the wickedest theaters between Basin St. And the Barbary Coast.  Eat at Big Nose Kate's Saloon, formerly the Grand Hotel.  Kate was a Hungarian-born "lady of the night" and longtime companion of Doc Holliday.

If that's not enough then hold out your adventure plate and say, "more please" point yourself to the south east and drive to Bisbee a copper mining town in the days of wore. Take a tour of the Queen Mine.  It's a shaft mine where you'll ride into the mine on a mine train then walk the shafts wearing a miner's hard hat and miner's lamp.  Don't forget to eat at the Bisbee Breakfast Club in Lowell and walk back in time on Erie St.

Still not enough, more please!  From the park drive north west  along Hwy. 90 to visit the Karthner Caverns...I won't say more but you can look it up as it's well worth the drive and cost of the tickets.

And yet more please.  So you're probably not familiar with southwest history and the 9th & 10th Cavalries, 24th & 25th Infantry Regiments (the Buffalo Soldiers) then head southwest from the RV park to Fort Huachuca.  The fort became a permanent encampment in 1882 and still operates today.  Within the sprawling confines of the present day fort is the "Old Fort" home of the Buffalo Soldiers.  Access is available to the fort via an Access Badge that can be obtained at the main gate.  

For now our adventure plate is empty.  Tomorrow morning we will wake up and hold our plates out toward the paling Arizonia sunrise holding our plates firmly in front of us and say, "more please, kind Sir".
Old and in the way so now it's time to play
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:14am
We arrived at the Quail Ridge RV Resort in Huachuca City, AZ yesterday evening. Tombstone would be nice, but we have friends in Sierra Vista that we wanted to visit, so this location is better for us.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Old & out-to-play View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:00pm
Cry  Just read about your misadventure, glad your ok.  Glad things didn't get ugly bad as doing the mambo on ice with a rig can sometimes have dire consequences.

We have one more day of "more please" adventures before heading home.

Be safe,

Bert & Reta
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:44pm
Turns out there was one more (minor) misadventure. We stopped by to visit some old friends. Things were a bit tight going into an out of their driveway as it is lined with mesquite trees and other assorted desert plants. I did not realize until this morning that the antenna caught on one of the trees and broke. It is beyond repair as the whole underside was ripped off the mast with no hope of gluing back together. I took it off and disassembled it,  both to save space and to see if I could figure out a way to repair it. I can't figure out a way to repiar the broken part. Replacement of the antenna head is the only option. Unhappy

What make it worse is that it is nearly impossible to find out information about the company. It is   continu,us, I see the antenna on their site, but purchase information and replacement part information is totally lacking. Thumbs Down

I was finally able to find a phone number on the specifications sheet. It is not listed on the web site. I tried calling today, but it was likely too late as there was no answer. There wasn't even an answering machine. Thumbs Down

I'll try to call them again in the morning. Hopefully, I can just purchase the antenna head. If not, then I think a King Jack or Winegard antenna is in our future if our Pod can be repaired.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:12pm
Cry  Sometimes when it rains, it pours...been there, not fun, but that to will pass.

We met a lot of snowbirds at the RV park many staying the winter until end of March some into April...not surprisingly as there's a lot to see and do and the weather's great.

We had a couple of adventures looking back in time when Arizona was a territory and life was tenuous, when little mistakes and misunderstandings had dire consequences...more on that latter, "the rest of the story"

Be safe,

Bert
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:43pm
I contacted Continu.us and will be getting a replacement head for the antenna. Since the rest is still intact, that is the only part I needed. Unfortunately, it is expensive. I have shipment timed to arrive after we get home.

I briefly tried an RCA flat antenna that is supposed to pick up stations 50 miles away. I returned it when it picked up only one station, and that was very poor quality. I don't know if the R-Pod's correct antenna would have done any better. The down side of the Fort Huachuca/Sierra Vista area is the distance from the transmitter towers in Tucson.

We are on the way home. We are in Van Horn now. I estimate two more days of driving before we get out of Texas.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 6:36pm
Smile  We got home late on the 5th after a 460 mile day.  That R-pod sure rides light behind the truck even at 70 MPH.  Sometimes you have to check your mirrors just to see if it's still there as you really don't feel it through the steering.

This morning we cleaned up the Frog then took it up to Kingman and tucked it in...next event for the Frog is the Bluegrass Festival at Lake Havasu.

Be safe on your journey.

Bert & Reta
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 9:39pm
The best way to pick up more stations is to get the antenna higher.  If the panel antenna was inside that will be (slightly) worse than on the roof.  50 feet up in a tree with rope is much better.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:46pm
We got home yesterday evening. I returned the RCA antenna and bought a less expensive antenna. In the more urban areas through which we traveled, we got a good assortment of stations and were able to get updated weather forecasts (which was the reason I wanted a working antenna).

The replacement antenna came in today. It will get installed soon. One thing I noticed when I removed the old one was that one of the screws for the panels that covers the nuts and bolts that hold the wings had come out and had been lost. I looked and there does not seem to be anything to keep that from happening. When I assemble the replacement, I will use some Locktite on the threads to prevent that from happening again.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply