Topic ClosedR-pod vs. small RV?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod vs. small RV?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 9:06pm
We tried putting the curtain in front of the toilet but it never solved the problem of all the other wet stuff when the next person needs to use the toilet.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:20pm
I think the " sit shower " is the best, and if your more than 5'10" about the only way to go. I certainly don't mind. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Nowakgolden View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:42pm
We finally figured that out-instead of draping the shower curtain behind the toilet drape it over the front. The floor still gets wet but the toilet stAys dry.
Sue
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 5:27pm
There you go, I like the way you think.  Although based on the size of it when I stepped inside (I'm not a big person, 5"1" and petite) I have a feeling I will be taking a sit-shower.   I do get a bit claustrophobic which is why we moved from the 171 to the 178 after we actually went inside of them. 
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 4:47pm
Hey, put a 2nd shower curtain, that goes over the toilet when you shower, bam!!! dry bath. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Consider if you want a dry bath vs. wet bath (wet bath has the toilet in the shower pan so it gets wet when you shower).

I prefer to think of it as the toilet, minus the bowl, getting cleaned when I shower. :)
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:19pm
Thanks everyone for the input and your thoughts and experiences.   I have a feeling we will stick with the R-Pod and a tow vehicle.   Many for the advantages you've all pointed out.  Although purchasing a TV and RP is similar in cost to buying an RV, we will actually be in need of a vehicle in the next year or so (and not yet be ready for the camping part).  

The bed isn't an issue simply because we'd be purchasing a very small RV that would either have the overhead bed (above the driver's and front passenger seat) or the Dinette turned into a bed (I prefer the dedicated bed, but climbing up there would be an issue for my husband).   Same goes for the wet bath vs. shower and separate toilet.  Although I'd like them to be separate, that just isn't going to happen with the size we are looking at.  Plus, I suspect, like a lot of people we will more use a campground shower and save the Pod shower for when the campground one is not acceptable.   Having access to a  toilet that doesn't require a flashlight and walk is something I do like.

Our plans (although we all know how those change) is to most go and camp at a spot and then spend several days visiting nature.  I prefer camping to a hotel room because it keeps me out in nature.  I mostly see us using it to go away for 4 days as a replacement for a tent.  Although I do have a 20 day adventure planned, that will not be likely our primary way of using our "mobile hotel."

We live in Southern California and can easily use it year round.  I'm a teacher and get sizeable breaks (currently on a 3 week winter break) and being able to "grab" the R-Pod to make a getaway would have been great.  
Sailor John View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 12:23am
Remember, with a M/H and a towed car, you now have two motors, 4 more tires and running gear, plus insurance on 2 vehicles. also remember you can not back up with the car behind you. You will also get about 7 to 8 mpg.  One last thought, I can park my TV and 179 in 2 parking lanes(front to back), much nicer when at the supermarket.   
John & Reina
2015 r-179, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Retired Sub sailor
West central ID
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 11:17pm
Consider if you want a dry bath vs. wet bath (wet bath has the toilet in the shower pan so it gets wet when you shower).  Walk-around queen vs. crawl-over queen (you need an 8-foot-wide camper for a walk-around).  Dedicated bed in a longer camper vs. a convertible dinette in a shorter camper.  Slide-out vs. no slide out (it feels a lot more open with a slide-out).  As mentioned above, if you'll do a lot of touring (the camper is a movable hotel room) or a lot of camping.

Our pod was great when we were mostly camping, only going inside to sleep, grab a snack or use the restroom.  When we started doing a lot of touring and there were overnights at rest stops and truck stops, there wasn't enough room for 4 of us especially w/o a slide-out (the slide-out models didn't exist until literally the week we bought our 171).  I also got tired of drying out the shower and crawling over my wife at 2 am to get to the toilet.  Some of these things aren't an issue with the newer pod models.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 4:36pm
I had a Coachmen motorhome prior to the RPod. I agree with MoPod. I had to break camp to do anything unless I towed a transportation vehicle. I recently saw a motorhome in a central TN campground that had a power cable fail and he had to break camp to get into town. We often take a boat and RPod which requires we use two tow vehicles, but we would have to do same with motor coach if we wanted transportation other than motorhome. I like the fact I can put trailer on site and still go to Wally World versus pack up motorhome - go to town then - put coach back on site. I'm convinced the TT is better way to go, after owning both.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>