R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 for a couple with a toddler?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 for a couple with a toddler?
    Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 9:54pm
Hi Everyone,

I posted a while back on here asking about the quality of rpods and mentioned we were looking at the 179 for our family of 3. I received some feedback about the 179 being a 2 person trailer that led us to look elsewhere, we ended up spending a long time looking at 24' bunkhouse models and came within an inch of buying one but then got cold feet about the size. The thing is, we will be storing the trailer in our already small backyard and my husband will have to back it in to our yard from a narrow one way street. We are also not planning on taking very long trips, our favorite camping spot is an hour away on the California coast and we usually camp 2-3 nights at a time. Is there anyone out there who has a 179 with a child? I am pretty set on the 179 after seeing them in person, I feel the layout and storage can't be beat, but I'd love to hear feedback from those who own one.

Thanks!
Jackie
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 10:10pm
I don't know why you would have been told that the 179 is a "2 person trailer." The dinette is perfectly capable of having a child sleep there. Remove the back cushions and it is perfectly adequate for an adult also.  It would even be adequate for two small children. If you don't anticipate your family growing, then I don't see why a 179 would not work for you. Add a tension rod and a curtain for the queen bed, and you and your child will have some privacy also. However, if you think your family might grow, check out the 176 and 182G models if you would be willing to sacrifice the dedicated queen bed for a convertible dinette since both of those have bunks.

If the 179 looks right to you and you can see how it will work for you, don't let someone tell you that it won't.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 7:34am
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 6:23pm
Jackie,

We have a 178, similar in size and we no longer have a toddler, but we do have an 80lb English Bulldog who loves the dinette area. He's happy with his area, I think that it is a misconception the Pods are two people trailers, for a toddler the dinette are , even in a 178 is more than adequate for a toddler. It's all about creativity.
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 9:32pm
Jackie, 
In my opinion the 179 is the ideal trailer for a family of three.  We just got our 179 this past September and have 7 year old, Jack.  He loves the dinett as his bed.  We also have a 11 month standard poodle puppy, so it's more like 3.5 in the trailer.  We made several overnight trips and one two nighter before storing the pod for winter.  It was perfect.  We're heading down to Zion's for a week in March.  

We know in a few years we'll need to pack the tent for him and a buddy once staying in the trailer with mom and dad become LAME.  Hope this helps make up your mind.  Check out the mod that rynosurfs posted on keeping the cushions in place for the dinett/bed.  We did the same.

Don't let another season go by without a trailer!  
Smitty
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
rkleim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 9:45am
Just to play devils advocate,  Picture this: you put junior to bad in the dinette, and the two of you want to stay up and read or watch TV. Where do you sit? Either you sit in the bed or you sit outside. We have a 179 and it is a wonderfull-size the only issue we have is that sitting in the dinette is uncomfortable for any period of time. Make sure that you have the storage capability in your tow vehicle for the extra things you will want to bring since the 179 does not have a ton of storage capacity other than in the  kitchen.  Given certain considerations like these, I think the 179 is plenty big enough as long as the privacy does not bother you 
-
Richard
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with Factory Tow
2016 FR R-Pod 179
Bboudens View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 12:45pm
Hello Jackie

My spouse and I went through the same issue as you when purchasing our Pod. We have an infant son as well as 3 nephews under 2. My wife originally liked the 179 as well and all the interior storage it offers. In the end we decided upon a 178 model for a few reasons, and while we have not camped in the pod with our son yet we are happy with the decision.

1. put a stair gate in the rear bed of the 178 and it becomes a giant crib. We tried this out with our nephews and its perfect.  At the same time you have access to the rest of the RV.  
2. Interior vs. Exterior storage. Which matters most to you? The 178 has the most exterior storage. As we do not cook in the Pod the kitchen area is mostly for the coffee pot and bottle warmer. All pots, pans and dishes are stored in a cook box that I used for canoe tripping, this made the big kitchen in the 179 a wash for us.   
3. Sleeping space. if you go by numbers the U-shaped dinette in the 178 is 75x58 just 2in short of a queen bed. The 179 dinette is 75x45 same length just not as wide. For another example, I used the Rpod on a hunting trip back in mid Nov. and was able to sleep 4 men. It was cozy. (maybe a little smelly) but it worked. Sleeping room for a couple is not a problem. Set up the dinette and try it out with your partner before you buy and see what I mean.

All this is just a matter of personal preference tho and what fits best with your style of camping. For us the Pod is just a warm place to potty and sleep. the rest of the time we spend outdoors. Boon docking in smaller provincial parks in B.C. and Alberta. to which the small size and simplicity of the R-pod is the biggest pro for us.

Hoped this helped. Brad 

Keep your stick on the ice
2016 178HRE
2011 Silverado 1500
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 12:49pm
Or you could be comfortably sitting out in the attached r-dome.  Once the toddler heads to his dinette bed out you go.  You will even be able to hear if the toddler has not gone to sleep because in the 179 there is a window over the queen bed that partially looks into the dome.  We don't have toddlers anymore but we are in the group of avid r-dome users.
I think the 179 would be perfect for you're family.
Like Smitty said...........
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 1:25pm
I have a 172, and even that has 4 people sleeping quarters. The 2 bunks and then the U shaped dinette is a queen size bed if needed. We personally spend so little time IN the trailer. We were using small pop up till we bought the rpod several months ago. We will spend alot of time in our r-dome i can assure you. Thats better than any bump out to us. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply