R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight distribution and brake control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight distribution and brake control
    Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 4:46pm
I agree with the notion that the dealer will get a lot more comfortable with you taking the rpod off of his lot without a WDH if you let him know that's the only way it's going.  If you want to, just tell him you're going to do it yourself or you want to try towing a while without it.  It's not the dealer's problem.

I just installed the Fastway E2 600.  It takes a while... but isn't hard.  Except for torquing things down to 450 ft lb.  (I might have cheated on that a bit.)

For what it's worth, I've towed my 176 without a WDH or sway control from Florida to Cape Breton and about 15 or 20K miles in between and never had the slightest issue.  I got the WDH largely on the general recommendation of this forum and I can't say I think it's worth it.  I may notice a bit of difference, maybe.

I'll keep using the WDH at least for a while.  It almost certainly does provide some safety benefit, but I think the bottom line is that not everyone automatically needs one.  It's a matter of personal comfort level at least to some degree.

But really, don't let the dealer bully you into paying $950 for one. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 5:23pm
Thanks all for the input. I was thinking there was some liability issue or something with the dealer and that is part of the reason besides overcharging me for it of course but it sounds like that is not the case. 
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 5:54pm
Oh and trunion or round bar? What is the difference?

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 6:56pm
Trunion gives a little better ground clearance, but that's not really and issue at that part of the rig. Most end up with the round bar because it's a bit cheaper and more available.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 7:55pm
You've been a huge help Charlie. Thanks again. 

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 8:29pm
Another alternative that provides both WD and sway control is the Andersen No-Sway. If my dealer had not installed the Equal-i-zer, which cost me $700, I would have gone for the Andersen. It has some mixed reviews, but overall, what I read is positive. It has the advantage of light weight, and adjustment is just done by tightening or loosening a couple of nuts once the brackets are in place and properly fastened. The Equal-i-zer hitch I have works great, but it is really heavy.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 8:12am
Looks like the Anderson is a bit more expensive than the Fastway. Is it that much better? If so may be worth it. Is it easy to install? Watching the videos it looks like the Anderson is much easier to install. May be worth it. Any thoughts?

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 11:39am

The Andersen website lists dealers.  There may be several around wherever you live.  Call around.  Be nice if you could get someone to help you or let you watch - you will learn something.
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 1:16pm
I tow with a Toyota Tacoma, V-6 4x4 with tow package. I have a standard hitch, not a WDH. Got back at the end of October from 3,500 miles to Lake Powell and up to 10,000 feet of altitude on a very winding road (Great Basin National Park).

Not a single problem towing. No swaying or fishtailing; I do have an anti-sway bar.

If the dealer requires you to get a WDH have them put in writing why. That request alone may cause them to back off their requirement.

Happy podding.
Life is good.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by cjscinta

Looks like the Anderson is a bit more expensive than the Fastway. Is it that much better? If so may be worth it. Is it easy to install? Watching the videos it looks like the Anderson is much easier to install. May be worth it. Any thoughts?

I don't know if it is that much better. What it is is lighter. If the hitch head for the Fastway E2 is anything like the hitch head for the Equal-i-zer I use, it is HEAVY. The bars are also not light. The chains and plate of the Andersen would have been easier to handle. That might be worth the difference by itself.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>