R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight distribution and brake control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight distribution and brake control
    Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 10:50am
Hello all. I am new to this forum and have never owned or towed a travel trailer. I am looking to purchase a 179 and own a Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 with a tow package. The dealer I am working with says because it's a medium sized truck they are not comfortable letting me drive it off to lot without a weight distribution hitch. No problem I am comfortable with that. However to have the dealer install it they want 950 dollars. ( I'm not that naive) According to Amazon I'm all in at 400 bucks. 

I've watched some YouTube videos and I think I can do this myself. How hard is this to install? From the forum I was looking at the fastway e2. 

What is involved in the install?
What is the difference between round bar and trunion?
What weight limit do I need? 800? 1000?
As for the brake control Tecumseh P2? Set at 6 and back it off as needed?

Thanks for your input. 

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 11:03am
The E2 is an excellent and very popular WDH. You can install it yourself, but you must read the instructions, re-read the instructions, understand the instructions, and follow the instructions. It's tome consuming but proper installation and adjustment is critical with any WDH and not necessarily provided by an RV dealer. The 600/600 E2 is entirely adequate for the 179 as is the Tacoma. I currently tow a Livinlite 21RBS, ~1000# heavier than the 179, with a Tacoma and E2. Works great. The Tekonsha controllers are excellent. Just don't crank them up too high and don't try to lock up the trailer wheels on dry pavement. Just set them so you don't feel the trailer pushing the Tacoma. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Jasp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 11:47am
I tow with the same Tacoma. I use a swaybar and nothing more. The Tacoma V6 with two package has zero problems towing the pod. Imo.
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 11:50am
Hey Charlie.  Thanks so much for the quick response. I really liked that Camplite 21. I was afraid I was pushing my tow capacity with it. Glad to see the Tacoma can pull it. Interested to see how you like it. 

So when you say time consuming do you mean a couple of hours cause I will probably have to do this at the dealer. Cause the you tube video of the install is only 10 minutes long. (Kidding)
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 11:54am
Hey Jasp. That is really all I thought I needed was the sway bar. I'm sure the dealer is just trying to sponge me for more or liability etc.  Thanks for the info. 

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by cjscinta

Hey Charlie.  Thanks so much for the quick response. I really liked that Camplite 21. I was afraid I was pushing my tow capacity with it. Glad to see the Tacoma can pull it. Interested to see how you like it. 

So when you say time consuming do you mean a couple of hours cause I will probably have to do this at the dealer. Cause the you tube video of the install is only 10 minutes long. (Kidding)

We really like the Camplite. The Tacoma pulls it very well but I did add the TRD supercharger for altitude because we spend a lot of time in Colorado. I wouldn't plan to make the hitch adjustments at the dealer's lot. You can't do it with a dealer standing over you. Get the wrenches and prepare to do it yourself at home. You'll need a level surface such as an empty parking lot on a weekend to measure, make the adjustments, remeasure, and try it out. Some may say you don't need WDH, but I always say you'll want it. WDH, even on a full sized PU, really improves the ride by eliminating porpoising and bounce. Read posts on this forum and you'll find most folks end up in that camp. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 12:42pm
Charlie. I agree with you. I don't want to do it at the dealer. Hence my dilemma. I need the trailer to do it which I will have to purchase and take possession of. According to the dealer they are not comfortable with me taking possession of and driving it off the lot without having the proper ( weight distribution) hitch. I realize this may just be their way of making me spend 950 on a hitch and control from them which I don't want to do because I'm too cheap for that. 😀

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by cjscinta

According to the dealer they are not comfortable with me taking possession of and driving it off the lot without having the proper ( weight distribution) hitch. I realize this may just be their way of making me spend 950 on a hitch and control from them which I don't want to do because I'm too cheap for that. 😀

In that case ask them if they are more comfortable in your going to another dealer. They may increase their comfort level very quickly. There is no major safety issue with your unloaded 179 and an unloaded Tacoma. get it home and install/adjust the E2. Just keep the speed down and stay off freeways until you are accustomed to towing. However, you must have the brake controller. I recommend Takonsha Prodigy P3 if you haven't already bought one.

The ride home without WDH might be good for you so you can appreciate the difference.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
ragadas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 1:08pm
I just bought a RP179 last summer and had the dealer install an E2 K6 on my Tacoma. Total bill was $497.00...they supplied the hitch and labor. It sounds like your dealer was a little high, and so are his prices.

If your Tacoma has the round seven pin connector, it will have a plug and play connector for the electric brakes behind the left front kick panel below the steering wheel. It takes little time and effort to install the controller. That may be why your dealer is goosey about letting you drive off (the fact that you have no controller for the brakes)
Dave & Chris
RP 179
2011 Tacoma Access Cab
V6 6 speed manual.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 1:40pm
One more point: When you install the E2 you will measure the rear fender height with and without the trailer weight. Then the instructions request you adjust the hitch to recover the drop in the rear fenders. It is now accepted practice to recover only 1/2 the fender drop with the hitch. Full recovery is too much. Keep in mind that a poorly adjusted WDH can be worse than no WDH.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>