R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch care

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch care
    Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 5:41pm
Oh boy you bring up a sore subject on deer whistles.  After my 4th deer kill with my '94 F-150 I was told by some locals, put on a pair of deer whistles, that will prevent you from killing all our deer (I had 4 deer kills in 3 years).  So I purchase and install them on the front bumper as per the instructions.  I truly believe (and the guys who sold me on this idea are now convinced) that it only exasperated the problem.  Like a trooper I continued to put on deer whistles on the front bumper after the previous deer kill would take them off.  Long story short, with deer whistles I was able to kill an additional 7 deer in 3 years and was out the money to keep replacing them.  So now here I sit with my '94 F-150 with 31 notches (deer kills) in the 18 years I have owned the truck.  I travel between 30-35 mph on my way to work (at 5:05 - 5:15 am) and only travel 5 miles to get to work, yet with 1 exception all the deer hit have been in the morning on this 5 mile jaunt.  And I'm not counting the ones I have hit and they limp/scamper/walk away.  Yes, I have killed more with my truck than with my rifle, kind of embarrassing.  At my place of employment the truck is appropriately called "deer slayer."  AND . . . . no more deer whistles.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 6:57pm
Perhaps your deer whistles are working more like "wolf whistles" and actually attracting the deer?  
Are you by chance hitting more doe deer than bucks? 
Try turning them around and see if that changes anything then you'll know for sure.
You might have purchased the wrong kind of deer whistle..... I saw a show on one of those hunting channels about this..... there are auto deer whistles and there are hunting deer whistles.
I do feel your pain, my ex wife hit a deer on the way home from the auto body shop getting her repaired car back from hitting a deer.  
We have nothing like you folks do for deer strikes, but one is too many.
Around here the two places that appreciate the Game and Fish department the most are the auto body shops and the taxidermists. 
Wink
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 7:40pm
Been there, done that.  After the first couple strikes, I was told to turn them the opposite direction, made zero difference.  Yes, these were auto deer whistles.  Funny thing, this is really a Ford tough truck, although my front bumper kinda looks like a twisted pretzel, I have never had it in to a body shop, even after 31 kills.  The worst damage I incurred was when I had just gotten the truck (company truck) and had it for 3 days.  It was during the rut and about 25-35 yards ahead of me I counted over 20 deer crossing the road, so I came to a complete stop.  During that time a deer came out of a cornfield on my left (traveling the opposite direction of the deer in front of me) and ran full tilt into the truck, just behind my door, made a pretty good size dent in the side.  It was laying down on the pavement, moving around in circles, I thought for sure it broke its neck.  As I got out of the truck, the doe proceeded to get up and limp off into the cornfield, as far as I know it lived.  I took the truck to the owners and showed them the damage, they shuddered as they hadn't put insurance on it yet.  I still am reminded of that hit today, as it never was fixed.  I have hit mostly all does, only a few were bucks.  Maybe I should try to get a few pics of this fine old truck and post it for you all to see.  It is in pretty rough shape but still runs fine after 307,000 miles with a 5.0 L V-8 and manual stick shift.
God's pod
'11 model 177
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 9:19pm
Jato,
You ought to get some sort of deer hit stickers for the front left fender, like the WW2 airman had for their airplanes.  You have earned them and it would look cool.
Remind me never to drive anywhere with you should the opportunity ever occur.
I don't think my new f150 will stand up nearly as well as your truck has to deer strikes.  It would probably blow an airbag and break my glasses.   
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:16pm
haha, my airbag has never deployed and it has one, when I got the truck in 1998 the airbag light on the dash was flashing on and off.  18 years later it is still doing it!  The guys at work have threatened to do that to the truck, at this point it would look like some of the football helmets with all stickers on them.  The owners of the golf course I work for haven't gotten me a new or newer truck because they know that one hit would probably toast a new truck.  This one has a heavy duty chrome bumper that is probably 3/8" thick steel, and it sits quite high as well, a bit higher than the new ones.
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:31pm
Tell them they can always get you one of these:
Barricade Brush Guard
The link is for trucks up to 2014. They also have links on the page for one for the 2015 and 2016 F-150s. I didn't look to see if they have one for the SuperDuty trucks.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 8:46pm
Deer whistles don't seem to do any good and they cause pan to lots o other wild and domestic animals.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:12pm
I hope you took those deer home and hung them!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:21pm
Ah venison!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 10:42pm
The problem with hitting them then running them over is that the guts, intestinal renderin's, urine,  and the like plus bone splinters go throughout the meat quickly ruining everything.  Hence, about all one can do is pull the carcass off into the ditch and leave it for the eagles and coyotes.  At least it doesn't all go to waste.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>