Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sailor323 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery bank
    Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by nlrstate

Our original battery has died (our fault).  We want to install 2 batteries so we can do more remote camping, having previously been 38+ years tent campers.  What size do we need - 2ea 6v or 2ea 12v?  Any particular brand recommendations?  If we also use propane when possible, how long will dual batteries last? Do we need a cut off switch as I've seen mentioned in some posts?
You will get more storage out of 2ea 6v than 2ea 12v especially if you go with Trojan 145s or equivalent.  We do not have a cut-off switch but solar keeps the pod's batteries charged.  Also, we plug in to house current when at home in the shade.

Also, has anyone invested in the solar panels?  Are they worth it?
  Depends on your camping style.  We have 270 watts of solar power on "Shore Leave" and could camp indefinitely without hooking up to shore power.  this includes running a 12V freezer all the time.  On the other hand if your camping routinely involves campgrounds where there is power, solar would be a waste.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:01pm
Good answers!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 9:25pm
I currently have 2  12v deep cycle group size 24 batteries and expect 3 - 4 days out of each depending on how cold it is, if we get cold nights (in this scenario 35-50 degrees) 3 days/battery.  Warmer nights 4 days/battery.  Would recommend acquiring 6 volt batteries, this is what I plan on doing when mine bite the dust; they are now 6 years old and still work fine but I know their end is coming.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by nlrstate

What size do we need - 2ea 6v or 2ea 12v?  First, we should note that battery size and rated voltage are two very different things. The ideal battery setup depends 100% on camping style. If you find yourself on shore power most of the time then a single 12v battery is good. If you find yourself off the grid more often, dual 12's are better, and dual 6v's are the best. 

Any particular brand recommendations?  I'm sure there will be some recommendations, but I don't have one. 

If we also use propane when possible, how long will dual batteries last? 
There have been reports from off the grid campers using a single 12v battery for up to 7 days or more. The answer to this question depends on use, conservation and consumption. I would think you could go a week without much trouble at all with a dual setup. 

Do we need a cut off switch as I've seen mentioned in some posts? Yes, unless you can keep the POD plugged in 24/7. A battery cut-off switch will prevent parasitic draws from discharging the batteries. 

Also, has anyone invested in the solar panels?  Yes, many owners that camp off the grid use solar panels to keep the batteries charged. I have a 50w solar panel that I use when camping at the Gulf of Mexico on the Beach. 

Are they worth it? Again, it depends on your intended use. Solar charger kits include more than just panels and can be quite an investment. If your camping style is such that it will leverage that investment then yes. If not, then no. Remember, a solar system only works under good sun ray conditions. Cloudy days and shaded camp spots can be a problem. 

Any help will be appreciated!  We love our 2015 178 - gets us off the ground, out of the rain, and has a bathroom Big smile.  But it's small enough to keep the "camping" in our trips - we still mostly cook, eat and sit outside. We really like out 2015 178 as well. Good Luck and Have Fun! Smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
nlrstate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 5:08pm
Our original battery has died (our fault).  We want to install 2 batteries so we can do more remote camping, having previously been 38+ years tent campers.  What size do we need - 2ea 6v or 2ea 12v?  Any particular brand recommendations?  If we also use propane when possible, how long will dual batteries last? Do we need a cut off switch as I've seen mentioned in some posts?

Also, has anyone invested in the solar panels?  Are they worth it?

Any help will be appreciated!  We love our 2015 178 - gets us off the ground, out of the rain, and has a bathroom Big smile.  But it's small enough to keep the "camping" in our trips - we still mostly cook, eat and sit outside.
Nancy & Dwight
2015 rpod 178
2013 Tahoe LTZ
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 10:16am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Furpod is also correct. With the batteries connected in parallel, technically there is a slight preference for connecting to one positive terminal and the alternate negative terminal.

...and also having the interconnect wires of the same gauge and length. That makes the inline electrical resistance the same for each battery, which means the voltage drop of the wiring will be the same.
Vector1952 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 5:54pm
Knowledgeable...correction from my last post...
Xxxx7
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 5:53pm
Thank you for your experience and knowledge makes me more knowledge also...
Xxxx7
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 7:32am
Furpod is also correct. With the batteries connected in parallel, technically there is a slight preference for connecting to one positive terminal and the alternate negative terminal. In normal Rpod use the difference is minimal. The primary point is to connect both batteries together and use both at the same time.   
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 10:47pm
That's what I thought in November furpod said it was ok to put connections on one battery because of how to use the batt rise (see above post in November) the batteries are hooked up in paralell
Xxxx7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>