R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeda/c fan noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: a/c fan noise
    Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 2:15pm
I agree that the outside noise is no different than every other A/C in the campground. I've never heard someone complain.

As for the inside noise, see this thread (below). I explored options and somewhere around page 6 I list a few fixes which helped reduce the inside noise by reducing the air turbulence as it flows through the unit. We always sleep with the fan on low (pod and current camper) which helped in the pod. During the day we leave the fan on auto (pod and current camper).

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1433
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 5:29pm
So to take this to the next level . . . what is the recommendation for a quiet a/c unit that would fit on the pod?  We have never had a/c (our 177 was special ordered w/o it) but are contemplating it in the next couple years after I retire in case we want to go south during the summer months.  We are like you Toolman, usually camp without hookups.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 7:01am
 And the sad truth about the fan being noisy is that it can be solved with excellent blade design.

An A/C unit needs about 300-400 CFM of air per 12,000 BTU of cooling. This is a design parameter so the A/C unit operates efficiently and the evaporator coil doesn't freeze up by having too low of air flow. The makers of the A/C are making the fans too small, and the blade shape is making a lot of noise because of it. If the fan was bigger it could turn slower, make less noise, and still deliver appropriate amounts of air flow.

Ever hear some of the new house mini-splits? The condenser is outside and the evaporator is wholly mounted inside on an interior wall. They are VERY quiet. Good fan design.

I was going to look into finding a new fan blade design, but decided not too because I don't use the A/C, even in June/July. I camp without hookups. State Parks and small tent campgrounds.

If someone knows a design engineer who works with fan blades, ask them about it. Maybe someone at fantastic fan can be persuaded to make and aftermarket option for the rooftop A/C untis, they would make a small fortune.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by flat6s

I feel A/c is a total disaster.  I have now experienced two PO'd campsite neighbors, at different times, greet me in the morning, telling me the a/c kept them awake all night. Both brought management with them.  Management says "so what" big rigs with 3 a/c units are loud too.  Both neighbors left after many unkind words.
Just saying, whats up with the jet engine sound of the a/c unit ?  
Happy trails
Joe

If your AC noise is a problem for other campers it means one of two things.

1. There is simething wrong with your AC and you need it checked, or

2.  The complaining campers are new to camping.  These units are used on other campers and are no quieter.  My guess is that if they couldn't sleep it was the heat and not your AC.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 7:39pm
While the air conditioner is not exactly quiet, it is no louder than the ones I have heard on a lot of motor homes in campgrounds we have visited. It may seem a bit louder because it isn't as high off the ground, but it is not loud either. Perhaps if something is not in adjustment, there is noise, but we have not had any complaints from those camped near us since we have purchased it. Our house AC is much louder. Of course, it is more powerful and located at ground level in a package unit. We live with it because it will be a while before we can afford to replace it with a quieter unit. I have thought about replacing it, but price is a factor at this point.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 7:20pm
Furpod... I know...I've been at it two decades as well.  The exhaust side of the ac on the outside is very loud.  But so what.  Others are too.  My trailer before the Pod was a Casita.  Very quite AC.
The first complainer was actually fist fight ready...an older guy about 70.  I guess I po'd him off more when I told him his new truck was NOT a Dodge Ram... Dodge does not make trucks anymore.  They are de-branded.  It is a Fiat Ram...That'll teach him to call my Honda truck un American, but that's a whole new post in itself.
Happy trails
Joe
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by flat6s

I feel A/c is a total disaster.  I have now experienced two PO'd campsite neighbors, at different times, greet me in the morning, telling me the a/c kept them awake all night. Both brought management with them.  Management says "so what" big rigs with 3 a/c units are loud too.  Both neighbors left after many unkind words.
Happy trails
Joe

In decades of RVing, I have never heard such a thing said. 2 years ago we did have a family in a tent behind us in a cramped/full campground tell us in the morning they hated us all night.. it was like a very muggy with 90F for a LOW kind of night... That's as close as I have been to someone being upset about hearing ANYTHING on our campers.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 12:00pm
Again.. the R-Pod is built to a price point. The 13.5 Dometic is made and sold by the truckload, so it's the least expensive option.. Gets owners into the TT world as inexpensively as possible. I would wager that for most owners, $$$ outweigh Decibels in a first RV. 
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:31am
I had a Forest River representative tell me that an Atwood A/C was quieter and more efficient. That would be an expensive solution.
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 7:19pm
Happy trails
Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>