R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress
    Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 10:53pm
  So...I finished the "his and hers" drawers under the mattress, The 180 mini wardrobe and 2 small drawers, just doesn't have enough clothes storage for us. I moved the mattress up 5 1/2" and installed two 4' long x 18" wide x 5" deep drawers on 36" heavy duty drawer guides between the mattress and the existing platform under it. Home Depot has shelf material that matches pretty well!. I also made the area inside the exterior storage access panel 6" taller and moved the water pump over, allowing the exterior front storage compartment to be 12" deeper to hold longer items. Additionally, I removed the 2-1/2" wood piece under the opening to the heater space and put a piece of 3/4" angle iron up in its place behind the new face frame to make the opening taller and let heat flow out better. It's all done with screws so i can remove everything for access or go back to stock easily. I also added a dual USB port next to the electrical plug. 

I now can use the hanging closet for coats and such and all our fold able clothes go in the drawers. This mod should work on most Rpod models with a front queen bed, the drawer would just have to be reconfigured for the space available.
Rgrds, John

Video of how it works

The right drawer pulls out 36". We keep baskets in the back that we just slide forward for access. 
The left drawer pulls out 32" before it hit the kitchen cabinet.
First I put down new plywood and built a new frame where the drawers would go.
You can see at the right the area inside the exterior storage door that is now 6" taller inside.
Update; I ended up removing the lower plywood for easier access and i decided it wasn't necessary for the support I thought it would need due to adding an angle iron piece in place of the wood piece that is stock.  

I moved the pump over towards the outside wall and and moved the end panel about 12" for a longer
storage area, and I added bracing under where the drawer frame will be. After I installed the plywood I cut an access
 for servicing this area. 

I then removed the drawer frame box, made drawers,and mounted the drawers on the slides. I did this because I couldn't put the left drawer in once the box is in place and because nothing was square on the original frame and this made it easy to square up the drawer box,  The drawers are 5" tall.

Here's what it looked like when I took off the plywood, I like this photo because it shows how simple the framing in the Rpod is. 
Just 3/4" X 1- 1/2" cleat material for the frame, and 1/8" veneer ply for cabinet sides.
Angle iron to open up the underbed entrance 2.5 ", and let the heat out better.

Matching home depot shelving. They have 11.5" x 4' and 7.5" X 36", that I used for drawers and face frames.

Did most of the work with a Skilsaw.

Answers to some questions people had. 
Trjeep,
Hope this helps.
1. If I were to do it again I would only Make the drawers as deep as the space under the bed so the outside storage area in the front could be taller by 5". I think this makes the drawers 34" long by 18" wide.
2. I would remove the existing plywood under the drawers for better access to the water pump and water heater. the plywood under is unnecessary. and it could just used on top.
3. I Put a piece of 3/4 angle iron replacing the upper face frame under the bed. this will support the center drawer guide supports and let heat out better and open up the opening a little. 

4. Here a picture of the drawer face frame. I used a 48" x 11" shelf piece and ripped it down to 9 1/4" and cut drawer holes into it. It does not go behind the seatback, and I had to add 4" to the refrigerator  end because the shelf wasn't long enough to span the distance.
5. The angle iron screws down to the plywood to the drawer guide supports and then to the face frame. The face frame screws into the drawer box at the ends and in between the drawers.
6.I cut the drawer faces out of the 7 1/4 HD shelf material, One end of each is unfinished but hidden on the outside edge on each side. I set the Drawers out flush with the face frame and screwed the drawer face to them, this hides the unfinished cut out for the drawers. 

If you need some more details, ask away!
Rgds John

All my 180 mods

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 8:23pm
very nice, excellent craftsmanship!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:13pm
Thank you for the details. I will have to see if I can use a couple of the steps: angle iron and move the water pump.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 10:19pm
Stephan, on the angle iron, if you just unscrew the 2 square head screws on each end and rotate it up you get a nice finished edge facing the cabin and the angle iron just hides behind it. And what kind of ladder fits in a 5x5 space?
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 10:43pm
GP Logistics SLD-S6 is the one I have. There is also a double sided ladder available. I got ours used for about half the price. We were at Nellis AFB camping while we were visiting our daughter and family. Someone with a motor home was selling it as it was too short for their use. We brought it home inside the pod. After we got home, I needed to find a way to store it that was not in the pod. The way I did so was the best way I could think of to get it to fit underneath in the storage compartment. So far, it has worked quite well.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 11:01pm
I have never seen anything like that ladder! i'm going to look around for a 5' version.
Also when i had the tools out and extra wood i did the kitchen drawer mod, who designs this stuff?

Old vs new

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 11:11pm
Nice work on the drawer. There is so much wasted space. The 6" of wasted space in the wardrobe drawers was the one that really surprised me. I could not enlarge the kitchen ones as much because of the plumbing. However, any wasted space put to use is a plus.

For the ladder, check Amazon. I think I saw a 5' model there.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 8:41pm
I have this same model.  This is fabulous.  I don't have the skill to do it though.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 9:26pm
Bring it by my place, we'll do it together!( Bring good beer!)
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

les olvera View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:17pm
Nice job, I would like to add drawer space, but I have 171, limited to any kind of re-vamping.
Les
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>