R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GLemmons View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:01pm
Thanks John, I'll wait until warranty expires then will do the same mod.
Yes we have a 180. We upgraded after years in pop-ups. Very happy with the upgrade!
BTW, we found 10"X~24" wire shelves w/ folding legs at WalMart that fit perfectly in the shelves over the dinette. Doubled or "pantry" storage.
Garo
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:17am
Garo,
Welcome to the pod world!, We came through Memphis Last week! Just got home today, 25 days SLO to DC and back.
The drawers more than doubled the clothes storage in the 180, I'm assuming you have a 180?
I weighed the mod when I took it out before our trip, Total was 43lbs. You don't need the lower plywood that I put down, It just seemed like the right thing to do but wasn't necessary. Tongue weight should not be more than 10% of a loaded single axle trailer of this size I'm told. 

We did the trip with a twin bed set up but are in the process of re modding to convert it so it can be turned back into a queen at night. Link to twin bed mod  I really like the floor space it gives but like I told Westy, My wife  (Apparently) needs space for snow angels while sleeping. 
I'm happy to give any answers to questions you may have and there are more pictures I could post if you need.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

GLemmons View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:37pm
These drawers are a great idea and they look fantastic!  I would appreciate more info / plans.
Our TV is a 2014 Honda Ridgeline and although it has 600lb hitch capacity, I am conscious about overall weight.  How much weight do you think your mod added?
We are new to RPod and were discussing ways to increase storage during our maiden outing last weekend.  We found 10" X 24" wire racks with folding legs at WalMart that fit perfectly in the shelves above the dinette and added 2X shelf space to the "pantry".

Garo
westelkhopper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:12pm
I've got the 177 so I'm limited to 32" between bathroom and kitchen. Might just do one big wide drawer.

SLO is great - my folks live there so it's on my circuit.

Westy
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:03pm
Westy,
I made the drawer boxes,simple 1/2" plywood sides and 1/4" bottoms.I have since changed it to twin beds but we have been on the road for three weeks and my wife decided she needs to be able to make snow angels in bed, so we are going back to revisit the queen again. But maybe with a lift out center section so we can maintain the walkway up the middle. Search "all my 180 mods" for pictures of the twin set up and more on the drawers under the mattress. Can't seem to link anything here in Capitol reef, we are boonedocking outside the park on BLM land. pods everywhere out here!.
Rgds john
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

westelkhopper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:35pm
I'm going to attempt the drawer project. Did you make the drawers yourself? I did see some online places that will make custom boxes. Thanks for the great idea!
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:34pm
Thanks George,
And if you do any 180 mods we haven't seen let me know, my list is empty!!!!
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

asheville george View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:29pm
this is outstanding!   hope to try it when we upgrade to a new 180.

George
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 2:25pm
Bill, 
The smaller set of wires goes to the Zamp plug on the side of the pod at the back. You May have a very small short in this wire, Just disconnect it. Thanks for the tutorial, I have a nice Klein unit that should do the trick. I am going to play with it and learn something new!

Since i don't plan on using the zamp port for solar, ( I would just do something near the front), I disconnected it from the batteries, and re powered it (with a fuse) when i  put in the battery switch. It comes out behind the rear panel that comes off with 2 screws that covers the back of the taillight in the exterior storage compartment  and goes up to the Zamp port. I cut the wire in the storage compartment,  and have a set of switches that power under pod led lights and an led light wall mount landscape light that i just stick to the storage door magnet and plug into the Zamp port for an outdoor step light.
 Here's a pic

( not sure yet how to use the new pic insert)

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Bill-J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 12:18pm
John,

Here is how I measured ALL AC and DC currents in the rig.

AC is simple.  I just used a Fluke clamp on amp-meter at each breaker.  

For DC measurement I used a Fluke 87 (most all decent VOM meters can do this... I just happen to have lots of Fluke equipment).  What you do is pull a fuse from the 12V fuse panel and then insert the meter probes into the socket the fuse came out of.  This makes the VOM a "fuse" to complete the circuit except now you can actually measure how much DC current is flowing through the meter.

When all of the fused circuits are measured then one thing you must do.  With all of the DC fuses removed, go to the battery itself and disconnect one of the wires to the battery and then use the Amp-meter and measure the current.  I found that I had almost 3/4 amp current......WITH ALL FUSES REMOVED.  This is called "phantom" load and apparently Forest River has chosen to connect things directly to the battery without mentioning it anywhere.  Some of the load I cannot figure out.  It just taps off the +batt lead and goes under the floor and where it goes I have no idea.  

For this reason it requires either to remove a battery lead when parking the unit for any length of time or as I did install a switch AT THE BATTERY to make it easier.  In my case I brought the 180 home from the dealer and parked it for 3 days in our RV storage area until I brought it over to the house to start loading it for the trip.  First thing... DEAD BATTERY 8.7volts.  Charged the battery all day and over night while I was loading the trailer.  Battery would only take a partial charge because of the deep discharge but would come up to 11.6 volts.  Disconnected the power for the night, made sure everything was turned off and next morning.... DEAD BATTERY.  

This is what got me started trying to figure out what was going on and thus far is still a problem.  We'll see what the dealer does.  I suspect they will have it for a month or so....

This explain things for you or do you need more?  Collectively maybe we owners can solve the problem.
When in doubt, don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>