R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedP-Podding in cold weather

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-Podding in cold weather
    Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 1:33am
I am going to Yosemite next thurs and it supposed to get down to 12 degrees . I don't do much winterizing because it doesn't freeze in San Fran/ East Bay.  
I am going to be running my heater because I don't want to freeze to death 🤗. 

Will running the heater prevent my Rpod water from freezing???

Thank you

Rick 

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 3:12am
Probably not. You should winterize and carry bottled water for drinking and flush with antifreeze.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 8:10am
I tried to do a search on 'winter camping' on this and was unsuccessful. 

I would also like to do some winter camping, using this thread, perhaps some of our experienced members could help on this.

Winterizing the trailer and having a VERY warm sleeping bag are mandatory and obvious, ditto warm clothing.

Condensation seems to be the big threat, with freezing/thawing cycles of windows resulting in damage to them and other parts of the interior. Is there an optimal internal temperature to avoid this? I have had heavy condensation at mid-20s F. in spite of a heater and cracking a window and the ceiling fan vent. I hate to have any, but perhaps some condensation is unavoidable?

A 'back up' propane tank also seems mandatory. (I have mounted two tanks with a switching valve between them.)

? Emergency items for the 'what if' situation? Shovels, an axe, etc

Thanks for any comments.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 8:54am
We have dry camped in cold weather but have had the same problems with some condensation on the walls, especially the lower parts that are closer to the floor, near the seat cushions and around the mattress.  This has happened in spite of trying different methods:  cracked 2 windows with fan on low, cracked 4 windows with fan on low.  Windows are open about 1/4".  Top half of walls and ceiling remain dry but not the lower half, and this is with temps around 30.  Burn through a fair amount of propane, we have 2 tanks as well.  Shovel (snow removal), axe (firewood), hatchet (kindling), and a good multipurpose knife are all the extras we bring.  We haven't gone in mid-winter as the threat of getting stranded/snowed in is a possibility in northern Michigan.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:03am
GOOGLE "RVing Winter" or "Winter RVing",  I found a number of sites to visit and a lot of suggestions.  I am currently in the second week of an 8 week stay with freezes predicted.  However, I am not off the grid.  I do have electric space heaters, a heated water hose, inclined my tanks drains hose, which I keep closed until dump time.  My water heater is ON (electric).  When temps drop below freezing I will open interior cabinets to allow heat to hoses in the slide out sink area.  Have seen advise to add anti-freeze to black and gray tanks, but not expecting long below freezing temps, only at night. Fresh water tank is empty.  Only concern, and not a big one is the fridge and gas it uses, which can turn to jelly in long cold periods.  Off the grid is covered in sites I found.
Annieoakley View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 5:43pm
I would like to see a picture of how you mounted two propane tanks.  Thanks. 
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 6:33pm
TO ANNIEOAKLEY - (Private Message I HOPE)

I had a local rv place install it. If needed, I can get info from r-pod, which is now in storage down the road. 2 containers with a splitting valve between, theoretically automatic switch to full tank when one is empty.
You may want to talk to a local dealership.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

TO ANNIEOAKLEY - (Private Message I HOPE)

I had a local rv place install it. If needed, I can get info from r-pod, which is now in storage down the road. 2 containers with a splitting valve between, theoretically automatic switch to full tank when one is empty.
You may want to talk to a local dealership.

Not private. To write a private message, click on the down arrow beside the person's name to whom you wish to write. Then you can select to send a private message.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:53pm
At those temps you do need to winterize.  We've had discussions here before on winter camping, here is one:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8530
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dianab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:55am
Hi folks. BRAND new podder here.
We're planning a Thanksgiving trip in Western PA and temps are going to be in the 30's and 40's, though not predicted to go below freezing. The pod is already winterized (dealer did that before we purchased last week) and I'm wondering what is the best/easiest way to enjoy our first trip. If we play it safe and do not un-winterize it, we can use your tips here about flushing with antifreeze, bringing water, running the heater, cracking a window, etc. But could we use the kitchen sink for clean up, with the grey tank having some antifreeze already in it? Then at the end of the weekend after we dump both tanks can we simply pour antifreeze into the sink to winterize that portion of the system? And would we also then pour some more antifreeze into the toilet? Or should we just camp like we're in a really awesome tent, do all of our water stuff like we did pre-pod, and wait until Spring for the full-on experience?
I have to say, that of all the stuff I don't know, the winterizing part is what scares and confuses me most of all.
Thanks for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>