R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuality of R-Pods vs other TTs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality of R-Pods vs other TTs?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:28pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and I haven't bought an R-Pod yet. My husband and I have been looking into the R-Pods for the last few months. We have both tent camped all our lives, but we took our soon to be 2 year old daughter camping last summer and realized things would be much easier with a travel trailer. We are looking for something to comfortably fit myself, my husband, our toddler, and our 20 lb dog. 

If we do get an R-Pod, we are leaning toward a new 179. I thought I was set on a 178 until we actually looked at them, and I couldn't believe the difference in inside storage and kitchen space between the 179 and 178. Plus, we aren't planning on more kids, so I'm hoping that the dinette bed will be adequate for our daughter for the next several years. 

The reason I ask about the quality of R-Pods is because in all our research, we've found that there are so many choices and options out there, and that we could potentially buy something a little bit bigger with more options (such as a dry bath) for the same or even less money. For example, I recently looked at a Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 21RB. The floor plan is perfect for us but after spending some time in R-Pods, the Grey Wolf seemed to be really lacking in quality in comparison. For example, there were drawers that were crooked and poorly put together, and the mattress and dinette were extremely uncomfortable compared to the R-Pod and there was no TV. 

I was curious to see what other's views are on the quality of R-Pods vs other TT. Thanks for your opinions!

Jackie from California
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:01pm
You have to go with what works for you.. That said, the R-Pod is the number one selling TT in it's class.. (TT's under 20 feet) Bath isn't an issue for most.. is for some. We have hundred of showers in ours.. meh, it's a shower. Overall, quality in TT's is a wash, unless you spend more money. A square trailer will always have more "room" and storage then an oval one.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 7:11pm
We are on our second rpod,having started in a 171 and moved onto a 179. It has a really nice kitchen area with lots of storage. The slide out also adds a lot of room to the 179.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:30pm
Welcome.  All campers have some problems over time, and all models have some assembly problems.  The pods had some additional assembly issues in recent years but the latest word is FR is improving on that.  We'll see over time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Vector1952 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
I just got a 179 and love it...just got back from Ohio...live in Rhode Island...just winterized it today can't wait for,spring

Xxxx7
AmberKate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 11:08pm
Hey Jackie!!

I have a 2015 179 for about a year and a half and have done some camping in it... it has also spent many days (150+) @ the local Camping World getting not getting repaired.

Have had some concerning probs with the Pod. The big one is it came from the factory minus a washer for one of the water lines to the sink ... I thought the dog was just spilling her water on the floor - no such luck there was a slow leak/drip  that soaked the cabinets & shelves on the inside which additionally peeled the "finish" off of some of the exterior molding - the microwave blew out (thank goodness during the  warranty and FR Fed-Exed a new one overnight so a camping trip with the Grandkids could be had),  the "porch" light cover melted on the same camping trip.  The gray water sensor has never worked and when you look underneath the pod there are all kinds of wires just hanging down - not fastened to the body... just hanging there!  So much for workmanship.  Recently just had a tire explode which ripped the fender/lights completely off the trailer (No one will tell you but the MAXIMUM tire speed is 65 mph - this I obviously found out the hard way.)  

I am  still waiting for CW to complete the work - lots of it was damage they created while "repairing" something else  - they broke cabinet door trying to get in to repair the water damage (neither of which is fixed), broke frame around slide repairing the slide leak (slide fixed but not the break, trim on frame not ever put up right (not fixed), scratched decal on outside so deeply on the outside while in parking lot for 110 days it had to be replaced(that is fixed!!) , broke handle on black tank valve (not fixed.)  The delay mostly lays with Camping World.  

As to the tire issue, even though my Pod is now out of warranty, Jessica @ Forest River (who gets copied on all correspondence to Camping World...egad,  she must be sick of me by now)   contacted tire manufacturer & they have offered to replace the 1 tire & the rim if it is warped & FR has offered to replace the fender as a goodwill gesture... Of course that leaves me paying $125 per hour for Giant Rec World for labor!

When I have had the Pod in my possession - I have had fun with it!  A trip to TN to see my son & a glorious stay at Defeated Creek Campground!  The G-kids & I have been on some short trips to the Springs throughout the state. The couch bed is a real bother the cushions have a wierd configuration and just plain do not stay on the table top when you roll over they just slide onto the floor. and I haven't figured out quite what to do about that - I would pity 2 adults if they had to try to sleep on that bed-I think it would be impossible to actually do any sleeping!

Now, all that being said, I brought up all the above because those are some of my reasons for looking for something a little more long term friendly for me & the dog. Frankly, the refrigerator is just too darn small, I hate making the bed which is a real challenge, and I want a "dry" bath not the wet bath, I want a guest bed that can actually sleep 2 if necessary  and finally, I definitely want an attached awning!  The R-Dome is just too much for 1 person to put up... if I wanted I tent I would be camping in one - and it just never looks right because of the axle risers it sort of hangs from the keder rail.

I have looked at the Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS with walk around queen bed & jackknife sofa- looked underneath - everything is enclosed  which makes it better for chillier climates and it protects the undercarriage wiring.  Also has a fridge with separate freezer, a dry bath, and I really like the light interior colors... which you can get with almost no brown!!  It can carry a ton more gear (if your tow vehicle has the capacity.) It has a power awning with lights.  Not to mention it comes in RED!

I recently have been also looking at a Gulf Stream Vintage Cruiser - I am over 50 so I love that retro thing - am particularly looking at the ERD model with a sort of clever layout for the bath with the shower separate. It too has the fridge, walk around bed, power awning, and enclosed undercarriage requirements + it has a real roll & tuck diner eating nook, with cute curtains  and  other clever attributes. The Vintage does not have a slide like the Micro Minnie - but I can see the advantages of not having to maintain a slide!

So there are some of my thoughts on the R-Pod 179 - Hope they help
AmberKate & RIP Little Tootsie -
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 9:05am
Hi Jackie,
We have a 2015 179 and we are very happy with this trailer. However in my opinion the 179 is a 2 person trailer. Like you we were tent campers until we bought the 179 and now we feel like we are camping in luxury. With over a 100 nights camping since May, 2015 we have had our share of problems but Forest River and especially our local dealer, Dufour's RV in Massachusetts have repaired all of our problems under warranty and we have not had a single trip that was interrupted by mechanical problems. We are very happy we bought from a local dealer. One thing I would add is to assess your tow vehicle situation before you commit to any trailer. Their is plenty of information on this site and others about TV and plenty of buyers remorse that they bought the trailer before the TV. In my opinion the total weight of your trailer fully loaded and ready to camp should be no more than 50-60% of your TV maximum tow weight. 
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
jackie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 1:38pm
I just wanted to come back and say thank you for the advice everyone. My husband and I have put a lot more thought into it and have decided we should get a trailer that we will (hopefully) be happy with when our daughter is a little older vs getting something that is okay for right now. We are currently looking at 24 ft bunkhouse models with a separate bedroom. Thanks again!
MARCHION View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 11:08pm
We bought the 178 new in French camp California used it for a week long trip and saw a 179 on that trip. And traded it back for the 179. Better floor plan, much more storage like you mentioned.   Cost plenty but I had to do it. Just returned from Prescott/ Sedona area for two + weeks. Saw a fair amount of Pods everyone liking including us. Originally towed with jeep Cherokee but upgraded to dodge 1500 truck.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 12:54pm
Marchion, welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171