This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Pod 179! / drain question!! - Event Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New Pod 179! / drain question!!
    Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 2:09pm
Just tried out the 2017 179 and love it love it love it.    Coming from tent camping then to pop ups and now this- luxury.   Lots of questions but slowly getting the hang of it.

first 3 questions...
 1.  when I drain the grey water tank, no flushing needed?  just pull the level and let it empty?  Should I open up all the valves inside to kinda flush it?  Of course there's the black tank flush but not the grey??  Just wondering if they'll be lose bits of food from washing the dishes caught in there...

2.  Those drain valves/tubes (the black and red-there's two sets just hanging) my dealer said to drain them but I can't get them off!  It looks like they're threaded and you should be able to just twist off the end but they're not turning!  One of them I twisted so hard that the whole black end piece is turning making me think I need to pull it off??  Or because it's brand new it's just really tight??

3.  The waste caterpillar tube thing... (sorry I'm new to this-don't know the official name)  well I used it once and it sprang a leak because (I think) I pulled it too hard to reach the grey water tank and sure enough I see a little pin size leak in the middle.  IF I get a longer one  like  15-20 feet will it fit inside the tube provided under the battery or is that standard for only 10 ft? 

Any info, greatly appreciated!

Neil
2017 179 R Pod
2014 Toyota Tacoma

finder9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 4:55pm
Hi Neil,
Let me give this a shot. Seems like you're moving up in size and we're moving down.  We just got our 179 after years of looking to downsize from fifth wheels.

1) There is no real way to flush your grey tank without just completely filing it and pulling the valve gate.  Be religious with using a sink strainer.

2) Those back and red valves are labeled "Low point drains". When they are opened supposedly all the water in the lines empty regardless of the source.  I've never completely believed it and only used them when I winterize. The caps should come off just by twisting.  I noticed my water tank drain valve was really hard to get off and ended up using a pliers -- but gently so you don't crack it.

3) Your sewer line (caterpillar tube thing) is not always made of the heaviest material.  Better quality comes with a price but with careful handling the cheaper ones can last for years.  If it leaks you may wish to replace.  Taping it will probably not last.  A 10 feet section is the only one that will fit in the tube under the battery. Longer ones, even ones that expand to the length you need, are available to install under the trailer.  Just don't interfere with stabilizers or other wiring.

When you dump your tanks, dump black first, then the grey so it flushes the sewer hose. When I'm hooked up to full hookups, I let my tanks get close to full before I pull the valve gates.  Gravity and weight helps to flush the tanks completely.  The black tank flush is a great feature and will keep leftover material from clogging lines and fouling the sensors resulting in bad readings.
Hope some of this helps. Other forum members may have some hints they've learned over the years.

Jack
Jack
2017 Rpod 179
2015 Dodge Ram
Calipod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 5:20pm
Great!  Thanks for the response.  My first post so this was nice getting feedback right away instead of asking around etc.

Must get my pliers then and invest in some decent sewer lines. 

Neil
finder9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 6:11pm
Neil,
When we picked up our pod the dealer supplied a "Starter Pak" containing essentials including a "EZ" brand sewer hose. It seems to be decent quality but only 10 feet.  Most of the time 10 feet is ok but I purchased a 10 foot extension for the same make hose and it has the needed connectors.  I'll leave it in the box in the storage bay until I may need it.  Found it at Camping World.

Some other items I picked up:

Scotch Command Hooks for coats etc.
"Tap" lights for dark corners like the huge cabinets.

Just an afterthought.

Jack
Jack
2017 Rpod 179
2015 Dodge Ram
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 6:34pm
Finder9 covered the questions very well. For the hose consider the Rhinoflex 15 foot or the sewer hose available at most camping stores and Amazon. For the carrier most users go with:

http://www.dwincorp.com/products/125/NEW-SUPER-SLIDER-Adjustable-SUPER-TUBE

Your experience with the shorter hose indicates just how useless the factory package is.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 6:44pm
The 10' hose that came in our starter kit lasted two dumpings before it cracked. We replaced it with a 15' RhinoFLEX and have been very happy with the durability. We also installed one of the Super Slider hose tubes onto the rear frame bar, which makes it look like a bumper.
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 6:49pm
calipod, I made my own sewer hose. The factory supplied 10ft'er isn't quite long enough. I went to local rv place bought a 15ft sewer hose and the end to go with it, (that attaches to the black/gray lines.) This hose fits in the supplied sewer holder under the tounge.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 8:46pm
I'll add, keep the black tank valve closed if you have full hookups, then follow the 2/3 rule:  don't empty the black tank unless it is at least 2/3 full (add water if you must empty it), and always add 2/3 of a bowl of water in the toilet for any #2 uses.  You can keep the gray valve open but close it to gather a few shower's worth of water before dumping the black tank (as finder9 talked about).

Usually you need 2 wrenches/pliers to open each low-point drain.  One to hold the threaded part, one to turn the cap.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:25am
Removing the low point drain caps is a 2 handed operation.  You should use something to hold the pipe to which the caps are attached and a pair of pliers or a wrench to turn the caps.
 Post Reply Post Reply