R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod TV Antenna

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod TV Antenna
    Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 11:26am
The antenna that comes with our R Pod is the Winegard Model RS-1500.  It is about the cheapest antenna for RV digital TV that can be purchased.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  It helps keep the cost of the camper down when added to other parts of the camper.  The antenna cost around $65.00 depending on where it is purchased.

There is a much better antenna.  Take a look here: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDMS9100RV  The HDMS9100RV antenna at $129.89 in my opinion would be a better choice.  What comes with the antenna makes the difference.

Towards the bottom of the page there is a comparison chart with 8 different antennas.  On a personal note I am very unhappy with my antenna.  I just haven't had very good luck with it.

Terry  
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 6:57pm
Thanks for the info.  We've only tried our antenna a couple of times with little reception.  A lot of that had to do with the location we were at.  It isn't important to us because we don't watch much TV when we camp anyway.  We do like to watch movies, read books or just watch the fire and look up at the sky at night.  We only have a TV for "just in case".

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 9:41pm
Same here - we don't watch TV out there and the kids usually watch DVDs before bed.  I've tried every gadget on the 'pod, but haven't tried the digital tuner.  Guess I might have to give it a try this winter.  Good excuse to step inside the 'pod for a little while this winter.  Approve
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 12:10am
I like to set and watch the news in the morning with a cup of coffee.  I use the radio more than the TV but like I said, I like to watch the news.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
VenturaTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 1:13am
Information on something like the antenna type and such is always good to share.

For myself, and Di, I don't think the antenna is anything we'll ever want to use, at least not an over-the-air antenna.  We more likely to want to use a broadband wireless connection for stuff anyway.

What would be interesting, if anyone has done this, would be how to REMOVE the antenna and just "plug up" the hole (and deal with leftover wiring).  One less bit of wind resistance can't hurt I figure.
Tom
R-Pod 177 with Chevy S-10ext Cab V6 puller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 9:31am
Welcome, VenturaTom!

Forest River puts a lot of caulk around the things on the roof (in some cases too much).  You could peel off the caulk around the antenna, unmount it, and then apply new caulk to seal it all up again.  However, you might want to wait until after your warranty has expired.  If you develop a leak in the ceiling they might blame it on the missing antenna and deny warranty coverage.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 6:22pm
    We too watch TV when the stations are available. A different antenna sounds good if it would make a big improvement with the reception. Thanks Terry for the imformation I will check it out.  
   David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 7:44am
   We were camping last week at Oscar Scherer State Park and we were not able to pick up any stations with the factory antenna. I connected a nonamplified rabbit ear antenna and placed it on the roof of the RPod and picked up 9 stations. When we got home in Fort Myers I checked out the reception with the factory antenna an was able to pick up all the stations here locally. My thoughts are when you are sourounded by trees you need more verticale heighth than the factory antenna. At the camp ground there was a small Airstream maybe the Bambi it had a large antenna that lifted up high above the traier about 3 feet ( guessing ). We are getting closer to making a decission on replacing the antenna that came with the RPod. There is a lot of garbage that is on TV, but we are selective in what we watch. We like the news and PBS and my wife likes to watch Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy. Does anyone have suggestions on a better antenna.  Thankyou     Happy New Year and many safe and joyful camping days.      David and Danette
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

GrandPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 1:51pm
David
 Did you check  to make sure your 12vdc on the booster was on? I had this problem with the poor reception and discovered that the green led on the booster was not on. Pushed the power on button and had great reception.
 Tom
Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 3:42pm
 The button was pressed and light was on. At Koreshan State Park we also had better reception with the rabbit ears. Were ready for something better. It it is helpful at home if you turn the the switch off we lose the picture so it does work just not that well if your a distance from the television broadcast signal. The rabbit ears are good but not conveinient.    David
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>