R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother furnace problem thread...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another furnace problem thread...
    Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 4:47pm
I know there are a million of these, but what's one more.

So I had never used our furnace so I tried it out before going away last weekend. Turned right on and heated up. At the campground, fired it up when we went to bed and it came in for a bit...but then never came on the rest of the night or rest of the weekend for that matter. Get home, I figure what the hey and I try it and it turns on...but again, that was it..haven't gotten it back on in the last few days. No fan, no sound at all.

So I've checked the furnace fuse and its fine. I just tried swapping in a new thermostat and no change ( figured that was the easiest place to start). I haven't checked for power at the furnace yet. Anyone have any idea where the thermostat wires run? The wires at the tstat are just a harness so I guess there must be some kind of control unit somewhere?

If it was a bad sail switch would the fan still come on? I'll take it to the dealer if I have to, since it's brand new, but it's a couple hours away so in trying to avoid it.

Thanks for the help.
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2017 Rpod 182G
marked001 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 1:59pm
Everything appears to have power. I don't have a voltmeter to check how much power, but I can see the wires get power when I turn the tstat on. 
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2017 Rpod 182G
Triple J- Poders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 7:18pm
I had exactly the same problem with my new 2017 179. Every time I had towed the trailer, furnace worked perfectly--but only once, then nothing. Long story short, it was the sail switch. Searching the internet indicates it's a fairly common problem. I was basically starting from zero furnace knowledge, but there are a couple of YouTube videos which were pretty helpful (one showed the exact furnace I have in my unit) and which show you how to manually unstick the sail switch if that's something you're willing to take on. After cycling the furnace a few times it seems to be working reliably. Suspecting it may be a "new unit" problem which just needed loosening up. And in answer to the above question, with my unit, a stuck sail switch seems to prevent anything at all(both fan and heat) from functioning.

2017 RPod 179 Hood River Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 12:02pm
That is the likely culprit.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marked001 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 1:41pm
yup, sail switch it was. I didnt' have time to mess with it anymore so I bit the bullet and towed it to the dealer and they replaced the sail switch. I just got it back over the weekend. Thanks for the help though. 
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2017 Rpod 182G
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 3:50pm
what the heck is a sail switch and where is it located ?
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 5:14pm
The sail switch activates an electronic air cleaner, a humidifier, or other equipment in response to airflow from the system fan. It is located on the backside of the furnace (from the outside) take off the face plate on the floor inside the pod, the switch will have 2 spade connectors attached and also a 'paddle' for lack of a better term that moves up and down to activate the switch.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply