R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTemporary winterization....?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temporary winterization....?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 10:18am
Interesting concept. We are anticipating a winter trip. This is something I will be looking closely at to see if it will work for us. Thank you for the detailed information to which you provided the link.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:57am

On another forum I describe a solution to extend the camping season into transitional seasons and deal with the short term freezes such as overnight dips into the 20s followed by above freezing days. It utilizes the onboard pump and water heater to circulate hot water through the FW piping and back to the FW tank. The pump runs periodically for short intervals and is controlled by a programmable timer for totally autonomous operation. It can be used when the camper is stationary or being towed and, if adequate propane and 12V power is available, can be left unattended for days at a time. Space heating, either propane or electric, can be added for protection of the toilet,  faucets, and P-traps. The referenced post is for a different model, but the basic concepts are applicable to any camper. Each application is highly camper specific and requires detailed knowledge of the plumbing paths within the camper. An added benefit is the circulator can minimize wasted FW and gray water storage waiting for hot water to reach a faucet or shower. Great when camping without hookups. For those interested please follow the thread at: http://livinlite-owners.com/thread/1477/fresh-water-anti-freezeup-system

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:56am
We have camped several days on bottled water.  We went from Idaho to Death Valley for a week in Feb. The trailer was winterized.  They had a grey and black water dump there.
jcphotog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:29pm
Basically I ended up setting up the heater with under sink cabinet door open, as well as running some fairly diluted antifreeze through the system that I can easily flush once I get to Utah tomorrow.  Hopefully that will do it...!
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:40pm
And anything you can do to reduce the free passage of air underneath the trlr will help. Hay bales work well.

Life is good.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 12:41pm
Bingo, open everything up, and I would go warmer than 55, and put the heater on the floor where it is cooler. Even with everything open any piping on the floor by an outer wall may be pushing the freeze zone if it gets too cold.

Also dump the fresh water tank and run the pump with a valve open to clear the fresh water pickup hose.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 11:10pm
Good idea, Tars. (On my 179, I would pull the three drawers out below the sink to let air circulate in there.)
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 10:08pm
The heater might be enough for mid 20s but a little extra insurance would be to take off the panel under the sink, exposing that plumbing to the heat, and to turn the heat on the water heater.  Either electric or propane.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 8:24pm
Great question, great answer.... thought about that a lot: a temp way to hold off a full winterization. We will be in the NC mountains for awhile as temps cool, but want to run the WanderPod down to family on FL Gulf Coast for Thanksgiving, before the step of putting it into full NC hibernation for the winter.
jcphotog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:56pm
Excellent idea!  I plugged in the camper (it's in my driveway right now), and hooked up a space heater set to 55F.  Hopefully that is sufficient....

Look forward to being in California where it's warm.  We had snowflakes today....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>