R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow vehicle concerns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow vehicle concerns
    Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 6:12pm
Hi All~

We are currently towing our 2017 Rpod 171 with a 2004 Mazda Tribute--Mid-sized SUV with V6 engine and tow capacity of 3,500.  The car is on it's way out and has been running poorly post-camping trips.  

We're in the market for a new vehicle but wonder if the tow capacity of 3,500 is enough.  We travel light and intend to keep our travels to the East coast for the next several years.  Two adults, one child. 

We really want a mid-size suv (no pickups or large suvs!), but have had little luck finding affordable options that exceed the 3,500 tow capacity.  

Is a tow capacity of 3,500 enough for our rpod 171?  If not-what tow vehicles do you recommend?  

Your thoughts are appreciated!  
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 7:44pm
How far do you travel for trips? Need to drive at 65mph? Mountains, hills?

For short lower speed (under 65mph) towing a vehicle with 3500lb capacity should be OK.

For harder towing (65mph, mountains ,hills, long distances) 5000lb+ should be considered, and look for 6-8 speed transmissions. They also perform better towing.

Over 6000lb capacity will be easier on the tow vehicle.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Ginger the Avenger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 8:20pm
Thanks so much for the response, John.  We haven't had to exceed 65--tend to stay around 60 mph on the highways.  For the next year or so, we're staying in the Florida area which is quite flat.  But we have a 500 mile trip to the keys planned for next Spring.  Based on your feedback, we'll likely stick with our current vehicle for a few more months and invest in something with a higher capacity before the longer trip.  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 8:28pm
+1.  You could do some highway towing with a 3500 pound capacity if you occasionally go some distance, just don't expect to go cross-country.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
AmberKate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 10:54pm
My Dodge Durango Ltd. with factory tow package has 6,000 tow capacity & Jeep Cherokee has 7200 with tow package.
AmberKate & RIP Little Tootsie -
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 11:07pm
The four wheel drive version of the Honda Pilot is rated at 4500#. we towed a 172 all over the country for a year an a half with little trouble. The Rockies were a slow climb, but we got there. 60 MPH at low altitudes no problem. Very well suited for Florida. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Ginger the Avenger

Hi All~

We are currently towing our 2017 Rpod 171 with a 2004 Mazda Tribute--Mid-sized SUV with V6 engine and tow capacity of 3,500.  The car is on it's way out and has been running poorly post-camping trips.  

We're in the market for a new vehicle but wonder if the tow capacity of 3,500 is enough.  We travel light and intend to keep our travels to the East coast for the next several years.  Two adults, one child. 

We really want a mid-size suv (no pickups or large suvs!), but have had little luck finding affordable options that exceed the 3,500 tow capacity.  

Is a tow capacity of 3,500 enough for our rpod 171?  If not-what tow vehicles do you recommend?  

Your thoughts are appreciated!  

My wife and I have also purchased a Rpod 171, a 2016 model. We purposely chose that model for being the lightest of the 'pods. When our trailer is loaded it runs between 2700 and 3000 lbs. with minimal or no fresh water in the tank. This keeps the trailer below maximum gross vehicle weight (3225 lbs.). 

We have had good success towing with a mid-sized SUV - a 2009 Toyota RAV4, V-6 (5-speed, 269 HP, 3500 lbs. tow capacity). It has the tow package (transmission cooler, larger alternator and radiator), factory tow hitch receiver, & Husky Centerline weight-distributing, anti-sway hitch. So far we have been quite pleased with that as a tow vehicle. 

We live in Southwest Oregon which has its share of mountain grades. Since the speed limit is 55 mph for trailer towing, I keep the speed at 55 mph on two lane roads, always on the lookout for turnouts to let faster traffic get by. On the freeway,  I'll get up to between 55 and 60, but occasionally pass slower traffic if there's a clearing in the fast lane. By keeping the speeds down like that the fuel mileage has been in the high 13's.

I found that by using cruise control most of the time it runs in 4th gear on flat ground and only shifts to 5th on downhill runs. I started out manually making these gear changes, but discovered that cruise control did a better job than I did in noticing those slight down grades where top gear would be appropriate. For hill climbing, especially on freeways, I don't try to keep the speed up, since that often causes a downshift to lower gears and high RPMs. By switching off cruise control and keeping light pressure on the throttle, I can prevent down shifts, allowing the speed to get down to 45 MPH if necessary. Experience has taught me how much throttle I can apply without instigating a gas-guzzling down shift. Only on the steepest grades is it necessary for high RPMs to keep above 45 MPH. One interesting thing about towing the Rpod is that going down steep grades, there is seldom any need for braking, due to the Rpod's high wind resistance. Without the trailer, I usually need a lower gear or braking to avoid speed increasing.

While there are benefits to tow vehicles with higher tow capacities, a mid-sized SUV is quite capable of towing the lighter Rpods. One just needs to be aware of vehicle weight limits and drive with some insight in recognition of the load you are towing. Rather than just guessing at trailer and tow vehicle loading I've found the "Spreadsheet for Rpod and Tow Vehicle Loading" to be useful. That thread has some discussion of the issues in loading. A copy of the Excel spreadsheet can be downloaded here. You can input your own vehicle specifics regarding loads, tow capacity, maximum tongue weight, front- & rear-maximum axle loading.

I hope my experience will of use in your search for a new tow vehicle. Happy trails to you!

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 5:47am
This is incredibly helpful!  Can't thank you enough for the detailed response:).  Researching and purchasing the rPod was stressful enough!  Throwing in this hunt for a new vehicle has me in a tailspin. Really appreciate your input!  Smile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 5:48am
Good to know!  Thank you:)!!!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 10:14am
Like Rustler, we also tow with a smaller vehicle with 3,500 lb rating. It is a 2016 Ford Escape SE with 2L Ecoboost engine and factory tow package. Our first major trip after picking up our R-Pod was to take it out west (from North Carolina) to see our daughters and their families. That was Nevada and Arizona. Since, I have towed it to Louisville, KY and two trips to the northeast, including the Green Mountains of Vermont and the Adirondacks of New York. Our trip included western North Carolina (Cherokee) and parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some of the climbs were significant, especially when we left I81 to go to the last segment of the north end of the BRP. That was steep and winding, preventing us from building up any kind of speed. Engine and transmission heat were a problem, but as soon as we got on the BRP, the temperatures dropped to a better level as we were able to run at a speed sufficient to get adequate airflow across the radiator and transmission cooler. Turning the AC off helped also. It was not needed on the BRP as the temperatures were 15-20 degrees lower than they were on I81.

With the smaller vehicle, a good weight distribution hitch with sway control is essential. I wouldn't dream of towing the R-Pod without it. We have the Equal-i-zer 4-way sway control hitch with the 6,000 lb rating. One other thing that has helped was to install a wind deflector. I chose the AeroPlus by PurpleLine. It, together with limiting our top speed to 60 mph, has helped us to get between 14 and 16 mpg probably averaging about 15 mpg. Before we got it, and trying to hit 65 and 70 mph on that first trip, our mileage ranged from 8-14 mpg, mostly around 10-11 mpg.

I would not necessarily recommend our tow vehicle, but it is the one we have and I can't afford to trade it. It will have to serve until we can afford to do so. I would like to get a tow vehicle with a Diesel engine when we do eventually replace our Escape. Meanwhile, I will continue to use the Escape to tow our EscaPOD.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>