R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Theory on failed Power Converters & possible fix
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTheory on failed Power Converters & possible fix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Theory on failed Power Converters & possible fix
    Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by techntrek

12 volt power isn't needed for the A/C, so that would lead me to think a circuit breaker or two is tripped, as suggested above.
We've seen very few converter issues on this board, even with pods that have 20,000+ miles on them (like ours did).  It is possible you just ended up on the low end of the bell curve with two bad converters in a row.  

Actually, on the newer AC units like those in the 180, 12v is required for the digital AC thermostat and the AC will not function without it. I learned that the hard way when the first converter went.

It's possible I was unlucky in the converter department but the coincidence of the mileage being very close the same both times is highly suspicious to me, which led to my investigation and theory. I'm not claiming this is a guaranteed issue or fix, I'm just sharing my experience.
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
rpodnewbies View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:05am
Thanks Chet!I talked to a service guy today and he said it was probably a bad converter! We are taking it to be fixed! We aren't mechanically gifted to do it ourselves but you gave great directions! Thanks again!

Rpodnewbies
Randy & Sandra
Empty nesters
R180/2017
rpodnewbies View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:08am
Yes that was the first thing we checked was the breakers!
Randy & Sandra
Empty nesters
R180/2017
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by ChetC

Actually, on the newer AC units like those in the 180, 12v is required for the digital AC thermostat and the AC will not function without it. I learned that the hard way when the first converter went.  

I assumed that was supplied by the A/C itself, like home systems.  Learned something today.  Smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StonyRiverDave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 10:17pm
I just had a converter failure in the middle of a 6 week trip.  On disassembly inspection, I found that the resistor R1 had "fallen off" the circuit board. So I think that the discussions on vibration issues are valid.  We also had the read walls bread free from the platform on this trip and needed repairs.  The excellent repair by ArrKan RV in Edmonton found just a few screws were holding the back together and were too short or broken off. Trans Canada 16 is quite a bouncy 4 lane.
2017 R-Pod 178
2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12