Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner
    Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 11:37am
Got the 2017 rpod 179 yesterday. spending the day learning the setup and systems today. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 12:32pm
Congratulations and Welcome!

We hope you enjoy your 179 as much as we are enjoying ours. We've had several trips with it since picking it up last December. I've made a number of mods also which can be seen by following the link in my signature. There is a wealth of information on the forum that will help you. We have benefited greatly from the forum.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 2:09pm
We've put over 5000 miles on our 179 since March. The only serious problem we've had were with the factory tires both blowing out (at different times), but it took almost all of those 5000 miles for the problem to arise. The moral to that story is to keep your speed at 65 mph or lower.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 2:13pm

Congratulations!
If you have any questions, just ask.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 7:46pm
Welcome.  Make sure your pod tires are inflated to the max pressure shown on the sidewall, which prevents most blowouts, and check the lug nut torque before each trip.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 11:30pm
Heh, T-Bum... we might be around the same mileage on our 179s. Thanks for your thoughts on keeping speed 65 m.p.h. or lower. We've tipped up into the low 70s, but not in hot weather, but who wants a tire failure? I will think about moderating speeds a bit more now.

We had to run a long gravel section of road construction in southern BC. The rocks thrown up at the leading side of the trailer axle severed the modest factory zip ties holding up the electric brake supply wires. Even though the wires had been behind (on the leeward side) of the axle, the broken zip ties allowed them to relax off the axle, and then they were taking enough rock chip hits to sever near the connectors.

When I noticed a lack of trailer braking assist, I found the physical damage, and we got the WanderPod into a helpful dealer, and they re-zipped and redid the connectors for a shade over $50. Nice dealer. We happily bought a few things from their accessories room to support them also. At the next campsite, I took 90 minutes on a sunny afternoon to go on "split loom & zip tie patrol."

I replaced some zip ties with thicker ones, then used sections of split loom pieces to protect all the exposed segments of wiring I could find under there. I also then decided to protect the various small wire leads that send the tank level status info to the control board inside. (That way twigs and weeds won't ever have their way on those small gauge wires.)

After this general loom-protecting patrol, I used other zip-ties to tie pairs of loom-covered wires together so they could gain support from each other and also stay more put. 

In the end, with my underbody grunt work, I will worry a lot less now (when forced to run future gravel construction zones) about rock fragments damaging systems like they did before.

Oh, and thanks again for your tip on trailer speed. It's supposed to be "liesure" travel, ain't that right?Ouch

There are no unimportant jobs,
no unimportant people,
no unimportant acts of kindness.

( And as always, happiness is an inside job.)
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 12:43am
Originally posted by TheBum

We've put over 5000 miles on our 179 since March. The only serious problem we've had were with the factory tires both blowing out (at different times), but it took almost all of those 5000 miles for the problem to arise. The moral to that story is to keep your speed at 65 mph or lower.

I just changed the tires for load range D tires (65 psi). The 179 is near the top of the weight rating of the load range C tires that come with it. I wanted the extra margin of safety. The wear on the load range C tires was troubling which was why I switched. Pictures of the new tires are in my mods.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply