R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control
    Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 4:48pm
So I got my Tekonsha 90160 Primus brake controller installed. Getting ready to go set the power adjustment. My question is about the boost setting.  It has 3 boost settings available. The chart in the instructions recommend no boost up to the first level of boost. I'm towing with a Tundra.  Does anyone have this controller and what setting are you using?
2016 176t Rpod the "Hoffpod"
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 8:48pm
The boost setting changes how much trailer braking is initially applied when you press the brake pedal and how quickly its increased.  You really shouldn't need even level 1 unless your trailer is over 4000lbs loaded.

But, the best way to set your tekonsha is to try it out on a quiet road.  Set the power first so that you can comfortably stop your trailer without skidding (or nearly skidding) the trailer tires - if you can find a gravel road, try braking on there as well.  Then, play with the boost.  You'll know its too high when it feels like the trailer jerks your truck backwards when you press the brake pedal.

But, like I said, I doubt you'll need boost at all with a 176T.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 9:10pm
I feel that the boost setting is more of a personal preference thing.  I liked mine on B1 with our popup, on B0 for our pod, and B1 for our current 6000 pound camper.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 9:32pm
Well I guess we will just have to feel it out. This coming weekend will be a good test, headed to Franconia Knotch in the White Mts of NH for the weekend. 
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:58pm
whewy gonna be cold in the white mounts.  hopefully some good foliage.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:00pm
Not sure what I thinkof the brake controller. When I tried to set it up I had the controller maxed out and it would barely slow the rig down when using the manual brake slide. Then I had to make a quick errend run before leaving town and I noticed I had smoke rolling off the brakes and they were really grabby.  I backed the boost down to the lowest setting and lowered the power setting and it seemed to work well driving up through Vermont and Newhampshire.  I'm thinking the brakes just needed to adjust themselves and maybe I should try and set it up again because I don't really like the way it feels.
By the way mjlrpod the White Mountains were beautiful but we were about a week ahead of peak.  I think peak will be this weekend.  We turned the furnious one for a short while before we went to bed and when we first got up and we were very comfortable. It was in the low 60's during the day and 40's at night.  No rain buy misty Sunday morning. We had a good time. 
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:59pm
I used the Primus IQ for towing our RP 175 with our Tundra and am now using it with our 5000 lb Kodiak. The IQ has always done a great job. I've never felt the need to use the boost feature. Set up for me has always been to just bring the trailer up to about 20 to 25 mph. Using the IQ only (no truck brakes) adjust the IQ until the trailer brakes start to lock up, then back off the adjustment until the trailer comfortably slows smoothly-done.

Over the years, I've used the Tekonsha Voyager, Prodigy, and Primus IQ. I personally like the IQ best. It's always slowed us straight and smoothly, and using my transmission's S mode 2, 3, and 4 as needed when going down hill,  then brakes can be used pretty lightly, even descending the Rockies. 
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 7:45pm
I took the boost down to the lowest setting and on our last trip of the season down to PA I think I got the brakes dialed in prity good. I do notice that the brakes get a little grabby when they get hot.  They got a little warm in stop and go traffic.
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
 Post Reply Post Reply