Topic ClosedConsidering an R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering an R-Pod
    Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 1:09pm
Yes, but your Highlander is a gasoline powered vehicle. CMT489 is thinking of towing with an electric (not a hybrid) vehicle. The only way I could see it working would be to mount a generator that can charge the vehicle while it is rolling. I don't know the specs on a Tesla Supercharging station (voltage or amperage). I do know that battery technology just is not to the point where it can replace a gasoline or diesel engine for things like towing.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 3:46pm
Ah, I didn't read the middle posts. Never mind.
cmt489 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 3:48pm
Okay, not meaning to get into a Tesla debate with you but I have much more data available to me than this video (which I have seen before). The general consensus is that your range is cut in half. This is reliable info with people posting their range consumption stats, including with air streams, etc.

As for the video itself, a couple of comments. One, I believe that this car was a P90D which has a lower range than the 90D and uses more energy. Two, it also appears to have the 22" wheels which reduces range by an additional 15%. Third, the battery was charged to the charge limit that they had set but it was significantly less than 100% (from what I could see on the charge panel, it was around 80-85%). ?Four, they also did not have it on energy saving mode, but rather, performance mode. Finally, having towed boats before I can tell you that their aerodynamics are significantly worse than any travel trailer.

cmt489 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 3:54pm
This blog might be of assistance, especially under the FAQ.

https://teslaxcanada.com

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 4:04pm
I've been making a big batch of BBQ sauce this afternoon which requires a beer or two or three to get just right...but I just had a brilliant idea!

How about an electric assist trailer? A potentiometer on hitch measures drag and kicks in electric assist on trailer to "push" it along when needed. Electric assist could be powered from various sources - solar, battery, on board generator, dilithium crystals or Honda 2000 in back of TV.

Back to my BBQ sauce.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
M&M View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 4:25pm
In regards to hooking up and unhooking, we've done it more then a few times now and even with the weight distribution / sway control it only takes us a few minutes...
2017 179 "Big Sexy"
2012 Honda Pilot
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 5:12pm
Hi and welcome! We bought a gently used 2016 R-pod 179 in June. We live/travel in the trailer full time and everything works as it should. The only thing we need to do is replace the battery as it doesn't seem to be holding a charge. The layout and storage are great!

Happy trails!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 6:24pm
Interesting blog, but they were towing an Alto. It also has a much lower profile than an R-Pod. You are welcome to try, but I think you will find that the experience on the blog would be much different if they had tried with an R-Pod or other full-height trailer. Here's a quote:

"We’re back in Supercharger Country! At least for a while. Yes, Canada can be crossed with an EV at this point, easily. Mostly thanks to the great work of Sun Country Highway. Just bring some time. But, sorry to say, we did miss the Tesla Superchargers! Especially with the reduced range we have, 250km (at 60km/h with trailer) instead of 400km (at 110km/h without trailer), it is important for us to have fast charging options to top up our range in the middle of the day.

I don't know about you. I would not want to drive across the country at 37 mph (equivalent of 60 km/h). Until there is adequate infrastructure to support electric vehicles and batteries that will give much more range, I do not see an EV as a viable option for use other than as a novelty.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
cmt489 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by M&M

In regards to hooking up and unhooking, we've done it more then a few times now and even with the weight distribution / sway control it only takes us a few minutes...

Thank you. This is very helpful!
cmt489 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Interesting blog, but they were towing an Alto. It also has a much lower profile than an R-Pod. You are welcome to try, but I think you will find that the experience on the blog would be much different if they had tried with an R-Pod or other full-height trailer. Here's a quote:"We’re back in Supercharger Country! At least for a while. Yes, Canada
can be crossed with an EV at this point, easily. Mostly thanks to the
great work of Sun Country Highway. Just bring some time. But, sorry to say, we did miss the Tesla Superchargers! Especially with
the reduced range we have, 250km (at 60km/h with trailer) instead of
400km (at 110km/h without trailer), it is important for us to have fast
charging options to top up our range in the middle of the day.I don't know about you. I would not want to drive across the country at 37 mph (equivalent of 60 km/h). Until there is adequate infrastructure to support electric vehicles and batteries that will give much more range, I do not see an EV as a viable option for use other than as a novelty.

We will be doing all of our traveling around where Superchargers are in place. What you don't know is that it is essentially an EV black hole east of Calgary and through the prairies.

As for my personal preferences for traveling, they are just that - personal preferences. Again, I am not here to get into an EV debate on this forum, but rather, to make inquiries about this travel trailer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>