R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPushing The Limits On Tow Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pushing The Limits On Tow Vehicles
    Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 1:55pm
Toolman John, I have the Audi version of your TV.  What kind of mpg do you get at 65mph?  I run 14-17mpg at 60mph, depending on how many hills, but always feel like truckers think i'm a speed bump.  Would tow faster if the mpg didn't degrade too far ...

Thanks!
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
kent l View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 6:45pm
I am towing with a Jeep Wrangler 2012 with the 3.6 six cylinder with 285 hp. I have pulled it all over the mountains in Wyoming and Utah. I can pull it at 65 with no problems on the freeway and the two lane highways. If I go to 70 plus the frontal area of the trailer kicks in and it gets harder to pull ( gas mileage goes down). I I pull on mountain passes I have to go slower. Mountain passes with over 10 percent grade keep the speed down to 45 but that is just normal. I have pulled this trailer over passes of 10,500 feet. I have an anderson hitch the keeps the sway to a minimum and also distributes the weight to the front of the Jeep.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Q7-retired

Toolman John, I have the Audi version of your TV.  What kind of mpg do you get at 65mph?  I run 14-17mpg at 60mph, depending on how many hills, but always feel like truckers think i'm a speed bump.  Would tow faster if the mpg didn't degrade too far ...

Thanks!

I am getting a solid 15 mpg average towing at 65mph (cruise set) , 240 miles each way to Vermont. I just completed the trip again this weekend, and it is the same. I have decided to drive the speed limit int he right lane 100% of the time. The only time I pass is when there are people who drive under the limit for MILES, 55-60mph in the 65mph.  That annoys me. they are fine while left lane traffic blows by at 65-70mph, and when I attempt to pass when all is clear, they speed up to prevent a safe pass???...I surprise them, the Touareg can easily jump to 80mph in blink downhill when towing.

On another note, one of my biking buddies has a 2004 4Runner V6, 5 speed. He tows an older T@B trailer doing the same trip to Vermont as me. He needs a new rear differential to the tune of $3000... During the biking trip the weekend, I was in his truck and it sounds bad. He passed me on the way home today with the T@B in tow on I91 south in Vermont at about 70mph... That poor differential.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 5:38pm
It amazes me how many people do that on any given day and not just while towing. Even better is when they sit there blocking the left lane for miles and then speed up when you pass them on the right.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 8:09pm
Yep. I love cruise control. But when people are not paying attention and dawdling along below the speed limit for no good reason it is annoying.
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 8:20pm
Sometimes, there are very good reasons for going below the posted limit. The AeroPlus I use states to limit the top speed to 60 mph. That is where I set my cruise control. I do stay in the right lane except when passing someone going even slower (like heavily laden 16-wheelers on long uphill grades). 60 mph also seems to be a sweet spot for mileage. I've seen up to 16.5 mpg on one tankful of premium, and 15-16 for others. The only tankful below 14 was that included our climb up to the Blue Ridge Parkway's northern end.

If we are on a 2-lane road, I will look for places to pull off if I see a line-up of cars behind me. Since I am usually doing the speed limit on those, there are not that many cases where this happens.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 8:40pm
I usually cruise between 60-65, get the best mileage. Though I do like passing an 18 wheeler every now and thenLOL 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:35pm
I've been searching for a tv as well. I've owed and love my pickups. However u aren't looking for a truck. I last owned a 06 trailblazer that would hit 4+ k rpm on hills. This is the best rpm for gasoline engines for torque. That's what u really need for towing, torque. 
There are many options and opinions. I don't know what's best for you, but I'm sure you'll find it. IMO any diesel would be the best option. Eco boost seems to be good in the mountains, as it is turbocharged. Of course v8s are great to. 

How much of the year will you tow vs daily driving. Im sorry for just describing your dilemma, but I'm there to. Mpg and towing are the main options for me. My choice is Ezr as a truck is the choice for me.

I've found this YouTube channel where the test all kinds of vehicles and in the mountains. TFL. The fast lane. They go over board on off road options,IMO, that's not what I do. . 
They reviewed a land cruiser, not a 4 runner. It's one of the few SUVs they tested for towing. Check them out. Lots of good information. Here is a link for the land cruiser with a v8. I hope this helps, if not its at least informative and entertaining. 
Good luck in your research and hunt.

https://youtu.be/0RGROWlJqW0

Patrick&Deanna,
Scion xB, Clark Vertex Hammock "PuppypPod", crosswind kayak
Starting from scratch😄
NWRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 12:28pm
Now that I am in a new year I am starting to look at this topic again and what I should do. After more research it seems clear to me why I am falling a little short of pushing another 5 to 10 mph more up hills because of the 4 speed.

Fwunder said he was fine with his V6 4Runner, a 2008 5 spd. ToolmanJohn mentioned his experience being sluggish like me and he had the exact same 4Runner as I have, a 2003 4 spd.

Additionally, I have been doing research beyond this form and find many folks commenting on the notable difference for towing with 5spd v6 vs 4 spd v6 on the 4th generation 4Runners, and other makes with similar differences. The 5spd being the pretty clear winner. I am going to be looking for a v8 4th gen 4Runner but sounds like a good v6 2005 or newer with 5s spd will be better than I have now.

I know some of you may wonder why I don't just get something bigger or much newer. I want to stay with similar sized vehicle (really like my 4Runner), not drop much more $ than my current TV and stay with a brand that is known for reliability into 200k+ on the odometer. I will eventually come back to this post with an update (hopefully before summer) on what I ended up with and how it's working.

Happy travels!
2016 R178
2007 Ford Expedition V8 5.4L

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 1:02pm
 Think about getting a V8 Sequoia. I know the every day fuel economy wouldn't be very good, but maybe only a couple hundred dollars a year more in fuel costs, and it will be  superior towing machine vs any engine 4Runner because it's bigger. And they are really nice driving trucks as long as you don't drive it fast.
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>