Topic ClosedChange the TV to a 12V DC model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change the TV to a 12V DC model
    Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 12:26pm
I'd like to see Forest River change the TV to a model that runs from 12 volts DC.  Its the only thing on the 'pod that currently can't run on DC or propane when there's no technical reason why (unlike the A/C and microwave which could never run on DC).  The fridge and furnace fan both require much more amperage when they are running in DC mode so the load isn't an issue, not to mention the current TV is just converting the AC to low-voltage DC already.  We could just use a small inverter to run the existing model, but every amp counts when boondocking so a 12 V model would be better.

Note to new RV owners: only run your fridge in the 12 V mode while you are moving down the road; never use 12 V in camp, either use 120 V AC if it is available or propane.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
PA Retiree View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 10:39pm
This sounds intuitive, but is there a reason for not using 12 volt in camp besides battery drain?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 7:38am

Battery drain is the reason.  The fridge uses about 10 amps per hour.  A typical deep cycle battery is rated to have about 100 amps, but should rarely be discharged below 50% (an occasional discharge to 75% is OK, but be sure to get it charged ASAP), so theoretically you have about 50 amps available.

But, there is something called the Peukert effect, which says that the faster you discharge a lead acid battery the less total capacity the battery will have.  A 10 amp load is fairly large, so while you might think you have about 5 hours of run-time you'll probably only get 3-4.  On the flip side, a 1 amp light bulb will have more than 50 hours of run-time, probably closer to 70.  Mostly this effect is due to the mixing of the electrolyte close to the battery's lead plates, plus changes to the chemical makeup of the surface of the plates.

Another part of the "black magic" surrounding lead acid batteries is the temperature of the battery.  You might get a theoretical 50 amps from a battery sitting at room temperature.  Raise that to 100 F when the battery is sitting in the sun in the summer in a black battery box and you might have 75 amps available.  Drop that to 25 F in the middle of winter and you might only get 25 amps out of the battery.

Back to running a fridge: with only a few hours available from a lead acid battery (that is in good shape and fully charged and isn't cold), you will do better running from propane if you don't have AC hookups available.  You can run a small RV fridge for weeks from one tank of propane - if you aren't also running the furnace and cooking.

I'm going to copy this to a new post in the Tips section.
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:46am

I really wish they would have as well.  The dealer tried to tell me it was because of the dvd player.  I mentioned truckers use dvd players that run off DC all the time and he quickly backed off saying he didn't know why they didn't either.   Oh well, I plan on mostly overnight/weekend trips.  If the TV becomes an issue it won't be difficult to add a larger TV running off DC fairly inexpensively.   I found a DVD player that runs off DC at a truck stop for $50.00.  I don't remember the brand, sorry.

-Eric
RP-177
RP-177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:18am
Welcome Runebane! 

Your best option might be a small inverter to run the existing player.  You can buy a modified sine wave 100 watt inverter for less than $50.  As I mentioned in my posts above, its not the most energy efficient option but still not horrible either.  If you want the best efficieny find the efficiency chart for the specific inverter you are looking at, on the manufacturer's website.  Match the peak efficiency to your usual load, but don't go so small that you can't run other stuff.

Example:  If inverter X is most efficient at 30% load, and let's say the TV uses 15 amps (it doesn't, you should check the nameplate on the TV to find out the real number).  Inverter X is a 50 watt inverter, so its most efficient running a 15 amp load.  Sounds perfect.  But if you also occasionally charge your laptop and also your phone (you don't have the car adapter for either), maybe a 100 watt inverter is better.  Also they get cheaper per watt the more watts you buy...
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 3:14pm
Hmm need to make a trip up to the Truck Stop this weekend.  did some searching online and found all kinds of 12 Volt TV/DVD for Trucks.  Maybe get one to install on the front wall over the table in our 171?
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 12:17pm
Opened the Sunday Newspaper this morning and spotted a special at Office Depot.  7" Portable HD TV for 39.99.  Works on Battery, 12 Volt or 120 Volt with all the cables provided.  Picked it up to try it out.  It is a Digital Prism Model ATSC-710 

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/244342/Digital-Prism-ATSC-710-7-Portable/
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 7:56am
So how did this work out?
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:00pm
Over the weekend had a chance to test the TV.  The TV that came with the R-pod only gets 3 stations where we live.  Hooked the TV up the antenna on the r-pod and did a search and 3 stations came up so it seems to work.  I did have it on my desk at home hooked up to the cable and had over 200 channels available.  I'm thinking that maybe I will grab another one to keep in the r-pod.  Now I need to run some 12 volt circuits in the camper. 
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 8:24am
I also bought a Prism TV that regularly runs on 12VDC (comes with a 110VAC adapter).  I bought it at Office Depot for $40, but the bad news is that Office Depot will no longer carry it.  The screen has a  much higher resolution than the flat screen installed in my Pod.  It has a cable connection in the back which also acts as a small antenna connection.  It has a NiCad battery built in.  It's power consumption is 18Watts.
As I understand it...the RPod's TV/DVD player cannot be used to feed video to the Prism.
If I can find a 12VDC DVD player (see threads above) I will probably remove the factory unit and replace it with the DVD player.  The Prism is small and lightweight enough that I will probably put some industrial strength Velcro straps on the back of the Prism and at several locations on the wall.  With an audio/video cable, I can then position the screen where it could best be seen, when seated or lying in bed. 
TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>