Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CharlieM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New Rpods
    Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by David

I doubt that it would ever happen but, if it did, my comment to the LEO would be something to the effect "Well, I saw YOU and pulled over, didn't I?"

Roger that! Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:01am
[QUOTE=CharlieM]
David,Yes, where is Perry when we need him? This reg is a prime example of a poorly written law by lawyers. It seems the phrase "minimum of 200 feet" means I would comply if I could see from 1000' to infinity, even if I could not see 200', 400', or 700'. Probably not what was meant. The worst part is this language has been copied almost verbatim by most other states. I go overkill with two side mirrors and a rear view camera on the trailer. However, the lawyers probably don't recognize the camera as a "mirror" and it doesn't "reflect". On second thought, maybe we don't need more Perry types................. Disapprove

As usual, I find myself in agreement with you. Funny, as I was writing the above, I was thinking that you are probably the last person that I would be worried about!

I doubt that it would ever happen but, if it did, my comment to the LEO would be something to the effect "Well, I saw YOU and pulled over, didn't I?"
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 9:45am
David,

Yes, where is Perry when we need him? This reg is a prime example of a poorly written law by lawyers. It seems the phrase "minimum of 200 feet" means I would comply if I could see from 1000' to infinity, even if I could not see 200', 400', or 700'. Probably not what was meant. The worst part is this language has been copied almost verbatim by most other states.

I go overkill with two side mirrors and a rear view camera on the trailer. However, the lawyers probably don't recognize the camera as a "mirror" and it doesn't "reflect". On second thought, maybe we don't need more Perry types................. Disapprove
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:58am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by ronahue

Link to AAA listing of Mirror Laws:
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-mirrors/

Can anyone interpret the phrase "... located as to reflect to the driver a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet"?Does that mean you can see objects 200' and further from the trailer bumper or 200' and closer? If closer, how close? What is meant by the 200' reference. Almost any side mirror could see to the horizon so does it mean 200' to the horizon?

Charlie, we need Perry Mason!!!

Let me give you this disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor have I been admitted to the Bar in the State of Indiana, or any other State. As such, I may not give "legal advice".

That said, IMHO, your second "or 200' and closer?" is more correct. I interpret it to say that me must be able to see (or capable of seeing) a minimum of 200 feet behind us. If we can see more than 200 feet, that is great. However, we all know there is always a certain amount of "blind spot" immediately behind the trailer - even with the big rig semi trucks, with the big/wide mirrors.

In the "practical world" I think this would require two OUTSIDE rearview mirrors. With just an INSIDE mirror, about all we see is the trailer behind us. With just one (outside), as is with my old Chevy, well....that's where things might get a little fuzzy. Again, we need Perry Mason!   
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by ronahue

Can anyone interpret the phrase
"...
located as to reflect to the driver a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet"?

Does that mean you can see objects 200' and further from the trailer bumper or 200' and closer? If closer, how close? What is meant by the 200' reference. Almost any side mirror could see to the horizon so does it mean 200' to the horizon?

Charlie
Northern Colorado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

...Why would you buy a two way refrig when RPOD has a three way!  ...

This is one thing I wouldn't call an advantage.  12 volt mode is useless in many cases because the charge line wiring on the TV is usually 12 gauge, and I've posted the numbers showing this will cause the pod's battery to discharge, then the fridge will quit and your food will warm up.  Start off with a discharged pod battery after a weekend off-grid and you've lost the battle before you start.

Larger camper fridges only have 120 and LP modes.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 5:49pm
Very Helpful !!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 5:10pm

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 2:52pm
I did not know there were mirror laws.  I was automatically going to get them but then I found out there were no aftermarket ones designed for a Jeep.  So the only ones available are generic strap ons which all have negative reviews that they slip off.  So I thought I would be ok and not need them with the narrower RPOD.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 1:58pm
You should check the states that you want to visit, quite a few require mirror extenders. A lot of the mirror laws are weird. In Vermont you would need mirror extenders it you vehicle mirror does not measure at least 5 1/2 inches in diameter.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>