R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAir conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air conditioner
    Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Finally, many people have complained about the sound level coming from the A/C.  I agree, its very loud.  Some possible options have been discussed, including adding sound baffling inside (used by car stereo installers), opening up the ducts, or adding a motor controller so the fan can be turned down somewhat (which would void any warranty and might allow the compressor to freeze up).  If you find a good solution to this problem, please post it.

I had one of the early models in my RP173.  The fan would only come on with the compressor and it seemed very loud to me.  I kind of thought most of the noise was from the compressor and wondered how it is "insulated" from the Pod roof - kind of like the situation with noisy water pumps. ???
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:53pm
I've decided that eventually I'm going to replace mine.  Several times this week I've turned the fan from "on" to "auto" after waking up (we leave it "on" all night so we don't wake up every time it turns on) and water poured from the ceiling.  Never had that problem with the Coleman A/C on our popup.  Heck, maybe I should switch them since I still have the popup?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 5:29am
Originally posted by techntrek

I've decided that eventually I'm going to replace mine.  Several times this week I've turned the fan from "on" to "auto" after waking up (we leave it "on" all night so we don't wake up every time it turns on) and water poured from the ceiling.  Never had that problem with the Coleman A/C on our popup.  Heck, maybe I should switch them since I still have the popup?

Prior to trading, I was thinking along those lines.  I was looking at the Coleman Polar Cub.  It has fewer BTUs but, still more than enough for the Pod, I would think.  With fewer amps needed, it might even run off of one Honda 2000 generator (w/o the hard start mod).

I'm thinking they all use a standard opening size (but not certain).  The most difficult part would be wrestling the the units around on a curved smooth roof.  As you have found just by trying to wash up there....ain't a lot of room to work (safely).

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 9:55am
Of course the AC is loud.  You have a thru-the-ceiling/non-vented unit in something that's less than 20-foot.  It's going to be loud.  Anyone that doesn't think it is loud has a hearing problem.  I saying that seriously, not as a joke or insult.  It the unit was larger it wouldn't be quite as loud, but would still be load.  You have to get a vented AC system to get the noise down in an AC system.  Obviously, you'll never see a vented unit of the R-Pod due to the size, so it's something you'll have to get used to.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 6:47pm
Standing directly under my two A/C units, the one in the 'pod is much louder.  It also doesn't feel like its pushing as much air as my Coleman A/C.  If I wasn't seriously considering replacing my A/C with a mini-split I probably would swap the two.
pentachris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Of course the AC is loud.  You have a thru-the-ceiling/non-vented unit in something that's less than 20-foot.  It's going to be loud.  Anyone that doesn't think it is loud has a hearing problem.  I saying that seriously, not as a joke or insult.  It the unit was larger it wouldn't be quite as loud, but would still be load.  You have to get a vented AC system to get the noise down in an AC system.  Obviously, you'll never see a vented unit of the R-Pod due to the size, so it's something you'll have to get used to.

This.

Get used to the noise, get used to the heat, or camp in cooler locations or seasons.
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 10:28pm
It's loud, but once it's on auto and it cools the pod down it doesn't come on that much during the night

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 1:00am
Techntrek, I, too, have owned both Dometic and Coleman air conditioners and found the Coleman to be a better unit. My Dometics were both very loud compared to my Coleman. Our RP 175 didn't come with air. When we decide to travel again to areas of the country that are hotter than the Northwest, I'm going to have a small Coleman (Penguin, I think they're called) installed. They put out fewer BTUs than the Dometic, but should be plenty large enough for the Pod. Also, they draw fewer amps , so at least in some low altitudes I hope to be able to run it with my Yamaha 2000 generator.  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 10:37am
I think that's a good idea, Kickstart.  The one that comes with the 'pod is oversized, both because of the extra insulation it has and the small air space.  That is one reason I would go with a 9000 btu mini-split (and the mini-split is whisper quiet on its lower settings).  I found a thread that compares the Dometic Penguin with the Coleman Polar Cub, which looks like is also a 9000 btu unit.

Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 1:03pm
Techntrek, thanks for the info, and I did have the name wrong. It is the Polar Cub I'll be looking to buy-probably next spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>