R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery disconnect, and when to recharge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery disconnect, and when to recharge
    Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 9:37pm

A common problem for many new RV owners is often they don't know they should disconnect the battery between trips.  Or how often to charge the battery.

Several things inside the modern RV use electricity even when they are "off".  The fridge electronics are still active, the propane detector is always on.  A week or two with the battery connected and it will be dead.  Some people install a disconnect switch on the battery box, others use plugs or fuses, so that it can be easily disconnected (and later reconnected) between trips.  Hopefully some of those podmods can be reposted here.

By themselves lead acid batteries discharge internally - fairly quickly when its hot out, and less so when its cold.  During the summer months, even if the battery has been left disconnected it will require a full night's recharge at least once per month.  During the winter it can be left in a cold garage or cool basement (or even left on the 'pods tongue) without a recharge - but if you can get to it once or twice its not a bad idea.  If you don't have a good 3-stage charger in your garage just plug the 'pod in overnight, it has a good built-in 3-stage charger.  Just don't forget to reconnect the battery first!  Big smile

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Rollerpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 10:01pm
Good advice, as I'll be going out and buying a new battery soon.  Ours is dead.  I'll be disconnecting it from now on between trips.  
R-Pod 172
2004 Toyota Sienna XLE
San Antonio, TX
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 11:51pm
Welcome to the R-Pod Owners Forum Rollerpod!Smile  I have my Pod in a storage area in the 55+ community I live in.  The storage area is a fenced in area with a locked gate.  Nobody can take the Pod but it would be easy to take the battery and get out of there.  So I take the battery out and put it inside of the Pod.  With the wing nuts on the battery that is real easy and simple to do.

So far I have been taking the camper out once a month so no problem with the battery going dead.  Because of where I live I can continue doing that all winter!!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Phil H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 6:40pm
In the few weeks we had ours this fall, I left the trailer plugged into the house figuring the built in charger would keep the battery charged up - is there anything wrong with doing this?

Now that the trailer is in the back yard under its cover, I've taken the battery out, put it in the basement on a piece of wood and hooked up a "Battery Tender Jr" smart charger.

I was thinking that maybe next season, when the trailer is in the driveway between trips, instead of plugging in the whole trailer, I'd just plug in the battery tender - any thoughts?

Phil

whoo hoo my first post on the new site!
2010 R-pod 171
2007 Ford Escape
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 10:25pm
The 'pods have good 3-stage chargers, so there shouldn't be any problem leaving the pod plugged in all the time.  However, with so many things always drawing some power (the converter, the fridge controls, TV, microwave) all the time, you would save a lot of power if you just used your battery tender.  Or plugged the 'pod in overnight once a month.
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 4:48pm
I really need to pay more attention to these kind of posts!! Lol. I didnt know, wasn't told, to disconnect the battery. Should have been common sense, but it happened. It definitely drained down over the week and a half.
We want to add a disconnect, but don't know a lot about them. We are having the storage place add a dul propane set and a dual deep charge battery so we can go anywhere. This will be done next spring so my question is this...can you reccomend a good disconnect as well as battery type for us?
We want to be able to travel out west. This will place a greater need on battery usuage as well as lp consumption obviously. As always, your advice is welcome and appreciated!!
Thanks!
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:30pm
If you are doing two new batteries from scratch, go with 2 EGC-2 six volts. More bang for the buck, amp hours wise. We use a keyed marine disconnect.

BTW, we leave our pod plugged in at home, we have full hook-ups. In 3 years, we have never had a battery problem, nor have I needed to add water. I check every couple of months.
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 9:02pm
Thanks for the info! We will be starting fron scratch and I will go that route!
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 9:29pm
I went with a waterproof 12 volt fuse for a disconnect.
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 7:38am
We probably err on the more aggressive side.  I had a group 27 GSM battery installed when we took delivery.  They are sealed and do not require additional water.  Since our Pod is next to the house I also had a 30 amp connector added to the side of the garage.  When we return from a trip and over the winter months, the Pod is connected and the internal charger does what it needs to do.  I do winterize and cover the pod for the winter, but I also keep a ceramic heater to maintain an internal temp of 50 degrees.  I agree that this is overkill, but it allows me some comfort during the winter months.  Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>