R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric questions
    Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 7:36pm
We are new to the travel trailer world and have a 2016 182. We mostly plan on going to camp sites with electric, but hope to do some boondocking next spring. I understand the basics of propane and the difference between AC- DC. I understand that it would take a larger generator to run the AC than we care to buy at this point in our journey. But I do have some questions about the battery and charge. If we put the fridge on propane, and everything else on battery, we will basically just have lights and the Jensen radio pulling power I think. If I leave the car hooked up to our 7 pin and running for a couple hours here or there, would that be sufficient to keep the battery charged? I also have a 12 volt battery jumper/air compressor that I use on the boat or car when the battery gets low. If I hook this up to the Rv battery( not while the car is hooked up) , will it act as a second battery? Sort of like having two batteries?
 And my final question is about using a 1500 watt inverter. It is meant to be hooked to the car while running and has three 110 plugs to run small things like tv or computers. I originally bought it as a back up in case our power went out during a hurricane. A poor mans generator, I guess.  Can I hook this inverter to the Rv battery while the Rv is hooked up to the 7 pin and getting some sort of charge? Or does it need to be hooked up directly to the car battery? Thanks for any help in understanding how these systems interact.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 8:10pm
If you are going to use the tow vehicle as a "generator", use jumper cables and not the 7 pin.

A 1500watt inverter is pretty large, a smaller one would be better. The danger/issue with a 1500watt inverter on a single or even dual batteries @ 12v is it has the ability to pull a butt load of amps, more then a 12v lead acid system can sustain for any length of time. A 150watt inverter would run the loads you are asking about.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 8:16pm
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Beachguysc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 6:40am
Thanks for the education. Glad to have this forum to learn things before I fry my system. 
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 9:14am
I agree with the above comments. A 1500W inverter is way overkill and very difficult to deal with at 12V. On thinking about it I would not connect it to either battery when the seven pin is connected. The reason is the 1500W inverter can draw huge currents  from the TV and TT batteries if the seven pin Bargman is connected and the typical TV wiring is only #10 or #12 wire. Those currents can fry that wire. Stay with 200W or less and connect directly to the TT battery.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
richtruesdale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 9:44pm
Question about the A/C
we just bought a 2014 17 something...(I don't remember) but we LOVE it.

My question...I had it plugged in to a normal recep, ya know the standard 3 prong using an adapter.
my A/C kept going on and off every 30 seconds.

I figured that wasn't normal so turned it off.

Do I really need to install a 30 breaker and recep.  dedicated for the camper? for that not to happen.
or is something wrong with the A/C
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by richtruesdale

Question about the A/C
we just bought a 2014 17 something...(I don't remember) but we LOVE it.

My question...I had it plugged in to a normal recep, ya know the standard 3 prong using an adapter.
my A/C kept going on and off every 30 seconds.

I figured that wasn't normal so turned it off.

Do I really need to install a 30 breaker and recep.  dedicated for the camper? for that not to happen.
or is something wrong with the A/C

If the breaker for the receptacle was flipped, the AC would not be able to turn itself back on, so that may not be the problem.  Something might be wrong with the AC itself or your thermostat and would have a dealer check it out.

And yes, if you want to run the AC on a normal basis, you need at least a 20 amp receptacle, and a 30 amp is better.  Unless you're quite handy with electrical work, you'll need an electrician to do it for you.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 1:19am
+1 on the posts to the original poster.  As for richtrusdale, I agree that isn't normal but not an issue with your supply.  You can run the pod's A/C on a 15 amp receptacle if there is nothing else on that circuit and you don't run anything else in the pod (lights are ok).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jazz trumpet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:37am
Thanks Doug. Good to know I could run the AC on a 110v. 15 amp. If ever needed.

So that means my 2000W small camping generator can be used on dry camping trips at night withoutdamaging the AC?
       John and Marilyn
2016 Rpod 180
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Jazz trumpet

Thanks Doug. Good to know I could run the AC on a 110v. 15 amp. If ever needed.

So that means my 2000W small camping generator can be used on dry camping trips at night withoutdamaging the AC?

Possibly, but probably not. Which generator is it? If it's 2000 PEAK or surge, sketchy at best. If it's 2000 steady load, then most probably. (but still maybe not)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>