R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric questions
    Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 11:31am
Thanks fur pods. I'll be safe.
       John and Marilyn
2016 Rpod 180
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by techntrek

+1 on the posts to the original poster.  As for richtrusdale, I agree that isn't normal but not an issue with your supply.  You can run the pod's A/C on a 15 amp receptacle if there is nothing else on that circuit and you don't run anything else in the pod (lights are ok).

I tried running our Pod's AC, and nothing else, on a 15 amp circuit at our home, and nearly every time the compressor started, it flipped the breaker.  When you can successfully run it or not, it's definitely borderline with only a 15 amp circuit.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 12:12am
Could be a weak breaker.  Also 2 different sizes of A/C have been used so yours may be larger and so on the edge especially if it is hot out.

2000 watt generator - take it to a higher altitude when it is 95 degrees out and it will loose a lot of its rated output.  Plus the A/C will be harder to start because of the heat.  Might work fine in your driveway at 70 F and 500 feet, but 5000 feet and 100+ (which we experienced on our current trip) and 2000 watts peak output won't cut it.  This is one reason I upgraded to our current Honda which is rated 3000 watts peak.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

+1 on the posts to the original poster.  As for richtrusdale, I agree that isn't normal but not an issue with your supply.  You can run the pod's A/C on a 15 amp receptacle if there is nothing else on that circuit and you don't run anything else in the pod (lights are ok).

I tried running our Pod's AC, and nothing else, on a 15 amp circuit at our home, and nearly every time the compressor started, it flipped the breaker.  When you can successfully run it or not, it's definitely borderline with only a 15 amp circuit.

My 2016 Rpod 171 has a 20 amp circuit-breaker on the air conditioner circuit. That leads one to believe there may occasionally be currents in excess of 15 amps, but less than 20 amps. So a 15 amp shore power circuit would be marginal at best. Your experience bears this out.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
richtruesdale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 5:21am
Thank you everyone for your input. My fingers are crossed that I just need to provide more amps. I'm going to install a 30amp breaker and run some 10/2.

Wish me luck...if this doesn't take care of it I'll be back with more questions.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by WillThrill

Nothing else on.. is a little hard to achieve.. The charger converter can draw 6-7A when it needs/wants. Most who turn everything off don't turn it off.. More then one owner has found that throwing that breaker fixes the problem..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 3:42pm
well today I finished installing a 30amp service dedicated for the camper.
A/C works like a champ
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:51pm
Pics or it didn't happen.  Tongue

It does make things easier when you get home from a camping trip and want to plug in quickly, or when you are ready to pre-cool the fridge and load up for a trip when it is 95 outside (so you can turn on the A/C).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:00pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 6:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>