R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization
    Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 7:53pm

Last edited 11/15/2011.  Re-ordered some steps and cleaned it up.

1) Make sure the black and gray waste water tanks are empty.

2) Outside and underneath the trailer, unscrew your fresh water tank's drain and allow it to empty.

3) Turn on the water pump and open a valve to suck up any remaining water in the line between the tank and the pump.
4) Open both low-point drains underneath the camper.
5) Attach a "blow-out plug" to the city water connection. This has an air inlet on one end like the valve stems on your tires, and threads to attach to the water connection. Apply LOW pressure air (less than 20 psi) for several seconds. Any RV dealer should have one of these plugs.
6) Remove the blow-out plug.
7) Outside, remove the plug on the hot water heater to check the anode rod and replace if necessary (about every two years). The water heater must be stored dry - do not try to fill it with antifreeze. Wait for the water to stop running out of the drains and plug hole.  Using a garden hose, flush any debris from inside the water heater tank.  If you don't need to inspect your anode rod you can pull open the pressure relief valve at the top of the heater to speed up the draining process, it will still take a while.  While the tank is draining go inside and open up every valve so suction will pull water out of every line and faucet.
8) Wrap the threads of the anode rod with Teflon tape, re-insert the plug and close both low-point drains.

9) Re-insert the fresh water tank plug while you are outside.

10) Turn the bypass valves on the hot water heater. The valves are inside the trailer - mine are under the bed on the road side.
11) On the intake line for the water pump, you'll notice a valve and about 2 1/2' of tubing that's loose on one end. Flip the valve and put the loose end into your jug of RV antifreeze (DO NOT USE AUTO ANTIFREEZE). The pump will now draw from the jug of antifreeze instead of your fresh water tank.
12) Turn on the switch for the water pump for a few seconds, then turn it off.  Your low-point drains should still be open, go outside and verify they are dripping pink.  You may need to cycle the pump a few more seconds to be sure.  Then close both low-point drains.
13) Turn on the taps at the sink and in the shower, one at a time. Let each run until the water is pink.
14) Run the toilet until the water is pink.  Leave some pink stuff in the bottom of the toilet to keep the drain valve from drying out over the winter.
15) Pull the hose out of the antifreeze bottle just enough so it can't suck up any more antifreeze. Turn on the sink again for a second or two until the antifreeze is out of the intake line. This keeps the sticky antifreeze from running all over the floor when you pull the intake completely out of the bottle.
16) Close the valve near the water pump, stow the intake hose and close the access panel, turn off the power for the water pump.

17) Pour some RV antifreeze down the shower and sink drains.

18) Set the fridge's door latch so it stays open - look at the assembly on the wall of the fridge, you can slide it out some so when the door is latched it stays open enough to prevent mold from growing.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 8:51am
Thank you for this "how to", easy to get to.
Before getting on the road at the end of my last trip, I emptied the holding tanks, black and grey, Then added 3 flushings of water and blue AND at least a half bag of ice.  As it sets in my yard, I note there is 2/3 full. NOW , suggestions on what to do with that liquid (will it need to be taken somewhere and dumped before temps in the 30's, or is is ok as is) I am leaving, without the Escape Pod, for Texas in 4 days, we may get weather to wonder about while gone, but back to balmy for weeks.
I plan to try some camping near by that has no hookups in November. Having propane for most of the emenities is pretty nice. I take it that having it "winterized" as stated above will be ok since I won't need to use any of the "water" . What may seem logical to me, without the experience, may not be correct. Glad for this forum , may times over.
To the point here, if ANY liquid is in ANY of the tanks, there is danger of freezing? OR if I am putting the pink into system, flusing it into the tank that has water, melted ice and Blue, will that keep it OK?
If this keeps ok, is it the best idea when I go out in November, to dump.  Then what  have I dumped out that might need to be in there, do I do some additional things. 
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 8:55am
To add to my last post. I plan to Winterized it before I leave for Texas, if the Pink is in the tank with blue and water, will that hold it from freezing?
And to ask again, if I get out with it in Nov, and dump, would there be any additional things to do in the lines?
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 11:13am
Originally posted by mountain mist

if the Pink is in the tank with blue and water, will that hold it from freezing?

RV antifreeze does not dilute well.  Your tanks will freeze.

And to ask again, if I get out with it in Nov, and dump, would there be any additional things to do in the lines?

Pour some antifreeze down the toilet and down the sink so that your knife valves are protected.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 1:27pm
I agree with Outbound.  If there is a concern at all about freezing, go ahead and dump your tanks.  I am sure you know there is a dump station at GSMNP Sugarlands Visitor Center.  Wink

It seems odd that your monitor would show 2/3 full, based on what you say.  I've never done the "ice thing"...I've always just added 2-3 gallons of water with the blue stuff (and much prefer the liquid over the powder).  Have a nice trip to TX!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm
well, I did not see it myself, the husband did. Unless I DID NOT get all out of the tanks when I dumped , then added 3 full flushes of toilet, plus 1/2/3/4 bag of ice. hmmmmmmmmm.
I do know there is dump at Sugarlands, that is where I will go after a stay in Elkmont in November.
I think I was trying to confirm my unease at leaving canned goods in Pod. I know one year I left a pack of tt in a closet and WOW, mouse nest, inflated by many times! Any pot holders with stuffing too.
Guess my dry goods have to come out too.  Really getting lazy here.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 11:47pm
I agree, dump the tanks.  The little bit of water left in them after dumping isn't a problem.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 10:55am
We just completed our second annual winterization this weekend. Very sad Cry. My question is I did everything above and am sure that the water tank is drained, but I didn't use a blow out plug and I didn't see pink (or any) water come out when I pressed the pin in on the city water connection. Even if there is a little bit left in the tank, will I be OK, or do I have to take a wet/dry vac to it?

Also- word of caution. Remember how you leave the bypass valves when you head out in the spring. We forgot that we left it on bypass and burned out the electric heating element by turning on the hot water on our first trip.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 12:20pm
The little bit left in all of the tanks is ok, even the water tank.  You probably have less than 1/4 gallon in there and 30 gallons of room for expansion when it freezes.

Was your water system pressurized (pump on) when you pressed on the city water connection pin?  It may have a drainback preventer/valve on it (I know my popup did) so even if the rest of the system was pressurized you might not see any pink come backwards.  That is why I recommend using the blowout plug so you push any water in that little section of hose into the rest of the water system instead of trying to get any pink stuff to come out.  If you have easy access to the inside of your 'pod where the city connection is, you could look to see if its possible to temporarily disconnect that section of hose and drain it that way.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 12:35pm

Thanks, Doug- no I didn't have the pump on when I pressed the pin. Thanks. That makes sense. I'm sure it will probably be OK, but I think I will invest in the blowout plug to finish the job correctly this weekend- the extra step is worth not losing any sleep over!

John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>