R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization
    Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 9:16pm
Time for one of these, http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pump-Converter-Winterizing/dp/B0006JJ588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350781920&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+winterize+kit

As the reviews say on my other trailers in the past I added extra hose.
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 11:06pm
I have a 2011 RP-172 and it has a short hose coming from the intake side of the water pump under the sink with a shut off valve to it so you can introduce antifreeze to the water system. Please tell me that Forest River is not stooping to cutting out the hose and valve to save $2.73 per unit to improve the bottom line. I hope this Company is not dropping their standards, Forest River I understand has always enjoyed a high level of Customer Satisfaction.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 8:21pm

As I just mentioned on another thread, removing the intake hose is an awful idea.  All campers must be winterized.

Mountain Mist, welcome back.  I have mine up for sale but I don't have pics.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:42pm
tech.... who is Doug with the For Sale '10 171 pix's . is that you?
why are you selling? I have been so discouraged with not being able to camp that I have voiced the idea of selling, just an expensive item sitting. Finally going on Haloween only to see long range weather on Nov.1 is calling for some snow and the nite temps have gone from mid to upper 40's to upper 20's! I have posted a question about possibilities of going without water (will be without hookups), draining the fresh water tank, take lots of bottle water, be sure facuets are drained, heater on all night hopefully would keep anything from freezing. what do you think and any other suggestions?
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 9:47pm

Sounds like you are seeing my pic in my signature.  I don't have any pics in my for sale listing here.  We love our pod but there are several things we need to find solutions for, unfortunately a mod would only fix one of them.

Our kids are getting bigger.  We thought they could share the dinette until they were done with camping but the complaints about X being on Y's side of the bed have been non-stop.  I've considered adding a temporary bunk above the dinette.  Wouldn't be too hard and would solve the problem.

I'm tired of climbing over my wife when I get out of bed in the middle of the night.  This might be tolerable if we had the 177, I could climb out at her feet, but no easy solution for this in the 171.  We put a step stool on the floor every night which helps a lot, but it is still a pain.  A walk-around queen would solve this and you don't need to go much larger to get one.

A dry bath would be great.  I could live with the wet bath if this was my only complaint.  It isn't a huge issue, but moving to a slightly larger trailer will solve this too.

I've hated the noise of the A/C in the pod since day 1.  I have a long thread here discussing alternatives but I'd rather not have to.

I responded to your questions about winter camping in another thread, bottom line, it isn't a big problem but you might have to winterize depending on how long the temps will be below freezing.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 9:57pm
Well   ...we're one for two ! We have a 2012 model 177 HRE, made in Oregon. We do have the black water flush receptacle but we have (or had) no winterization/antifreeze valve.

The whole process sounds like king of hit and miss to me.

Fortunately, the installation of an "L" valve kit is relatively easy - - all except for the fact that the pump is UNDER the bed !!

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:59pm
the 171 is pretty small for 4 people! some of the slide outs might make it better. I camp alone, now with 2 dogs.
I, too, hate to crawl out over someone, feel hemmed in too! I have taken the table out and stored it and made pretty slipcover for bench seats, fixed a seat between them against the wall, sort of a C shape and comfortable pillows. I did not need a table, was uncomfortable to sit at one or sit in the bed when inside, so having a small seating area works. just unfold a tray table for meal.
Health issues kept me from camping this year, only one time early Spring. Hope I do well end of month , will help me decide if I will keep it. Company for a lot of the time kept me from going too and a new puppy has me hoping I can handle both dogs!
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 5:51pm
Since I posted on the 22nd about it being in the upper 20's at nite, the weather has done another switch-a-roo..... Now going to be back in the mid 40's at night. Yey. of course I am not going out until 30th so it can change 2 more times in these mountains or the weather people were having us on!LOLTongue
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 6:33pm
I was planning on emptying the tanks, opening the low point drain, blowing out the city water line, draining the heater and putting a small heater in the pod.  Will this be enough or do I still need the antifreeze.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 7:08pm
That depends on how cold it gets where you are.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>