R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization
    Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 6:06pm
I keep the Pod plugged in all season before it is Winterized. And I keep the airconditioner on at the setting I have in the house. Have not had any moldy'mildewy smell or any sight of any. I have not kept it hooked up in Winter, pretty dry most of the time, I keep a check on it weekly. Cleaned it well before closing it up, Frig. open with baking soda, sometimes crack (very small) the vent . Gets so cold in there that I dare a mold grow! I bought the Damp Rid did not have to use it last Winter. But will keep a "nose" on it. With the ac on it keeps it cool and dryer in Season.
I have "pro and coned" the question of covering it. The advice here is pretty much split. I know from car experience that a cover is not good. But this was a car in a carport, not garage where I would not have needed one anyhow. It ended up with "chill bumps", pimples and had to be repainted! Just got too humid under there. Costly way to find out for sure.  I know some of the weather in the North just about calls for protection of the investment. But may be cold enough not to build up heat under the hood and cause problems. I still plan to get a coat of wax on it before Winter sets in, some protection. Leaves are just about gone, those do stain if not looked after. That big white roof is a target for birds, but I take a hose to it when the weather allows.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 8:38pm
I remember several years ago when we had a 25 ft Bayliner  aft cabin they sold a device that was plugged into 120 and layed in the engine compartment, I think it was like a block heater that created low level heat, would not get hot enought to cause a problem, but would keep moisture at bay. We have our pod plugged into a GFCI next to an outbuilding, I plan on covering it with a factory pod cover, ouch expensive but fits perfect. This will be my first winter in our pod, any one have problems with mildew with a factory pod cover, they claim it breathes ?
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 9:56am

Welcome, Tripod girls!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tripod girls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 10:36am
Originally posted by techntrek

Welcome, Tripod girls!

Thanks techntrek!...have been on here for awhile..just realized I may not have posted..thought I did but I go back and forth between this forum and the "other" one.Wink  It was by chance I found the owners forum..in the beginning of summer the nation site had updates or something going on and when searching for it, the owners forum came up.  So its all good!
3PsNRPod
171 RPod 2011
2003 Honda Pilot
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 5:38pm
**Attention 177 Owners*** I'm winterizing and I got to the step to draw the anti-freeze out of the jug though I do not see any loose tubing by the water pump???  Am I looking in the right location or is it possible FR goofed and did not leave the tube to draw the anti-freeze??  Thanks for your quick attention as I want to finish this project.

Craig
801-450-9404
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 5:44pm
My 177 is a 2011 model.  My pump is located under the sink behinc a panel held in place by four screws.  A foprum member with a 2012 177 has his pump under the bed and his came without the valve and hose.  If yours is not under the sink then it may not have the hose/valve to do the winterizing.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 6:17pm
Have not been on here all year. Who has/had the 2010 171 for sale and the pix runs thru several pages?

Time for that Winterizing again and I just about fall off the turnip truck each time remembering how to do it.
One got to camp once this year(2012), drats, one thing or another keep me from it, begin to think if it keeps up I may have to sell mine too. to much to have around not using.
Did have 2 teenage girls stay in it here at the house, had powder for ac, lights. but no water. they loved having a private place of their own.
have a trip planned out on Haloween, with one old dog(13) and one new dog (6months). Hope I can deal with both. will not have hookups, but I carry water, do washing up and take water to sink in campground, don't use bathroom except to hang clothes. Having propane for heating and cooking great and have a lot of tensor lights and batteries, car charge my Kindle in car, what more do I need. Just need the time away to see if I am going to keep the rig.
I don't know what they are worth at this point , have not  checked, why I asked about the 171 that was for sale.
My pump is under the bed, hard to get to under that mattress, but with help on the forum someone told me how to rig boards up to prop the mattress up and it works like a charm. have hose intake for antifreeze at that site.
Weather here does not look really cold for the next few  weeks, so I am going to do a run and see if I want to extend my stay at Elkmont.
Hope others have done lots of camping to make up for what I have not been able to get to.
Happy camping all
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 7:26pm
Thanks, just found out the 2012's do not have the bypass valve.  Aaaarg!  Will need to go to Home Depot tomorrow to jimmy something up.  Thanks for the quick reply.
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
Bill Ky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 7:32pm
Follow the pumping, start above where your fresh water tank is, there has to be a hiding spot somewhere near the fresh water would be my guess. The pod isn't that big for it to hide long. Smile In our 175 the water pump is under the bed and the siphon tube and valve are under the slide.

Originally posted by Bill Ky

Did you get a little anti freeze out of the city water supply inlet, to clear the water from there? Do not attempt it with pressure on the system. Shut the pump off and and open a faucet, then remove the screen for the inlet and push the tip on the check valve and hold it till you see some antifreeze.

Here is a diagram just imagine your siphon tube for antifreeze being between the fresh water tank and the water pump.

Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 8:51pm
 Well, I'll be hornswoggled.  (Always wanted to say that.)  Just checked our 2013 171 and no extra piping to get any antifreeze in system.  Now what?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>