R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization
    Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 11:11pm
We used dryer sheets to keep spiders out of our sailboat cabin too. Seemed to make a difference.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 8:17am
Be careful and research this before you get crazy with the dryer sheets.  It's like the old "cover or don't cover the camper" debate.  Many arguments for each option.  Some say the Bounce kept the rodents away and other have said the rodents used them for building nest in their trailer.  You'll hear people mention dryer sheets and mothballs as the bid two items to use.  For me, I've used a product called Fresh Cab for the last several years.  Not one problem and the camper smells good when you open up for the new season.  I am no way affiliated with the company or product.  I'm just a satisfied customer/user.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 1:17pm
Aris - If you are going to keep it on bypass you should get a hose and funnel and flush out the remaining water with RV antifreeze through the anode opening. Its in the alcohol family so it will prevent anything from growing in there.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 1:42pm
We have had luck with the dryer sheet deal. Some do some don't. Many satisfied users of the 'Fresh Cab" product on AirForums too. We had a snake in the 'stream last year.. not sure just how he got in, never saw him, just a big shed in the spring.. but we had NO rodent evidence... not sure if everyone is up to the trade off..
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 2:58pm
The anode rod is made of zinc.  If the water is acidic, it erodes/oxides some of the zinc from the rod producing zinc oxide.  The oxide can settle on the bottom of the tank forming a soft white slimy material.  That material can then be swept up the pipes and start to clog the holes in the faucet aerators.  I had to unscrew my Pod's faucet aerators and flush them out.  They were nearly clogged.
That is why it is recommended that you use a heater flush rod.  It fits on the end of a garden hose and is a narrow tube with a curve at the end.  After removing the anode rod, insert the flush tube, and rotate the tube as you flush out the heater tank.  Make sure that you adequately flush out the lower part of the tank...this is where the slime usually collects.  Flushing the tank will save you the trouble of cleaning the faucet aerators later.
Aris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 2:10pm
Thank you Doug and Charles.
Aris, Baltimore, MD
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 8:41am
Just read FurPod with the snake shed in their rv. Did not have to worry about mice with that "guest" there. Sounds as if it overwintered fat and ready to leave its too tight skin!
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 2:27pm
Bump.  Made some edits to the list, cleaned it up.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 2:48pm
mountain mist, we're going to be over in eastern PA for Thursday thru Saturday of Thanksgiving. We'll let everyone know how it goes. The Park, French Creek is the closest state park in PA or NJ that is open year round. For early winter snow, see my post in the miscellaneous/off topic thread "with a heavy heart".
The first thing I did last year when we got the pod was to run a 10ga 30amp line to the corner of the garage closest to the pod parking place. We keep the pod plugged in when it is home, and run the shower fan to help keep the inside fresh. We covered it last winter with the camo cover, but ended up quite moldy by spring. We are going to get some big buckets of DampRid this winter to seeif we can prevent that.   
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Tripod girls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 5:17pm
I have our pod plugged in for the winter also...bought a small ceramic heater-put on low-and cracked a bedroom window with the bath vent open.  I have it covered so am hoping to have some circulation going on in there.  I am hoping that with the heater the pod will not become moldy/mildewy...for the northwest we are in a cold snap right now with the daily temps in mid 40's and last night 26!...but I know that rain is acoming!   Thanks for all the winterization tips on this thread..had mine done by dealer but was able to follow him around with the list.  And as I re-read back through the "terms" I actually get some of it!Wink
3PsNRPod
171 RPod 2011
2003 Honda Pilot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>