R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization
    Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:23pm
As Elaine would say, GET OUT!  (Seinfeld)  That would be great, I'm making a note to check on that tonight.  I always leave it wide open when its parked but I often forget to go in and close it before I hook up and move it to my driveway to pack.  I expected it would get a little banged up eventually.  This would solve that problem.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
HerbL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:46pm
I guess I'm just lazy, but when we get the Pod home, I always plug it in to a 20 amp circuit to keep the battery charged and the lights, etc. usable.  This winter I am planning on just leaving the Pod plugged in with the battery installed. I figure our truck battery does not freeze, so why should the Pod battery have a problem if the Pod is plugged in to household current?
We just covered it with the Pod cover today and had no problems getting it on and fastening with bungee cords.
If anyone thinks leaving the Pod plugged in this winter with the battery installed is a bad idea, please let me know.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Let me know if you see anything else that needs a tweak.

Doug, how about adding: 4a) Using a garden hose, flush any debris from inside the water heater tank

I also suggest that the threads on the anode plug be wrapped with teflon tape before re-inserting in step 5.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 5:06pm
I found the latch adjustment last night on the fridge, works great.  It does indeed keep the fridge door from closing about a quarter inch - perfect for between trips and over the winter to keep the nasty smell and mold from growing.

I'll add that and Outbound's 4a to the list.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:41pm
StarWhile I have found the latch, I usually leave the door totally open, and put the little ice tray in the "jaws" of the freezer to keep it proped open. And have the box of soda open in all.

Can't decide wheather to leave the Pod hooked up to the house (can't draw that much) or pull the battery and put in the  somewhat heated garage. Probably will pull propane tank and to garage.
LOLGetting the tire covers this week and maybe put the wheels up on the little flat risers.
It has been "pinked" , cans out of storage, pot holders that mice LOVE to tear up for nest, t.t. too.
Can't do anything about the matress, hope they don't decide they LOVE that too! I have used a whole box of Bounce sheets through out, the smell alone would drive me out, may turn out I am supplying mice with shredding material
Will not be getting out to experiment camping without unhitching. Just other things have gotten in the way and its getting into the November rainy season here.  Time to break out the cider and cookies and light a match to the wood for a crackling fire.  Tis the season.

Have a scrumpious Thanksgiving.
Would love to hear from those that are Podding for Thanksgiving. Might try sometime.

Escape Pod
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:52pm
I'm no expert, but regarding the battery, I would think it would be OK if the Pod was left plugged in - always maintaining charge on the battery.  A fully charged lead/acid battery will not freeze until -70 to -90F.  I HOPE it doesn't get that cold this winter.  If I were to do so, I would turn off all un-needed circuit breakers ( like the water heater, AC, etc.).  Just make sure to leave the circuit breaker that powers the power supply on.

On a related note, if you have not drilled drain holes in the bottom of your black battery box, I think it a good idea to do so.  They will retain water that gets in thru the openings - like the vent holes on the lid.  I put one 3/8" hole near each corner, on mine.  I kind of forgot to do it to the new camper, this last Spring Embarrassed.  When I did remember (along about late June) the box was nearly full of water.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 7:42am
Originally posted by HerbL

This winter I am planning on just leaving the Pod plugged in with the battery installed.

I too thought about leaving my batteries installed with the charger on this winter - right after I pulled the batteries and put them in the garage. Duh. (Slaps forehead)

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 10:59am
Thanks to all the posts on winterizing I have my pod all winterized for a cold winter in Northern Wisconsin.  What about the undercounter tv/dvd player?  It is an LCD screen and I have read that they can freeze up in zero to below zero weather.  We get temps in the -20 F range and long spells under zero.  Do any of you who have the tv/dvd player in your rpod and live in the north country remove them and bring them inside for the winter?  The manual has no directions relative to the storage requirements as many other tvs do.

Thanks

Dave
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 12:09pm
I store my Pod here in central MN in an unheated machine shed.  Last winter the temp dropped to well below 0 F.  The LCD/DVD unit worked fine this spring/summer.  The screen looked fine this spring when I tried it out again.  I did not touch the unit at all during the winter...I did not try to swing the screen down, nor try to run the DVD player.  I suspect that you could do damage to the unit if the screen and or electronics were frozen and you tried to pull on the screen or run a DVD in it.

My CD player in one of my trucks, which sits out all winter refuses to run if the vehicle interior gets down below freezing.
TIDALWAVE
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 2:28pm
Thanks for the quick response, I also called my dealer in the Up of Michigan.  Service said that they do recommend bringing them in.  When I asked what the dealership does in the unsold units on the lot over the winter she said they leave them on the lot in the trailer.  Go figure.

Thanks
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>