R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 77>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ilthyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 3:19pm
Nice mod with the solar.
I have a 120 watt mounted on top of my truck. It is on a garage door sliding frame so it can be mounted and removed easily on the wheels. It also tilts to the proper angle for maximum sun angle. The plywood slab it sits on can be raised and acts as a slipstream deflector ( not needed so much now as my Ram 1500 outperforms my old Dakota, but on long trips it is significant.) I also have removable cross pieces so I can tote long objects. (Portabote in my future).
The panel charges an Eliminator batteryunit  which outputs 12v DC and fairly limited 110v AC. It will run my circular saw.
ilthyn
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 7:14pm
Sounds great, ilthyn! I gotta ask though, why not just run an inverter on your Ram 1500?

JandL, really well thought out and engineered, but I gotta ask...have you considered more storage, i.e. dual 6 volt GC batteries? I get at least 4 days out of my duals (230 amp/hr) and then I'm either back on the road or using my yammy 2400 to bring them back up. I love the idea of solar, but have a hard time justifying when I can go a month on a gallon or two of gas....for now.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
JandL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JandL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:40pm
I went with the single battery for simplicity. The problem with multiple batteries is after a while one would get weaker and the stronger battery would discharging into to the weaker battery to try to bring it to the same voltage. I would have purchased a group 31 but Costco doesn’t carry them. Someday when I have to replace it I will go to Sam’s Club because they carry group 31 batteries. Any battery bigger than that, I would need a forklift to lift it in place. I also have a generator, but the solar panel makes no noise.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
JandL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JandL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:44pm
Solar Panel cost
I am adding a price list to the solar panel installation I did my trailer

Manual reset circuit breaker 10 amps Bussmann #25510-B-2 $15.78 (Waytek Inc.)
Attwood marine Large Battery Box #9084-1 $22.57 (Amazon)
Parent Units 2 Pack Topple Stop Furniture Straps $15.66 set of 2 (Amazon)
Solar Pv Cable - 30ft / 12 AWG - Mc4 Solar Photovoltaic Copper Conductor Cable $17.00 (Amazon)
Camco Gray Party Light Holder # 42693 $6.48 Pack of 7 (Amazon)
Quick-Grip 4-Inch Handi-Clamp 59400CD $8.00 ea. 2 req. (Home Depot)
Morningstar SK-12 SunKeeper 12 Amp PWM Charge Controller 12 Volt $79.60 (Amazon)
Group 27 Battery #12852 $86.99 (Costco)
Grape Solar 100 watt panel #773274 $139.00 (Costco)
SB50 SB Series 50 Amp Anderson Powerpole Kit #SB50-10-RED $3.08 ea 2 req. (Powerwerx)
Dust Cover for SB50 Amp Series Housings #DUST-SB50 $3.49 (Powerwerx)
Safety Boot for SB50 Amp Housings # Boot-SB50 $3.29 (Powerwerx)

Total cost $408.94. If you take out the battery and battery box because everyone is going to need a battery and box or may have them already, the cost is $299.38
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by JandL

I went with the single battery for simplicity. The problem with multiple batteries is after a while one would get weaker and the stronger battery would discharging into to the weaker battery to try to bring it to the same voltage.

Two new identical batteries will not asymmetrically discharge, no matter if they are in series (6 volt) or parallel (12 volt)...as far as I know. I understand your logic, just want to make sure we pass along good info.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 10:24pm
Fred is correct.  Adnd if they are two 12 volt batteries they must be wired correctly (+ to one battery, - to the other battery).  Then they will be fine.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jonknite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonknite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 10:37am
I too prefer solar charging when possible, I bought an R-Pod because I can take it off the beaten path. There is NOTHING worse than the constant drone of someone's generator when I'm trying to get away from it all.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by JandL

I went with the single battery for simplicity. The problem with multiple batteries is after a while one would get weaker and the stronger battery would discharging into to the weaker battery to try to bring it to the same voltage. I would have purchased a group 31 but Costco doesn’t carry them. Someday when I have to replace it I will go to Sam’s Club because they carry group 31 batteries. Any battery bigger than that, I would need a forklift to lift it in place. I also have a generator, but the solar panel makes no noise.

This simply is not true with matched batteries that are properly wired and maintained. I have more than 40 years working with both small and large multi battery systems, 6v, 12v, and 24v systems, and have never seen this when done correctly.
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ilthyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 1:05pm
Not sure what you mean by powering an inverter off my Ram. It does have a 110v outlet in the cab but it is limited wattage. The solar is free and silent.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by ilthyn

Not sure what you mean by powering an inverter off my Ram. It does have a 110v outlet in the cab but it is limited wattage. The solar is free and silent.

I think he means why not hook an inverter to the Ram's battery, rather than carry another battery to hook it to, which is what you are doing now. It's just different ways to get to the same place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 77>