R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSmall Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Generator
    Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 2:24am
i have a small old Honda Generator EX650 and was wondering if this would be enough to run the inside 110v receptacles to charge cell phones and perhaps an electric coffee pot?

Is there a post that covers watts used on a Rpod?

Thanks for any advice.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:17am

Welcome to the forum!

A quick search revealed to me that this unit will do 650 watts peak, with 550 watts sustained. Check the data plate/sticker on your coffee pot. I'm guessing it will indicate more than 550 watts.

With this class of genset, IMHO just count on battery charging and light loads - such as charging your cell phone. Any cooking or coffee making - leave the job to propane.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:54am
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 12:01pm
+2

And welcome. See the link in my signature, I think one the links on that page lists amps for many of the items. You won't be able to run the microwave, or electric element on the water heater, or A/C.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:51pm
If you can forego the microwave or electric appliances, I recommend getting TWO batteries, and a 12 Volt DC to 120 VAC inverter, about 400 watts or so.  You can easily charge your battery powered devices from the camper batteries, run a small LED TV, or radio. Your small generator can charge the camper batteries no problem.

Also, when getting an inverter, it's very convenient to buy a unit that already has one or two USB ports built in.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
JoDa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:00pm
Thanks for the advice...this is kind of what I assumed.

I have two 6v Interstate batteries installed by the dealer with a solar panel for recharging them.

I  have a 600W invertor, but I need to install a 12v plugin to power it.

Where would be the best place to draw the 12v power source from?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:58pm
First, 600W is way overkill for the RPOD. It won't run the A/C or microwave so the only thing it might run is a low power coffee maker or so. Cell phones and iPods are best charged from small USB adapters plugged directly into a 12V socket. Computers should be charged with their car adapters plugged into 12V sockets. The only thing that might need an inverter is the TV and that would run on a 150W or less inverter.

Second, if you really want to install the 600W inverter remember it takes 50 Amps from the battery. It should be installed as close as possible to the battery, wired directly to the battery with #6AWG or larger wire, and separately fused. It should not be wired through the existing power panel. Lower power inverters can be wired to a spare fuse slot on the power panel.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:12pm
A 600 watt inverter sounds fine. Install directly to the incoming 12 VDC power cables using a fuse or breaker. It won't use 50 amps unless you use all 600 watts. It will have a slightly higher standby power draw because of it's size. 

I turn my inverter on to charge my phone (evening), kindle (rarely), and run the 22W max LED TV (almost never). I installed a small shelf next to the power converter panel under the dinette bench, saw cut a square hole so the inverter face could just stick out. I just reach in and turn the power switch on when I want to use it.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
JoDa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 11:17pm
Maybe I am missing something here, the inverter plugs into the 12v socket (yet to be installed)...but like all power, won't it supply just the power required, by the accessory plugged into it?

The real reason I am installing it is because the Wife uses a CPap unit at night, and without it, the campsite might think there is a bear roaming around...lol. The AC adapter on the CPap unit states 90W, so I am thinking that by installing the 12V plug, then plugging the 600W inverter to this, this should be fine with minimal draw on my two 6V batteries and between my small generator and the built in solar charger this should be fine for topping up the batteries in the morning?
K
The Inverter I have is the type that plugs into a 12v socket.

The question that I still have is where do I draw the 12V power from and what would be a good area to do this with a decent ground?

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by JoDa

Maybe I am missing something here, the inverter plugs into the 12v socket (yet to be installed)...but like all power, won't it supply just the power required, by the accessory plugged into it?

The Inverter I have is the type that plugs into a 12v socket.

The question that I still have is where do I draw the 12V power from and what would be a good area to do this with a decent ground?

You are correct that the inverter will draw what power it is required to deliver plus some efficiency loss and some overhead for control circuitry. Therefore a 90W load will cause it to draw about 100W or 8.33A at 12V. That kind of draw  can be accommodated by 12V cigarette lighter type socket. It should be wired with #12AWG or larger wire and connected to an unused fuse position on the power panel. The ground is available on a ground bus strip behind the power panel. The correct bus has bare wires on it and has no white wires. I still question the 600W inverter that plugs in to a 12V socket. Those sockets are typically rated no higher than 15A.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>