Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar hook up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar hook up
    Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 11:34am
I want to hook up solar to my 2017 R POD 180 and was researching the different panels out there. Is there anyone that has suggestions as far as wattage required and if there is a big difference between panels?
  The solar kit I was looking at is the ECO WORTHY 100 watt kit on Amazon as the price is really good ($209.00) and comparing it with other companies it looks the same as the $350.00 unit from another company.
 Any info would be appreciated.
  Thanks, Dan

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 1:21pm
Hello and welcome from San Antonio! Well, to get it right the first time depends on all kinds of questions. Like: What does it include? Does it have all the connectors, feedline, charge controller, and stand or mounting hardware, etc...some deals do some deals don't and those parts can add up pretty fast. Also, know that there are currently 3 types of solar cell technology I think the most efficient right now is still the monocrystaline panel, the others have a place as well. Also, will a 100w panel serve your purpose? What are you trying to accomplish with solar? All good solar projects include a power consumption survey for proper solar panel sizing so you don't over buy or under buy. Sometimes a small inverter generator is a better solution. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Heartshot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 3:46pm
Hi,

I am no solar expert, but I got this one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Monocrystalline-Foldable-Suitcase/dp/B00HR8YNK6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1465674107&sr=8-4&keywords=solar+panel+for+rv&refinements=p_89%3ARenogy) and it has worked very well. Folds up for easy storage, has a good converter and built in stand. Keeps the batteries in my Pod topped up, and I camp almost exclusively off the grid. I'm in CO, so we have lots of sun, as do neighboring states. Did 5 days in Utah this spring on BLM and batteries never fell below full.
Danny boy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 1:21pm
Thanks for the info guys it was helpful. I checked out that solar panel on Amazon and it looks like that one would work great for my needs.
 Thanks again, Dan
Danny boy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 6:41pm
Since I'm a newbie I need to ask a question that might get a response like "DA" but I will ask it anyway.
 I was wondering if there is a get together for I POD owners in northern California this summer.
 My wife and I live in Pioneer, that's in the foothills between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, would anyone know of such a get together someplace near there?
 Thanks, Dan
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 11:02am
All of the get-togethers posted on this forum are here:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=23&title=events-and-campouts

You can find more on other forums, although depending on the forum it may be brand and/or model-specific.  Most (all?) here, aren't.  You can also start your own!

No such thing as a dumb question here.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Westgl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 3:43pm
I am testing my new to me Renogy 100w solar suitcase panels.

I am charging up some car batteries, that I have,  that are in good condition.

Both batteries are around 12.56 volts before connecting solar panels, and controller went up to 18 volts at 4.2 amps input is what it looks like it is telling me, then backed off somewhat,
and the output was at about 14.10 volt, at 2.8 amps and reducing from there.

So overall I am liking this setup.
2010 RAV4 V6
2017 RPOD 179 Hood River Edition
Dual 6 volt Batts
Dual propane Tanks
Batt Disconnect
Bed leg extension
Dinette modification
Renogy 100w solar
Motorcycles several currently
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 8:06pm
Hey Danny Boy 

My wife and I have a 179 rpod and we also live in Pioneer, Ca. Between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. Will come to the group.  John
Danny boy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 7:09pm
Let's see if we can get a "get together" at Bear River Reservoir at the end of their camping season, which is the last weekend of September. My wife and I camped there last year at that time and it was awesome as there was nobody there. I only counted 4 sites that were filled besides ours. The weather is great that time of year, the lake is in great shape this year (unlike last year when the lake was about 70 feet low from the drought), filled up to the top, and the snow up above is still melting. Hoping for some good fishing this year. We went up there for Father's Day to do a little fishing and a little 4-wheeling. We had a fun day. If this sounds like a fun long weekend to enough fellow R-POD owners, I will do the homework to make it happen.

Let me know if it sounds like fun to anyone ~ Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply