R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInterior/Exterior Sealing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interior/Exterior Sealing
    Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:58am
Buying a new R-Pod and the dealer offered a interior and exterior sealant. It is supposed to protect the outside  against damage from sun, salt, and other things. Don't  have to wax it and warranted for 5 years. Interior prevents 99% of mold and warranted for 5 years. Fir an extra ten bucks a month on the payment. Has anyone done this and is it worth it, Or a waste of money?
Roy & Dudi
2017 R-Pod 180 "PODdy Time"
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:57am
I would be quite skeptical of these claims. Controlling humidity is the key to preventing mold growth. I don't know if a sealer would be able to do that. It might help if it meant that water would not soak into walls, etc. but I would want to know what product is being used so I could check out the claims for it online first. The same with the exterior sealant. I don't know of any one product that would be good for 5 years. I can't find any products in my searching the web that will last for 5 years without some sort of maintenance. Polymer paint sealants are much improved, and nano-coatings for boats (gel coat, like our R-Pods) only claim to last for a season. There are a few that claim to last for 5 years, but even those do not claim to be maintenance free.

Find out what product the dealer intends to use on both exterior and interior and check it out on the web before you commit to this expenditure. You did not say how many payments this would be or what the total price for this would end up being. Don't look at the $10/payment. Look at the total price and then decide if the claims of the dealer are worth the expenditure. you may find that you can do it yourself for a whole lot less than the dealer wants to charge.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:42am
Wow! I'd sure like to read the fine print on that one! A fiberglass coating that doesn't require waxing for five years?! Impossible. Sounds like the old "undercoating" scam to me.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CoosBayRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 10:15am
Yea, I'm pretty skeptical myself and will definitely do more research on this before I make my decision, which will most likely be no...
Roy & Dudi
2017 R-Pod 180 "PODdy Time"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:20pm
A scam to get more money out of you.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Halibut57 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:46pm
Made the big decision this weekend and looking forward to picking up our new Pod in a couple of weeks. Dealer offered the DuraTain Protective Coating(s) (exterior, undercoating, interior textile, awning and leather).  They warranty the exterior/interior coatings for 5 years, under coating for 10 years.  Been reading various RV sites and comments do vary.  Some support purchasing (not inexpensive) and many are wary.  Curious if any R-POd owners on the forum have had any experience first hand?  Remember well the undercoating push when purchasing a new auto.  Consumer Reports advises against such
add-on's.

Looking forward to learning about our new toy from experienced users.  Already enjoying the "Modifications" forum.

Thanks

2017 R-Pod 179
2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply