Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our next big adventure - West Coast
    Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 1:00am
Now in a rest stop in AZ 2 or so hours from the Grand Canyon, where we will be starting tomorrow mid-day.  Limited connection so I won't get to catch up on other's posts on the forum.  I bumped into another podder couple today in Tucamacari, NM.  Lots of driving over the last 2 days.  Went through Greensburg, KS where the EF5 tornado wiped out the town in 2007 and was featured on Discovery as they rebuilt (all green).  Hit 108 F yesterday, I've had to cut my speed in the afternoon the last 2 days to manage engine temps.  Got an oil change today so at least I'm working with fresh oil over the mountain passes.  Enjoying the changing scenery from prairie to mesas!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 9:12am
after you get done in Wichita head west to Dodge then north to Scott state park  park  just need some care  just outside of the park is the site of the last Indian battle in Ks also monument  Rock  then north and back on I-70 take a left and on to Co.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 12:14am
Hello from El Dorado State Park in Kansas.  We did the Arch tour yesterday and then headed to Lake of the Ozarks State Park.  Today we traveled along US 54 through the steep rolling hills of Missouri and into the plains of Kansas.  I did see signs for Flint Hills on the way here - I encountered winds most of the day but my current setup with the WDH and radial tires made it fairly easy to handle.  Tomorrow we plan to go into Wichita for the day and then come back to El Dorado.
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 10:14pm
be careful driving through the Flint hills in KS the wind can be tricky at times. also remember eastern KS about 900ft above sea level  Denver is a mile high.   up hill all the way. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:38pm
The Museum of the USAF was great, a very extensive collection.  I didn't realize there were so many aircraft models over the years.  I was happy to see the Apollo 15 capsule there, and it was sobering to see Bockscar, the plane that dropped the 2nd atomic bomb (we've seen the Enola Gay in DC so this completed the "pairing").  They just opened up a new hangar a few weeks ago so we were fortunate to see that.

Today we traveled to Marengo Cave.  Not as extensive or as many growths as Carlsbad or Mammoth Cave, but not bad.  A bit expensive, though (privately owned).  We are stopped for the night halfway to St. Louis, but we arrived at the campground an hour late because we received a Tornado Warning earlier.  After a quick look at NOAA's radar/warning map I realized it was directly ahead of us on I-64.  I had just filled up with gas so we hung around there as the Tornado Warning transitioned to a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, and with the winds whipping light poles and trees around there was no way I was going to pull my trailer through that.  So we sat and enjoyed the show - and we weren't the only ones, the parking lot quickly filled up with sensible people.

Tomorrow will be the Arch and more driving.
Unclewillis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 4:30am
Heading to vegas?? Awesome. We live there. If you have any questions me know. We will be starting our 2 week Pod-venture on july 16. Tour of Utah national and state parks in the ole 176-T

Daddy, Mommy and Daughter.
BlackJack & Keno (boston Terriers)
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 8:49pm
First day of driving in, 10.5 hours including stops.  Now sitting at John Bryan State Park in OH.  I met Melissa and Brian (hope I got the names right), who are here on their maiden voyage in their new-to-them 178.  Told them to stop by with any questions.  Sitting here by the fire with a sweatshirt on, a little chilly.  Hard to believe in 10 days when we are in the Las Vegas area it will be near 110.

We will be visiting the National Air Force Museum tomorrow.
kindell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 4:52am
Anybody going to the Rally in Deadwood, SD? July 14 to 17?
Art & Kindell
Cooper the Super Dog
2017 Keystone Bullet 265
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton

Former 2015 RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:18pm
WillThrill, you'll have to give a good report since we'll be right on your heels.  We won't stay in Yosemite but we will be visiting.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:15pm
Have large freezer in the Salem, will travel!

Just had a large crab feast in the backyard 2 weeks ago.  Had to rig up a massive tarp to keep everyone dry, and rented heaters (in May! that's when things were unusually cool), but we pulled it off.  Can do it again...

Speaking of fish, one of the best trout fisheries in the US is 10 minutes from my house.  Always welcome to land the pod and go fishing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>