R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery question
    Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 12:26pm
Hello Podders,
     I'm in my 5th season with my 2012 177 and this last weekend my two 6 volt batteries didn't hold a charge like they have in the past. We mainly dry camp and I am used to starting a long weekend with a charge of 12.50 to 12.75 volts and ending around 12.25. This last weekend I checked the charge when we arrived at camp and it was at 12.05.
      Can deep cycle batteries be tested? I'd hate to replace them and then find out I have some other problem. Is four years about all you can expect from a battery?

Thanks!
Rob
2012 HRE 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 12:41pm
Battery longevity has so many variables it's hard to say. I have seen very good batteries ruined in a couple months, and our last set still tested 100% at 5 years when we replaced them. Your batteries can be tested, batteries plus, AutoZone, etc. can do it.  
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 2:57pm
I presume you keep them topped up with water.   One would expect the 6v GC batteries to last 6 yrs or so, but maybe you just got lucky.  Get them load tested.  
Robwid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 5:16pm
Yep, I've kept them topped up and charged. I'll get them tested.

Thanks!
Rob
2012 HRE 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 9:48pm
I have a single 12 volt battery and I posted a tester I use under “Reviews and General Information”. I also have a cheap Hydrometer to test Specific Gravity in each cell (Thexton THE115 Battery Tester $9 at Amazon) It has 4 colored balls and if the cell is good all balls float. I just use it to look for a change over time. The same thing with my SOLAR BA5 meter. When the battery's are charging what is the voltage output from the charger? With a battery that low the output for the quick charge is 14.4 volts and once it had charged for a time it would drop to normal charge of 13.6 volts

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7674&title=battery-tester
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Robwid

Yep, I've kept them topped up and charged. I'll get them tested.

Thanks!

If their water levels are maintained (with distilled water only), golf cart batteries can be cycled to 50% charge and back up to 100% typically 200-250 times.  Depending on how much you've used them, it is possible that you have used them that much in four years.  At this point, since they aren't holding a charge, I'm willing to bet that your batteries are toast and cannot be revived.

The other factor that often gets overlooked is what temperature they are stored in when you're not camping.  Most battery chargers, including the one in your Pod, are not temperature sensitive, meaning that they give the battery the same charge regardless of the temperature they are in.  Over long periods of time, this can lead to the batteries being either undercharged, which leads to sulfation and kills the battery, or overcharged, which can boil off the water in the batteries and expose the lead plates to the air, which also kills the battery.

That's why I only use temperature sensitive battery maintainers at home.  My personal favorite is the Battery Minder #1500, but there are several good ones out there.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:22pm
Even if they are going downhill, if they are still maintaining enough charge for what you need, you might get away with another season before replacement.  Two golf cart batts for a weekend trip is overkill, usually.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply