R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClearance at Gas Stations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WillG View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clearance at Gas Stations
    Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 6:19pm
Well I finally picked up our rp179 last week, we had it for a while but then had to acquire a truck to pull it....   we'll need to figure out where to park it some day...  anyways driving back from dealer I set my gps to get me home - almost an hour drive. It was rush hour around Portland, OR & instead of taking me on a highway (26) it took me on a very winding, hilly 2 lane road where speed limits are always ignored. Surprisingly I didn't find it stressful or that tough at all even though it was the first time I pulled the thing. Just got back from a parking lot and driving it around before I get brave enough to try to turn it into our back alley and see if I can back it up into the spot in front of our garage - which leads me to clearance requiring a little trimming but your tip on getting a wheel for the tongue I think will due the trick if it gets to tight for me. Do any of you have experience with tongue jacks & wheels? Specifically do some roll / turn easier than others / are they all solid wheels and is there a better brand?  I purchased a fastway flip jack - but haven't installed it yet... I figure I can just throw the wheel in the truck & use in a pinch.  Thanks for your suggestions! Hopefully I can pass down some wisdom in the not to distant future
R-Podder by process of elimination
2014 RP179
2011 GMC CrewCab Short Bed
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:22pm
If your tongue jack doesn't have a wheel on the end you can get one.  No need to brute-force the tongue around.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by techntrek

And when you back up, put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel.  If you want the pod to go to your right, move your hand to the right.  If things start going wrong, it is almost always better to just pull forward a few feet and start over.  Never take your eyes off of your mirrors or you will jackknife faster than you can sneeze.  There is more discussion on this in the link in my signature.

As for maneuvering in parking lots and gas stations, a lot of that just comes with experience.  I always look ahead and figure out how I'm going to move before I do it.  I have even gotten out and walked around to be sure.  At the very worst you could unhitch the pod and turn it around manually (you can't do that with bigger campers), but once you are comfortable backing up that won't even be necessary.  And all of this becomes much harder with a longer camper, so be happy you have a pod to learn on.  Smile

Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought of being able to unhitch and reposition the Rpod. That would take a bit of brute force with 300 lbs. tongue weight. But it would be an option with some help if necessary. But the thought of practice and experience preventing being in such a situation is comforting. I'll be taking my first trip with the Rpod 171 in three weeks, going over a few mountain passes. But I'll just be careful and not in a rush. This forum has been a big help with many of the questions I've had.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:52pm
And when you back up, put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel.  If you want the pod to go to your right, move your hand to the right.  If things start going wrong, it is almost always better to just pull forward a few feet and start over.  Never take your eyes off of your mirrors or you will jackknife faster than you can sneeze.  There is more discussion on this in the link in my signature.

As for maneuvering in parking lots and gas stations, a lot of that just comes with experience.  I always look ahead and figure out how I'm going to move before I do it.  I have even gotten out and walked around to be sure.  At the very worst you could unhitch the pod and turn it around manually (you can't do that with bigger campers), but once you are comfortable backing up that won't even be necessary.  And all of this becomes much harder with a longer camper, so be happy you have a pod to learn on.  Smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 5:18pm
Good tip!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 5:07pm
Practice! Practice! Practice! Make the time to practice maneuvering your R-Pod in an empty lot. If you have access to some traffic cones (even the toy ones) then set them up and maneuver in and around them. Get comfortable with your tow vehicle and trailer so that if a tight situation comes, you will already have some experience.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Rustler

Originally posted by Mountainrev

Originally posted by furpod

Yep.. turning radius, curbs,and those idiot poles protecting the pumps, THOSE are the dangers.

That will ruin the rest of your day.  Or so I've heard.  *AHEM*

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. That brings to mind another question - really a fear:

How in towing a travel trailer do you avoid getting in situations where you are stuck, so to speak? By this I mean getting into a narrow street or parking lot where you can't go forward or easily back up. I guess that comes with experience. But I would hate to have the experience where I can't make a tight corner in a parking lot and can't back up because of cars behind. Any thoughts or words of wisdom in this regard?

OMG this is my biggest fear......new owner, female, traveling alone and getting stuck!!!  My first voyage is this weekend!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Grey51shadw

Thanks Stephen. I appreciate the tip on protecting the paint.   Do you find the tow mirrors enough visual while driving interstates and maneuvering around gas stations?

They provide sufficient visibility. What they don't provide is a view directly behind. The only way to get that would be to have a rear-view camera. However, the mirrors are sufficient as long as one maintains situational awareness which includes being aware of what is behind farther back but getting closer. For passing, I allow a comfortable cushion of space before cutting back to the right. Since I limit my speed to 60 mph, most of the time, people are passing me though. As previously stated by others, the trailer's track will be to the inside of the car's track. I allow for this. For gas stations, the mirrors are more than adequate to help me ensure that I don't hit the pump or the "idiot poles."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
danorte View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:53am
We have used the suction cup mirror ext. They have safety cord and suck on the mirror. Good for us on freeway, dirt, gravel etc. As to tight spots. We may drive around the block, send the messenger to look to make sure it is a drive around or oops. IF in the tight situation as said most folks will help get you out of the tight spot. In the forest however we mark places to turn around and check odometer. Then you will know how far you may have to back up. North
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:13am
Just remember the trailer will cut the corner compared to the tow vehicle .  The sharper the turn, the mor it cuts in.  A vacant school parking lot on a weekends a good place to practice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>