R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's under the 174-175 couch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's under the 174-175 couch?
    Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 6:32pm

I was wondering if anyone could post a picture of what might be under the couch in the slideout of the 174 and 175.

I was thinking of removing the couch that comes with the Pod and replace it with a single-bed chair since the sofa from FR is way too small for an adult. But I heard that there was some mechanical stuff under there. So, I would love to know in advance if I have to change my plans.

I am still waiting to get my 174. I cannot wait! I think I am dreaming of my next summer in my pod every day Tongue Ermm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 7:31pm
I own a 175. Facing the couch, under the left side of the couch is the water pump. In the middle is the motor and support for the slide. The right side is pretty well open. The Bottom of the slide is about 18" off the floor. You really wouldnt gain any thing from a single seat. I removed the board that was screwed below the couch, behind the trim fabric and use the area to the right for storage.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 11:15pm
Thanks, Throttle! I was wondering if I could just take off that pesky cardboard cover and you answered that question- and found a great place to store shoes too!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 11:21pm
By the way cybspod- I don't know if anyone else has tried sleeping on the couch, but we both have taken naps on it and found it surprisingly comfortable. While John had the dinette up and was working on the computer, I unfolded the couch and had my legs stretched out onto the dinette seat which is at the same level- it was really more comfortable than it sounds. One night John was too restless to stay in bed, and he folded down the couch and fell right asleep there- also with legs extetended onto bed....and he is 6'2".
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 2:00am
I wanted to take it out because when my daughter (who is 16)  will have a friend coming over camping with us, I would not really feel comfortable with the feet of her (or his) friend on mine Tongue 

Also, I was hoping to create a small space beside the single-bed chair for a drawers unit since it might happen that I will have to work on the weekend. So I was thinking of putting my work stuff there and it would support my laptop while I am chilling on the chair. Seems I will have to change my plans.

But I am not giving up! I will find a way around Big smile

I have all winter to come up with new plans to do as spring time before summer time Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Tusten Traveler

By the way cybspod- I don't know if anyone else has tried sleeping on the couch, but we both have taken naps on it and found it surprisingly comfortable. While John had the dinette up and was working on the computer, I unfolded the couch and had my legs stretched out onto the dinette seat which is at the same level- it was really more comfortable than it sounds. One night John was too restless to stay in bed, and he folded down the couch and fell right asleep there- also with legs extetended onto bed....and he is 6'2".

See my post about 4 posts into this thread:  http://www.rpodnation.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=799&title=bedding-for-171-175-177  .   I've actually made an L-shaped mattress topper so that I can sleep on the 175 couch.
Serendipity View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 6:02pm
Hi,
    We have a 2012 Model 175. I boxed in the area under the slide out couch and will post some photos. I used 2x2 furing strips front and back, then screwed them down and used masonite paneling to finish it. After boxing it in, we found boxes/baskets that just fit under the couch for storage. It gives a lot of useful storage.
John
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:20pm
Quick suggestion - resize each pic to about 6 x 8 and edit your post with the new pics, that will end the need to scroll side to side.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 2:54am
Did you have to remove the couch to do this mod?

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Serendipity View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 10:08am
Hi Terry,
   I did not have to remove the couch. I did have to lay down on the floor and do the work though.
John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>