R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUsing an LP generator with the Pod?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using an LP generator with the Pod?
    Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:56am
It seems no one really chooses to go this route. Is this mainly just a heavy consumption issue or are there other major drawbacks? This one at HD is $799 (Generac LP5500). I have virtually no experience dry camping in the Rpod 180 yet, so I'm in the education mode. I'm pretty familiar with all the brand and size threads, but I can't find much about LP. Thanks! 

Generac 5,500-Watt Propane Liquid Powered Portable Generator
Steve
2016 R-Pod 180
2011 F-150 FX4 Supercrew V8
Middle Tennessee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:20am
a) you don't need near 5500 watts.
b) it's going to be heavy, (+220 pounds when fueled) and noisy.
c) it's 220v AC native, so it's going to be unhappy running a single leg hard for any length of time.
d) it's a steady state genny, so it's going to not only burn a lot of fuel making watts you don't need and can't use, it's ALWAYS going to run that way.

I can find no LP native, small inverter generator. That's why you don't see them discussed. They don't exist.

Generac does have a LP3250, which would be somewhat better then this for pod use, but still not a viable answer for most. I note they give no dB rating.. that means.. "loud as heck".. Not going to be fun to camp around..
Ten16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:29am
Originally posted by furpod

a) you don't need near 5500 watts.
b) it's going to be heavy, (+220 pounds when fueled) and noisy.
c) it's 220v AC native, so it's going to be unhappy running a single leg hard for any length of time.
d) it's a steady state genny, so it's going to not only burn a lot of fuel making watts you don't need and can't use, it's ALWAYS going to run that way.

I can find no LP native, small inverter generator. That's why you don't see them discussed. They don't exist.

Generac does have a LP3250, which would be somewhat better then this for pod use, but still not a viable answer for most. I note they give no dB rating.. that means.. "loud as heck".. Not going to be fun to camp around..

So other than those issues...It's Perfect!!! Thanks for the info. I'm very happy to have this forum to lean on. 

I guess I'm back to trying decide between paying X for a 2000W or quite a bit more to run the AC. 

Thanks again for the info! 
Steve
2016 R-Pod 180
2011 F-150 FX4 Supercrew V8
Middle Tennessee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 12:25pm
If you don't have to have Honda quality, reliability, and reputation, there are less expensive alternatives.

These just popped up on the radar.. some podders have bought them, as a pair, early reports are good. Still not Honda good.. but..

The Yamaha 2400iSCH has a very good reputation, and all reports are it runs the pod a/c fine..
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:18pm
Costco has a Champion #100204 Duel Fuel 2800 watt generator for $849. It's an inverter type generator, runs on gas or propane. I have the gas only model
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by JandL

Costco has a Champion #100204 Duel Fuel 2800 watt generator for $849. It's an inverter type generator, runs on gas or propane. I have the gas only model

I don't see it on Cosco's site, but Champion does say they now make such a thing. You lose some capability running it on LP, but it still *should* start the pods a/c.
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 4:31pm
On gas, the running watts are 2800 (23 amps) and on propane 2520 (21 amps).
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:10pm
Another issue is fuel density.  LP has about 73% of the energy of gasoline, plus a 20 pound LP tank has 4.7 gallons (many tank exchange companies put in much less).  So you'll need more tanks of LP.  

On the road it is harder to find places to fill up LP tanks.

Gasoline generators have their own built-in tank; when you are using LP you have to fiddle around with the separate tank.  On the road my genset is chained to the front of my truck.  I pull in, open the box the genset is in and I start it.  No extra "fiddle factor".
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:09pm
Here is the link to the Champion Generator. Right now it is only available from Costco.
Up to 8 hour run time at 25% load (Gasoline)
Up to 19 hour run time at 25% load (20 lb./5 gal. standard Propane tank)

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/inverters/100204-2800w-3100w-dual-fuel-inverter-generator/
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 7:18am

I have the Champion 2K watts inverter generator and have been pleased with it. I saw ( a week or two ago) that Camping World had them for just under $500.

It will not run the A/C. My thought on that subject is - if I need to run the A/C, I'll camp somewhere with hook ups. Running a generator all day, at full throttle, would be annoying and expensive. We can't run them at night due to the "quiet hours".
 Post Reply Post Reply