R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge protectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surge protectors
    Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 10:21am

Hello fellow rpoders,

Is a surge protector really an essential item.

Do you use one and if so which do you recommend ?

Some are pretty pricey....I know, some will say: you get what you pay for...blah, blah, blah....

Let's have someone demystify the surge protector....should we or should we not use one ?

Lou
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:04am
"surge protector", as in one of those cheap power strips that claims to have some surge protection?  Don't bother.

A more elaborate surge protector, maybe something designed to handle the whole 'pod?  Probably not worth it but can't hurt.  I have a whole-house surge protector at home but we get lightning strikes often so its definitely worth it (well pump was fried years ago and our satellite system more recently).

A proper "voltage regulator" that will boost low voltage levels if the campground voltage is low?  Also not worth it most of the time for a casual camper.  You might find a day in the middle of the summer a few years from now when the voltage is too low to run your A/C properly and this would help, but it would be rare.  Full-timers might get more use from one.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 3:10pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 7:17pm
Great Link Terry ... Thanks for sharing

What do you recommend ???

HAPPY PODing !!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 3:54am
There isn't a real big chance that your campers electronics will get fried.  BUT, it only takes 1 good surge and there goes everything.  There is a good chance that you will hook up to an electrical post that is wired wrong though.  Campgrounds don't use an electrician to rewire or install the hookups.  That is usually done by their handyman.

I use the one I tell about in that link.  It's expensive but it works very well.

Terry
 Post Reply Post Reply