R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeing Prepared for a flat tire on your pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Don Halas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being Prepared for a flat tire on your pod
    Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:14am
Well I'm not limiting my concern to the blow-outs caused by tires of questionable quality but any blow-out that occurs on the road.

The questionable quality of the Chinese tires just makes this unfortunate circumstance more likely.

I guess I'm looking for re-assurance that typically a tire blow out doesn't involve much more inconvenience than using the spare and continuing on your journey. Albeit a stop at a tire or rv store will be necessary in the near future.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:26am
My earlier post addressed the question of damage to the pod(none) after a blowout.  The latest question Don asked was about the 'chinese bombs'. This is likely to start a whole new group of posts about tires.

I will add that my blowout was not because of 'chinese bombs". My blowout was caused by running over road debris.  I could not avoid it because I was in a center lane of a a 3 lane interstate with traffic on both sides of me.

I replaced all 3 of my tires with Maxxis 8008 units about 2 years ago.   I had them balanced and metal valve stems installed.I have had no problems with them. they hold air/nitrogen well and don't leak or lose pressure.

I would not hesitate to recommend them or buy them again myself.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:17am
This thread has shifted towards changing the flat. My concern is what effect the blowout will have to things other than the tire.

Is it likely that after a blow-out the tire can be replaced and you're back on the road. I've got concerns that based upon the single axle and size of the trailer, that at least the wheel (not rim) will be damaged from running without the tire. Or perhaps the frame or stabilizer jacks will get wrecked dragging on the road.

What have the problems been to some of those who've experienced this, and under what conditions (highway, back road, traffic jam, etc.). I see the one example earlier in the thread that resulted in minimal problems, but is that typical?

I'm not just looking for horror stories, but I do have concerns about travelling on a busy highway at 60 mph and one of these questionable Chinese tires blow.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:43pm
Ditto on the TV's scissor jack.

And make sure you check your lug nut torque before every trip (until the lugs seat themselves), and your tire pressure which will reduce your chance of having a blowout.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Jeffpugman

Okay. We have a long trip planned this summer and now I'm spooked about having a flat. I would love some advice on what type of floor jack to get. There are many types, weights, etc. Don't want to get more than I need for my 179.

You don't need to get an expensive, heavy-duty floor jack if you're only going to use it for your R-pod.  They weigh under 3,000 lbs., and you're only lifting one wheel--the rest of the weight will be distributed between the other wheel and the tongue.  A 2-ton would be more than adequate.  They can be had for well under $50.

As far as being spooked, though, let me just say that in towing campers for almost 25 years (and probably somewhere north of 100,000 miles), I've never experienced a blow-out.  I've had a blowout or two in my tow vehicle, but not in the camper.  That's not saying you won't, but it's far from a common occurrence. 

Another thought:  I've been able to use the scissors jack that's in my tow vehicle to jack up the Pod in our driveway.  You may not need to purchase or haul around a floor jack.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
Jeffpugman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:21pm
Okay. We have a long trip planned this summer and now I'm spooked about having a flat. I would love some advice on what type of floor jack to get. There are many types, weights, etc. Don't want to get more than I need for my 179.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:56am
Another problem with a bottle jack is that it won't lift the pod high enough to put a fully inflated tire on the wheel.  We have a scissors jack, use it in combo with a bottle jack.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:58pm
Not a good idea, even with an emergency.  Stabilizer is not meant to lift the pod, could do some damage to the rail/frame it is attached to.  Use a floor jack please.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Pod People

...We did learn a very valuable lesson from this incident.  I had a bottle jack, my torque wrench with proper socket and all of the wheel chocks.  the problem was that the bottle jack was too tall to fit under the axle mounting brackets when the tire was flat....

Wow! Great tip Vann! I use a bottle jack all the time to lift my pod, but honestly never considered lifting it with a flat tire. Floor jack on order! Just curious if you considered lifting with stabilizers just enough to get jack under? I'd hate to do it, but might consider in an emergency.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:15pm
We had a blowout on our last trip.  We were on a 4 lane interstate. Luckily my wife was looking in her passenger side mirror helping me move over a lane to the right and saw the tire bulging. she alerted me about the same time as the tire blew. I was able to immediately pull over on to the shoulder.  the Pod did not fishtail, sway or do anything unexpected. We suffered no damage to the pod fender, rim  or axle.

We did learn a very valuable lesson from this incident.  I had a bottle jack, my torque wrench with proper socket and all of the wheel chocks.  the problem was that the bottle jack was too tall to fit under the axle mounting brackets when the tire was flat.  We waited on the side of the road andsoon a roving safety/repair service stopped and had a floor jack.  We changed the tire in about 5 minutes and I tipped the driver $20. We went to a near by tire service and got a new tire. We stopped at the closest Harbor Freight and paid about $80 for a floor model jack.  the jack I bought has a 3.5" minimum height and weighs about 35 pounds. I have practiced with this jack and it works great.

I hope there will never be another flat tire or blowout.  but I feel prepared now with the proper equipment to take care of it myself

Vann.

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>