R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCargo limit question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cargo limit question
    Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:34am
Perhaps this has been asked before.  I notice the cargo limit on the 180 is ~997lbs, and a full tank of water is around 450lbs or something.  That gives you only ~500lbs of cargo to load.    That doesn't seem like much considering dishes in cabinets, clothes, food in fridge, our bodies, etc.  Seems like we would be border line max capacity sitting at the campsite.  I understand that it recommended to empty water tanks before driving.  I also see people adding additional propane tanks, more batteries, decorations.  Is it just more of a concern when driving, and sitting stationary isn't a big deal? Would hate to bend my axle.  I seen some people upgraded theirs to 5000lbs. I guess the question is, am i unnecessarily worrying?
David
2017 r-Pod 180
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:55pm
Yes, it's an issue when towing. When sitting at the site the axle isn't doing anything. The stabilizers would carry any extra load..

and yes, you are worrying about an issue that isn't.
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:04pm
A full tank of water (30 gallons) is only 250lbs.  Then the hot water heater holds 6 gallons thats another 50lbs.  (Water is 8.3lbs per gallon)

So that adds up to 300 lbs.  Which gives you a little more usable cargo weight.  

So basically that leaves you with almost 700 lbs for the rest of your gear.  That would be a lot of stuff.  We go out to get away from it all...  Not bring it all with us!!  Big smile
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:11pm
   There have been campers this has been a problem our camper is one of them. At first they built our camper with a 3,500 lb axle then near the last year of it's production the 3,500 lb. axle was replaced with a 4,400 lb. axle. There were axles that were bending from being over loaded with the 3,500 lb. axle. With the Vibes the dry weight was near 3,000 lbs. which is heavier than the r-pods. If you look at some of the single axle micro lites they are over 3,000 lbs with a 3,500 lb axle. The cargo weight is considering part of the weight will be on the tow vehicle including the hitch weight. I think it is kind of misleading but maybe that's just my thinking.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:29pm
Nope you're right ^^^. 10-15% of the weight should be on the tongue, not the axle. I don't tow with a full tank of fresh water ever, but fill at the nearest available supply to my final destination. There is no real good reason to pull 30 gallons of water cross country. If you are dry camping, 30 gallons isn't going to last you long enough to justify pulling it 500 miles anyway. At least in my opinion. What are you trying to do???

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:46pm
A few hundred pounds won't affect your mpg, the only thing that does is the aerodynamics of the front wall of the camper as it goes down the road.  On our last 3 cross-country trips I've kept the water tank full at all times.

An example.  Our prior TV was a Sienna.  It got 23 mpg for daily driving.  It pulled our 3500 pound (fully loaded) popup at 16 mpg.  It pulled our 3300 pound (fully loaded) pod at 10-12 mpg.  When we switched to our Suburban it pulled the pod at 10 mpg.  Switch to our 2008 Salem - which is taller and wider and around 6000 pounds - and it pulls it at around 9 mpg.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply